Classified Ads
  Egyptian Living Forum
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Save on your hotel - www.hotelscombined.com
Old 31st July 2016, 00:13   #21 (permalink)

Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,002 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking car into Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzlad View Post
UPDATE:

I plan to visit Fethiye customs next week to extend my car stamp in my passport to match my residence visa. It is currently in still on tourist visa which finishes on 10th August 2016 although my resident visa goes to March 2017.I was told by Fethiye customs to come in a few days before and they will extend it.

I am going to ask a few questions like:

If I drive out of Turkey with my English car (it has been in 8 months so far not exceeding the 730 day limit) does the clock stop or continue?

If I come back in early January (not being out of Turkey for more than 120 days in year so not cancelling my residence visa), is it OK to bring the car back without the threat of being turned away at the border as it is on their computer systems?

Does anyone have any other questions they might want answering while I am there?
yes please Sir. The current rule I am told is that I am not allowed to return to Turkey in my car within 125 days of last exit. Although I was the driver, the car papers were in my wife's name and the stamp went on her passport. My question is - can I return to Turkey using a different car ie my own car with car papers in my name ( My last exit will be only 60 days and I use 90/180 day visa).
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 19:27   #22 (permalink)

Thanked 1,872 Times in 906 Posts
REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future

If the car you intend to come back with will be in your name ,and it's a different one to before,then you are still bound by the rule of having to have been out of Turkey for the previous 185 days.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
WIDDRINGTON (31st July 2016)
Old 31st July 2016, 20:18   #23 (permalink)

WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDERS View Post
If the car you intend to come back with will be in your name ,and it's a different one to before,then you are still bound by the rule of having to have been out of Turkey for the previous 185 days.
Thanks for the info. That means then that the whole system has changed . Previously the car was attached to the passport of the person with the registration papers . Similarly this time when we left earlier this month. So your info seems to indicate now that the 185 day rule applies to anyone in the car - even the non owners and passengers? The changes seem illogical - nothing different there then?
Old 31st July 2016, 21:53   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDERS View Post
Redders - I have just seen guidance on the following site https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-turkey.

To quote -
Driving licences and vehicles

Bringing your car as a visitor

If you are travelling through Turkey, en route to another country or just visiting, you need to get a visa/permit for your vehicle on entry and you must ensure that you have all the documentation for your car e.g. registration papers, full insurance, a carnet de passage and your driving licence.

A change in the law came in to effect on 13 October 2015 so you can now keep your car in Turkey for 2 years. You will be heavily fined and even your car can be confiscated if you do not take your car out of Turkey at the end of 2 years. In order to bring your car to Turkey for a second round of two years, both you and your car have to stay out of Turkey for at least 185 days."

That seems open to interpretation - on two counts. Firstly it talks about " in order to bring YOUR car to Turkey for a SECOND ROUND of 2 years both YOU AND YOUR CAR have to stay out of Turkey for at least 185 days."

Re the situation I referred to in my initial post - my car has not been in Turkey since the new law came into force. The last time I had my car in Turkey was in Nov 2014. The car we travelled over in May 2016 ( for a period of 8 weeks) was my wife's car and the papers handed to the border officials were all in my wife's name ( insurance/ green card/ registration document).

Secondly - I dont know if "the 2 year stay" is relevant to my situation or not? We always go over on a 90/180 day visa and always leave within the 90 days.

I have emailed The Turkish Touring and Automobile Club for a definitive answer (Türkiye Turing ve Otomobil Kurumu ). If their guidance is any different to that in your post I will forward it to you. Thanks again .
Old 9th August 2016, 13:58   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDDRINGTON View Post
Redders - I have just seen guidance on the following site https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-turkey.

To quote -
Driving licences and vehicles

Bringing your car as a visitor

If you are travelling through Turkey, en route to another country or just visiting, you need to get a visa/permit for your vehicle on entry and you must ensure that you have all the documentation for your car e.g. registration papers, full insurance, a carnet de passage and your driving licence.

A change in the law came in to effect on 13 October 2015 so you can now keep your car in Turkey for 2 years. You will be heavily fined and even your car can be confiscated if you do not take your car out of Turkey at the end of 2 years. In order to bring your car to Turkey for a second round of two years, both you and your car have to stay out of Turkey for at least 185 days."

That seems open to interpretation - on two counts. Firstly it talks about " in order to bring YOUR car to Turkey for a SECOND ROUND of 2 years both YOU AND YOUR CAR have to stay out of Turkey for at least 185 days."

Re the situation I referred to in my initial post - my car has not been in Turkey since the new law came into force. The last time I had my car in Turkey was in Nov 2014. The car we travelled over in May 2016 ( for a period of 8 weeks) was my wife's car and the papers handed to the border officials were all in my wife's name ( insurance/ green card/ registration document).

Secondly - I dont know if "the 2 year stay" is relevant to my situation or not? We always go over on a 90/180 day visa and always leave within the 90 days.

I have emailed The Turkish Touring and Automobile Club for a definitive answer (Türkiye Turing ve Otomobil Kurumu ). If their guidance is any different to that in your post I will forward it to you. Thanks again .
Just an update re my original post. I have contacted the Turkish Embassy in London who in turn gave me the British Consulate's tel number in Istanbul who couldn't answer my query but who in turn transferred me to the Turkish Customs Dept - who couldn't speak English so I am wise as ever lol.

However I was directed to the following govt website and I think it is a useful reference point for those wishing to enter Turkey with a vehicle. Enjoy!

http://english.gtb.gov.tr/passanger/...anied-vehicles

Last edited by WIDDRINGTON; 9th August 2016 at 14:31.. Reason: omission
Old 9th August 2016, 14:07   #26 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,593 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing a link here to a government website?
Old 9th August 2016, 14:30   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Am I missing a link here to a government website?

Apologies Ibrahim -

Accompanied Vehicles
The Following User Says Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (9th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 14:51   #28 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,593 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't understand this. From what I read you can bring a car in if you have been in the Uk for 185 days. you can have the car in Turkey for 730 days. You cannot bring a car in if you have a residence permit. Who the, can stay with a car in Turkey for 730 days if they do NOT have a residence permit? I cannot see how anyone can take advantage of this 2 year allowance. But I may be a bit thick and miss the obvious.
Old 9th August 2016, 15:15   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
I still don't understand this. From what I read you can bring a car in if you have been in the Uk for 185 days. you can have the car in Turkey for 730 days. You cannot bring a car in if you have a residence permit. Who the, can stay with a car in Turkey for 730 days if they do NOT have a residence permit? I cannot see how anyone can take advantage of this 2 year allowance. But I may be a bit thick and miss the obvious.

Yes I noted that. Re my issue.Redders post was pretty emphatic so I wonder where he got his info and ruling from. The Turkish Touring Org has backed his view - maybe that is where he got it BUT the UK Govt and Turkish govt's info leaves room for different interpretations. For example it is stated that the entry/exit car has to be registered in the registered owners passport. My return in October will be in my car ie a different car with different registration details and no entry in my passport within the last 185 days.

The Turkish Embassy office has asked to email them with my query and they are going to try and get an answer from their Ministry of Trade and Customs. It feels sometimes that the Turkish authorities don't want the visitors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (9th August 2016), Leo (9th August 2016)
Old 9th August 2016, 18:36   #30 (permalink)

Thanked 1,872 Times in 906 Posts
REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future REDDERS has a brilliant future

From the link you posted , 'Accompanied Vehicles' it's implying that visitors,not residents can make a temporary import,which if you have to be out for the previous 185 days you would be classed as a visitor as your RP [if you held one] would be officially voided.
You enter on an evisa and apply for a ''first application'' RP when here.
This of course would count as a break in residency if you were working up to your 8 years for a LTRP.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (9th August 2016)

Tags
car , taking , turkey