Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 12th September 2015, 14:29   #1 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,802 Times in 4,714 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute
Lights switch for pool

When we got here , the heavy rain (and the crap silicone the builders used) had taken their toll on the pump room ...it was flooded right up to the brim , luckily, we had taken the pump out when we left last time, but the electrics were all underwater
Rather than do it myself (I had enough to do anyway) , I got a local firm in to sort it after pumping the water out and letting everything dry out for a week

They were really good, cleaning the pool out, acid washing it and re grouting the bottom ...the electrics obviously needed replacing which they did for a pretty good price , putting in a new transformer for the lights and a new switch box with 2 switches, one for the lights and one for the pump

I wanted everything automatic, so a timer was fitted and also a ball cock to fill the overflow room , both of which (eventually) worked fine .the only bugbear is the position of the big switch , it has to be under an overhang , so's as not to get any water dripping on it BUT that means, to switch on the lights, you have to go down the metal ladder built into the wall and that's not a good idea with your posh clothes on (people round for drinky poos etc)

So I asked if it would be possible to remote the switch (ie, leave the main switch permanantly on and use the remoted switch to actually turn the lights on ) to which I got "Needs electician,.....expensive"

The annoying thing is there is only one electric feed to the pump room which you can switch on and off from inside the villa on the circuit breaker board, BUT it then switches both the pump AND lights on at the same time and since fitting the timer is a no no

Now I'm no dummy when it comes to electrics so I am thinking of doing it myself (when I get a little better ) , by re wiring the wire from the switch to the transformer , up to a waterproof switch, located nearer the surface and making a cover and siliconing it over the new switch to prevent any drips on it and the cable, as it enters the new switch

I have re sealed around the hatch (properly), so water cascading in, shouldn't be a problem anymore, although we do get a little condensation on the PVC hatch cover when it's closed

here is what I'm on about ...and if anybody (eg Yalimart) knows of a decent type of switch or any bugbears, I'd be greatful of the info

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 12th September 2015, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lights switch for pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted j View Post
When we got here , the heavy rain (and the crap silicone the builders used) had taken their toll on the pump room ...it was flooded right up to the brim , luckily, we had taken the pump out when we left last time, but the electrics were all underwater
Rather than do it myself (I had enough to do anyway) , I got a local firm in to sort it after pumping the water out and letting everything dry out for a week

They were really good, cleaning the pool out, acid washing it and re grouting the bottom ...the electrics obviously needed replacing which they did for a pretty good price , putting in a new transformer for the lights and a new switch box with 2 switches, one for the lights and one for the pump

I wanted everything automatic, so a timer was fitted and also a ball cock to fill the overflow room , both of which (eventually) worked fine .the only bugbear is the position of the big switch , it has to be under an overhang , so's as not to get any water dripping on it BUT that means, to switch on the lights, you have to go down the metal ladder built into the wall and that's not a good idea with your posh clothes on (people round for drinky poos etc)

So I asked if it would be possible to remote the switch (ie, leave the main switch permanantly on and use the remoted switch to actually turn the lights on ) to which I got "Needs electician,.....expensive"

The annoying thing is there is only one electric feed to the pump room which you can switch on and off from inside the villa on the circuit breaker board, BUT it then switches both the pump AND lights on at the same time and since fitting the timer is a no no

Now I'm no dummy when it comes to electrics so I am thinking of doing it myself (when I get a little better ) , by re wiring the wire from the switch to the transformer , up to a waterproof switch, located nearer the surface and making a cover and siliconing it over the new switch to prevent any drips on it and the cable, as it enters the new switch

I have re sealed around the hatch (properly), so water cascading in, shouldn't be a problem anymore, although we do get a little condensation on the PVC hatch cover when it's closed

here is what I'm on about ...and if anybody (eg Yalimart) knows of a decent type of switch or any bugbears, I'd be greatful of the info

I had the same happen Ted, cant really explain all that I done but one thing I did do was get rid of the p*ss poor wiring in the pumps house. No connectors just twisted wires covered with tape ect. If your working on the pump house its worth doing the lot, if for nothing else other than the safety aspect.
I also dug a hole at the bottom of the pump house & fitted a sump pump in it with a permanent feed.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER

Last edited by Spurs; 12th September 2015 at 14:52..
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
ted j (12th September 2015)
Old 12th September 2015, 14:50   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 8,243 Times in 3,094 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

These underground pump rooms are death traps - a local electrician was killed recently by stepping down into a flooded pit. Water streaming over fittings is common, it seems, to the point it is hardly mentioned.

I take it from what you said that the new switches were not put in by an electrician, otherwise he could have done what you wanted there and then.

My advice, as a non-electrician, is to site switches and controls above ground in a waterproof box, then you can isolate everything before you step into the trap. There is a good timer we use that you can program everything from your computer and it will look after itself - including power cuts and seasonal changes. But even the best equipment will have limited life in the adverse conditions you describe.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Spurs (12th September 2015)
Old 12th September 2015, 15:46   #4 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,802 Times in 4,714 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

The actual wiring is pretty good coming into the pump room, inside a heavy nylon tube and the actual wire used was OK , just knackered where it was screwed into the old switch box ...they cut back the wire and used all new for connecting up to the transformer for the lights

To be honest an 11 year old could have done the work , dead easy, get wire stripped back to good part (lots of spare so no problem there).....drill 4 holes for new switch box and screw to wall .....run original wiring into switch box, which has internal already connected feeds for both pump and lights switch ....cut fresh piece of heavy duty cable and connect to right terminals inside switch box ....drill new transformer to wall and connect new cable to transformer

To be honest I think Yunus, the main man just didn't want to go rooting around for a waterproof switch

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 15:56   #5 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 22,526 Times in 9,885 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

firstly I would recommend that the pool supply is rcd protected before it leaves your house, and preferably with its own rcd or rcbo so if there are issues it's the pool that trips only.
That's usually simple enough to do.
The pool room should have ip rated switches and connections, you can buy fully waterproofed light switches from Screwfix you would also need a stuffing gland and locknut for each cable.
I have a sump pump permenantly connected in my plunge pool chamber we remove the main pump at the end of each season

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days

Last edited by yalimart; 13th September 2015 at 10:10..
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
ted j (12th September 2015)
Old 12th September 2015, 16:27   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,485 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Part or possible solution could be to put the lighting circuit through something like here in the UK a 13amp plug and socket, but with also using a remote control adaptor on the light. I would imaging there is a equivalent type of unit in Turkey.
REMOTE CONTROL OUTDOOR SOCKET 1 GANG SINGLE 13A 13 AMP WEATHERPROOF WATERPROOF | eBay
or

1 2 3 SET REMOTE CONTROL 13AMP MAINS SOCKETS PLUG 13A 20M RANGE ENERGY SAVING | eBay

Obviously there are a great many different types of units, but the 2 above are just for a example.(Just as a matter of course, I use the second type from that supplier on most things in my house which yes, make me a lazy sod)That way you can operate the light with the remote control or if the remote can't be found then you can still climb down in the dark and press the button on the remote adaptor to turn it on.

The most important thing is that the On/Off switch needs to be lockable when not adjacent to the working environment to stop anyone turning it on if and when being worked on.

Edit:
One main problem I just thought of is that these types of socket adaptors need re-setting after a power cut of a couple of hours, because they do not have a internal battery backup, which would mean going into the room it was in in the dark.

Last edited by oldfogy; 12th September 2015 at 16:30..
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
davem (12th September 2015), ted j (12th September 2015)
Old 13th September 2015, 10:19   #7 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 22,526 Times in 9,885 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Part or possible solution could be to put the lighting circuit through something like here in the UK a 13amp plug and socket, but with also using a remote control adaptor on the light. I would imaging there is a equivalent type of unit in Turkey.
REMOTE CONTROL OUTDOOR SOCKET 1 GANG SINGLE 13A 13 AMP WEATHERPROOF WATERPROOF | eBay
or

1 2 3 SET REMOTE CONTROL 13AMP MAINS SOCKETS PLUG 13A 20M RANGE ENERGY SAVING | eBay

Obviously there are a great many different types of units, but the 2 above are just for a example.(Just as a matter of course, I use the second type from that supplier on most things in my house which yes, make me a lazy sod)That way you can operate the light with the remote control or if the remote can't be found then you can still climb down in the dark and press the button on the remote adaptor to turn it on.

The most important thing is that the On/Off switch needs to be lockable when not adjacent to the working environment to stop anyone turning it on if and when being worked on.

Edit:
One main problem I just thought of is that these types of socket adaptors need re-setting after a power cut of a couple of hours, because they do not have a internal battery backup, which would mean going into the room it was in in the dark.

I use these at home but they wouldnt last 5 minutes with the condensation in a pool chamber.

These are the pofessional type ones, you would need a 1 gang switch that could be located anywhere, its wireless, and a receiver that takes the place of the sump light switch it must be housed in an ip rated adaptable box with proper stuffing glands used where the cable enters. the ones we have fitted have good range but not sure how it would work underground

Radio Remote Controls - DANLERS, Controls for Lighting & HVAC

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (13th September 2015)
Old 13th September 2015, 10:53   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,485 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Yes 'Line of sight' and a plastic waterproof housing could be a problem by blocking or reducing the wireless signal.

But certainly worth a thought.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 11:23   #9 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed my pool BUT they can be a watery money box.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 11:33   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 9,377 Times in 3,505 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ! We haven't had pool lighting for 9 years, in spite of numerous requests & our maintenance paid every year! Our area in total darkness !!
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
lights , pool , switch