Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th October 2020, 09:47   #1 (permalink)

banda has a spectacular aura about banda has a spectacular aura about banda has a spectacular aura about
Thinking of trying again......

Hello,

I have always had a love for Turkey since I first visited in 1990. Subsequently I bought two properties, one in Alanya and one in Turgutreis. The Alanya apartment was okay but the Turgutreis duplex was a major headache from the outset as the complex was never completed, the manager was shot dead etc. and eventually I managed to make a sale to a Kurdish chap for about 40% of what I paid for it. I had previously sold the Alanya apartment as I needed the money at the time.
Anyway, Alanya was sold in 2009 and Turgutreis in 2013.
I have lived in France since 2003 having spent the previous ten years in the USA. Having now hit the age of sixty six and still being very active (doing full renovation of an old Breton farm at the moment) my thoughts are turning to another radical life change before proper old age creeps up and while still healthy. Also, my wife who is 55 hates the damp winters here and is always hankering to move back to the south of France or Spain or Portugal.
I was very pleasantly surprised the other day when I mentioned that I still had hankerings for Turkey and she said that she would be happy living there.

So I am now middle range planning but we know time flies. As a result I woiuld greatly appreciate current news of Turkey. The political regime has been a bit offputting when read from here in France and I am fully aware (more than aware from experience) that you have to be extremely careful buying property.

On a more practical level which coastal areas are considered desirable nowadays? I would be looking to get away with 100K max if possible but more for the right property as they say. I know there is good healthcare and hospital system out there but how does it work for foreigners in practice? I assume we can not get in the state system so private cover is a must? How much is that for a couple of say 69 and 58 ish? What does it cost nowadays to live with all the utilities, running a car or two, insurance etc? This is very subjective I know. Here in Brittany we have friends moaning that 2,500 euros a month is hard pressed while others manage on their measly UK state pension.

Of course I could no doubt think of hundreds of other questions but I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and opinions. I know that some of you have been there for years and it is the thoughts of those people that would be much appreciated as to how things have changed and how the future looks.

I'm now ready for anything from "its brilliant, get over here asap" to " its really bad, don't even think about it".

Thanks in advance.
banda is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to banda For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th October 2020), angelaturkey (6th October 2020), suecheshireuk (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 10:38   #2 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 10,752 Times in 5,145 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thinking of trying again......

We moved 6 years ago to Didim
Insurance is expensive but after a year you could get SGK which costs @£75 a month
Cars are not unduly expensive to actually run (on a par with the UK) but are expensive to buy
Utilities here are way cheaper than the UK was , gas is bottled and around £30-£40 a year , electric bills average £7 a week in summer £10-15 a week in winter
Council tax is £63 for the year , although there was a road charge this year of £25
The dumpster style bins get emptied daily
We have a private hospital here (went this morning)which accepts SGK so the charges are minimal (consultation and treatment £15)

There is a good expat community here which came to the fore when it was lockdown

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th October 2020), banda (6th October 2020), gcooke (7th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 10:39   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 8,116 Times in 3,523 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

Rent for a year first before committing yourself financially, that way you will have the time to learn how the property market is working. You will also get to learn who to trust and who to avoid.
You can join the state health system (SGK); you will pay a set monthly charge based on a medical exam and your history. This is only available after a year's residency I believe but others on the forum will advise. Health care is generally good and we have used state hospitals on a pay as you go basis.
Keep out of politics and religion. People have lost residency rights after upsetting influential locals, with devastating (and life-changing) results.
Staying for more than 90 days requires a residency permit which you can apply for when you arrive. The cost varies with nationality but is always priced in the US$ exchange rate for lira.
Be prepared for dirt, plastic rubbish, lack of recycling in some areas, poor water pressure in some places, and general bureaucracy, bit like aspects of French administration in some respects! Animals and pets are not treated with the same care as in European countries which can be upsetting.
The Aegean coast is lovely, the Antalya area has many Russians, but wherever you go the life will be what you make it.

Good luck!

Worrying is a waste of imagination.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th October 2020), banda (6th October 2020), Camden (6th October 2020), mollag (6th October 2020), suecheshireuk (6th October 2020), ted j (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 12:03   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,499 Times in 654 Posts
Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future

Definitely rent at first!
This will give you time to explore before making your final choice where you want to live.
It will also give you the opportunity to see the same areas with tourists and without.
It also gets you use to Turkish bureaucracy as well as learning some of the things that suddenly blind side you as a foreigner in Turkey.
Personally I would rent a car initially, cheap out of season and of course you don't have to worry about insurance etc.
The Turkish people are in the main wonderfully friendly and helpful. I have found they don't like to say they can't do something because they feel it might offend you or their pride prevents them from admitting it, consequently you don't always get the outcome you thought you were going to get!
We love Turkey and the "well this is Turkey" incidents add to the charm as long as you are prepared to compromise.
The Turkish word "Yaren" is the equivalent of "manana" ( I hope my spelling is correct) but not quite so urgent.
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bramidan For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th October 2020), banda (6th October 2020), Camden (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 12:19   #5 (permalink)
Days On The Beach in Side

Thanked 1,517 Times in 799 Posts
angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future angelaturkey has a brilliant future

I am originally English but, having lived in Washington DC for 10 years, I now have 2 passports ... USA and UK ... I then lived in South Africa for one year and travelled the world for one year. I have been to 135 countries and think that Turkey is the best of them all ... particularly Side (pronounced See-Deh). Side has the 2nd longest sandy beach in Turkey and the longest promenade in the Mediterranean. Allegedly Anthony and Cleopatra fell in love by the Apollo Temple overlooking the harbour.

I live on Mirage Residence which has an indoor and outdoor pool, a fitness centre, 24-hour security and an excellent gardener. I bought here 2 years ago for 65,000 UK Pounds including the furniture. It's a 2-bed 2-balcony apartment with 2 bathrooms. The sea is a 15-minute walk away.

As far as the cost of living goes, you can easily live on a UK PENSION. Kale Emlak are the best estate agencies. Ann and Cengis work there. Ann is English and Cengis is a Turk. See here ... https://www.kaleturkishproperties.co...den-residence/

x Angela in Side x
angelaturkey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelaturkey For This Useful Post:
Akasya (6th October 2020), banda (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 13:16   #6 (permalink)

banda has a spectacular aura about banda has a spectacular aura about banda has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the replies and helpful comments although I'm not sure that everybody actually read my posting. I know Turkey pretty well having visited numerous times, even lived there for several months, owned two properties and travelled fairly extensively in the south western corner. Therefore I know that Turkish people are very friendly and that the bureaucracy can be a pain. I'm not sure what its like now but back in the early 90's I spent hours if not days going from one Belediyese office to another department handing out liras and then the same at the electric and water boards. Happy memories.

Its the more practical tips on daily living and costs that I was after so thanks for that advice. I would probably plan to rent for a year anyway because although I would lean towards somewhere like Antalya the right house at the right price could come up anywhere. We've got friends on the Datca peninsula but thirty years ago that was really 'remote' though no doubt its changed a lot now. My last trip to Turkey was seven years ago now.

One thing......we would probably drive down from France in our own car. For how long can you drive in Turkey on foreign plates? Here in France its technically a month for residents but some seem to get away with years. Is it a simple task to swap plates?

I also know that pets are not as cherished as in western Europe but if we wanted to bring cats has anyone had any experience of that?

Any more thoughts always welcome and meanwhile I'll think about digging out my Turkish language tapes. At one stage I probably had about 500 or 600 words. The problem was always constructing the verbs and phrases.

I shall also take a look at Kale Emlak.

Last edited by banda; 6th October 2020 at 13:31.. Reason: Extended comment.
banda is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 13:33   #7 (permalink)

Incidentally 'Angela in Side'.......I know DC pretty well. I lived in Rehoboth Beach for about eight years before moving to Texas.
banda is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to banda For This Useful Post:
angelaturkey (7th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 14:30   #8 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,332 Times in 6,357 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

We have our own house and veggie garden. We spend on average about £450 per month, including SGK, the odd lunch out and beer (drunk at home). We generate our own electricity . This price does not include insurances, but does include petrol and diesel and the odd days wages for workers, and includes mains water bills.Last years total including insurances and road tax on two vehicles was £8200 (this did not include trips to the UK). I hope that this helps.
Akasya (6th October 2020), banda (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 15:22   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 24,517 Times in 12,524 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

IA is it possible to live there on a Moderators pension?
That’s all I have

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 6th October 2020 at 15:24..
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
banda (6th October 2020), IbrahimAbi (6th October 2020), suecheshireuk (6th October 2020)
Old 6th October 2020, 15:32   #10 (permalink)

stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough stelliebellie is a jewel in the rough

There is a really good Facebook group called "Moving to Fethiye Area Turkey, etc" which offers a lot of current information, as well as some excellent files containing spreadsheets of daily living expenses. Not specific to that area, as I live in Dalyan, and find most of the information very accurate.
stelliebellie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelliebellie For This Useful Post:
banda (6th October 2020), suecheshireuk (6th October 2020)

Tags
thinking