Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:17   #71 (permalink)

Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,084 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking car into Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzlad View Post
Well finally drove the car out of Turkey on 3 October 2016 after being in Turkey from 13th February 2016. The car visa (stamp) in my passport says it can stay until 2nd March 2017.

I asked when I crossed at Ipsala, can I bring the car back at the end of the December 2016, which I hope to do and the customs guy said after looking at his computer

"the car must leave Turkey by 19th March 2017"

Strange date. No mention of the 185 days out of Turkey before I can bring it back. So I will drive back in December 2016 and see what happens. Seems like the people in the know who I mentioned in previous posts were right.

Before the stamp for the car expires in your passport you can bring your car in and out of Turkey no problem.

Of course this can all change next week

Took the following from another site and it poses questions re info I received both within Turkey and the UK following an earlier post on this thread re the 185 day rule. My My situation solely revolves around my usual entry/exit pattern to Turkey ie 2 x 44 day stays within the 90/180 day visa. My questions follow the quoted text below.

"http://english.gtb.gov.tr/passanger/accompanied-vehicles

The following from the GOV. UK page..... .....
''Bringing your car as a visitor,..
1. If you are travelling through Turkey, en route to another country or just visiting, you need to get a visa/permit for your vehicle on entry and you must ensure that you have all the documentation for your car e.g. registration papers, full insurance and your driving licence.
A change in the law came in to effect on 13 October 2015 so you can now keep your car in Turkey for 2 years on your foreign plates.[ You will be heavily fined and even your car can be confiscated if you do not take your car out of Turkey at the end of 2 years]. In order to bring your car to Turkey for a second round of two years, both you and your car have to stay out of Turkey for at least 185 days''.
2. A letter of request is prepared in Turkish requesting 2 year stay for car and signed and dated at Customs.
3. Only the named owners on the V5 can drive the car...Turkish Citizens CANNOT DRIVE this car.

Questions

a. I was originally told that the 185 day rule mentioned in 1(above) applied to my situation entering on a 90/180 tourist visa -where I had no wish or intention to keep the car in Turkey for 2 years . My last entry date was early May 2016 and my last exit date was late June 2016- and all info received ( NOT FROM CUSTOMS) was that the 185 day rule would apply to me ie I couldn't return until early January 2017. However the 185 days mentioned above seems to be aligned to a situation where the car will remain in Turkey for 2 years!?. Yes/No?

I was also told( NOT BY CUSTOMS) that as I was a passenger in my wife's car then I too could not return to Turkey for 185 days - even if I was to return in my own car ie a car with no stamp or record of having entered Turkey before.

I have found it impossible to speak to anyone at Customs via telephone and although sceptical about the interpretations received to date I didn't take the chance of taking my usual trip to Turkey in October just gone - just in case I was turned back.

So - is it FACT that the 185 day rule applies to return trips within the one 90/180 day visa or is it specifically aligned to an intended 2 year stay? Or what lol? Would be interested in people's experiences on this issue.

Last edited by WIDDRINGTON; 23rd November 2016 at 18:02..
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:51   #72 (permalink)

jimm will become famous soon enough

Hopefully someone can answer this one for me.
I haven't been in Turkey since August.
My plan is to drive my car to Turkey in May 2017 and leave it at my house there when I return home 2 weeks later.
I will return for a holiday in August 2017 and also in July 2018. I will then drive the car out of Turkey in July 2018 .
Is this possible as it will have to be done using 2 separate holiday visas.
I'm not expecting a definitive answer but a best guess will do.
Thanks all.
jimm is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:20   #73 (permalink)

Bramidan will become famous soon enough

I am not sure how helpful this will be to you but you asked for other people's experiences.
We left Turkey on the 2nd June 2016 having been in Turkey for 3 months. Despite the 2 year rule having been introduced the border guard in March 2016 had asked when we intended to leave, I thought it was a polite enquiry and said around first week in June and passport stamped 4th June 2016! I did not pursue it we were in!
The car we were using at that time was my wife's.
We returned to Turkey around the 28th September 2016 but in a different car now in my name. I had looked carefully at the 185 day rule and discovered that one looks back 1 year from the date of entry, thus in my case 28th September 2015 and I had been out 185 days. Naturally I photocopied the information formation regarding the guidance on 185 days and had all my dates on entry and departure noted!
This time when they asked when I intended to leave I said sometime in April, to deliberately be over 6 months. My passport has now been stamped for the car till September 2018.
I am assuming that the 185 day rule won't apply to me until 2018 but who knows!
As an aside we both have 5 year residency permits and decided to ignore the previous 120 day rule, on the basis that if there was a problem we would buy a 90 day visa at the border. We come to Turkey for 6 months at a time and never had a problem. Low and behold the 120 days has disappeared albeit for residency permits after August 2016 (I believe) but the popular thought seems to be that the whole thing has gone by the board.
It seems such a gamble when you turn up at the border, sometimes it seems they don't want my tourist money!
It was my own ignorance but if I had known all the pitfalls when I first purchased my villa, despite the fact I love Turkey, I would never have purchased a property in Turkey.
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 20:55   #74 (permalink)

Abzlad will become famous soon enough

This will be one of my final posts on this matter and I have cleared some things up. I will do a quick recap.

I entered Turkey in my UK car that had never been here before and I had not been to Turkey for 18 months previously around 13th February 2016 on a tourist visa. They stamped my car until Mid August 2016. Around March I applied for a one year residence visa and they extended my car visa stay until 2nd March 2017, same as my residence visa and sigorta (Turkish insurance).

I left Turkey with my car around 4th October 2016. That's around 8 months. I returned with the same car on 5th January 2017. I was NOT turned away at the border but my passport was stamped with a date for the car to leave 5 days later, 10th January 2017. This is the reason why:

The 5 days is automatically given as its for Transit purposes, as if you were driving across Turkey to another country. The previous 185 day rule still counts unless you are RETIRED, with documents that prove that. I am not retired.

I went to the the customs and they explained what will happen. If my car stays beyond 10th January the first months fine will be around 94TL, when I drive out if I do so within one month of 10th January 2017. Then the fine is double for a second month. Even upto the 10th April you will be fined 560TL. AFTER 10th April, that is three months from the date that the car should have left, everything changes. You will be fined a maximum of around 560TL. That is all good if you NEVER want to return to Turkey and have no properties here as you will get a court summons to pay a hefty fine running into 1000's of lira. In my case 7000TL approximately for allowing the car to stay three months plus more than when it should have left. This figure is based on a percentage of what Turkey values the car at which we all know is greater than the UK value. So beware.

My options are:

Take the car out of Turkey before 10th April and pay the 560TL fine when I leave.

Hopefully take the car to Dalaman customs around 8th April, pay 15TL per day then collect the car a day before I leave and get my belongings and drive out of Turkey and pay the 560TL fine plus Dalaman customs storage costs.

Keep the car beyond 10th April, drive out whenever and pay the 560TL fine and never return to Turkey.

What I have also learnt is if you come to Turkey without a car, you can stay for however long your visa allows, three months, one year etc... You can go back to the UK and come back the following week with a car no problem. The 185 day rule does not apply. It's only if you were previously here with a car.

If you are retired or a student the 185 day out of Turkey previously, car rule does not matter, if you had already been to Turkey with that car, and when you return the time you spent out of Turkey will be added on to either what ever remaining days you have left on your visa up to an accumulated time of 730 days. Whatever finishes first.

If I had left Turkey back in October 2016 without my car then returned on 5th January 2017 as I did then I would have had no problem. The leave date for the car would have stayed as 2nd March 2017 and I then could have extended that further until my new residence permit expired in 2018.

I am 41 so cannot be classed as retired. If you want to return to Turkey in a car that's previously been here and you have not been outside of Turkey with the car for more than 185 days then you will get the 5 days transit extension. If you intend to stay more than three months with the car then beware of the loomimg court case. If three months or less then you will still pay the fine upto 560TL.

Good luck all
Abzlad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abzlad For This Useful Post:
Akasya (10th January 2017), Leo (11th January 2017)
Old 11th January 2017, 01:35   #75 (permalink)

WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzlad View Post
This will be one of my final posts on this matter and I have cleared some things up. I will do a quick recap.

I entered Turkey in my UK car that had never been here before and I had not been to Turkey for 18 months previously around 13th February 2016 on a tourist visa. They stamped my car until Mid August 2016. Around March I applied for a one year residence visa and they extended my car visa stay until 2nd March 2017, same as my residence visa and sigorta (Turkish insurance).

I left Turkey with my car around 4th October 2016. That's around 8 months. I returned with the same car on 5th January 2017. I was NOT turned away at the border but my passport was stamped with a date for the car to leave 5 days later, 10th January 2017. This is the reason why:

The 5 days is automatically given as its for Transit purposes, as if you were driving across Turkey to another country. The previous 185 day rule still counts unless you are RETIRED, with documents that prove that. I am not retired.

I went to the the customs and they explained what will happen. If my car stays beyond 10th January the first months fine will be around 94TL, when I drive out if I do so within one month of 10th January 2017. Then the fine is double for a second month. Even upto the 10th April you will be fined 560TL. AFTER 10th April, that is three months from the date that the car should have left, everything changes. You will be fined a maximum of around 560TL. That is all good if you NEVER want to return to Turkey and have no properties here as you will get a court summons to pay a hefty fine running into 1000's of lira. In my case 7000TL approximately for allowing the car to stay three months plus more than when it should have left. This figure is based on a percentage of what Turkey values the car at which we all know is greater than the UK value. So beware.

My options are:

Take the car out of Turkey before 10th April and pay the 560TL fine when I leave.

Hopefully take the car to Dalaman customs around 8th April, pay 15TL per day then collect the car a day before I leave and get my belongings and drive out of Turkey and pay the 560TL fine plus Dalaman customs storage costs.

Keep the car beyond 10th April, drive out whenever and pay the 560TL fine and never return to Turkey.

What I have also learnt is if you come to Turkey without a car, you can stay for however long your visa allows, three months, one year etc... You can go back to the UK and come back the following week with a car no problem. The 185 day rule does not apply. It's only if you were previously here with a car.

If you are retired or a student the 185 day out of Turkey previously, car rule does not matter, if you had already been to Turkey with that car, and when you return the time you spent out of Turkey will be added on to either what ever remaining days you have left on your visa up to an accumulated time of 730 days. Whatever finishes first.

If I had left Turkey back in October 2016 without my car then returned on 5th January 2017 as I did then I would have had no problem. The leave date for the car would have stayed as 2nd March 2017 and I then could have extended that further until my new residence permit expired in 2018.

I am 41 so cannot be classed as retired. If you want to return to Turkey in a car that's previously been here and you have not been outside of Turkey with the car for more than 185 days then you will get the 5 days transit extension. If you intend to stay more than three months with the car then beware of the loomimg court case. If three months or less then you will still pay the fine upto 560TL.

Good luck all
Thanks Abzlad for this helpful post. Just a few questions which are relevant to my situation..
1. I am retired and in receipt of UK state pension.

2. My wife is retired , 59 years old and not in receipt of UK state pension.

3. We hope to go to Turkey in Feb17 by car. That car is registered to my wife but the car insurance policy is in my name.

4. The green card we get from our UK insurer for Turkry matches the fully comprehensive cover we have in the UK. This green card specifically covers car travel in Turkey for 10 weeks.

5.The green card specifically names both my wife and I as being covered by this green card.

6. The car we will be taking last exited Turkey on 29th June 2016 . So it will have been out of Turkey for well over 185 days.

Questions
1. Does the fact that this car has been in Turkey 5 times previously affect entry under the new rules.

2. Does the 185 day rule apply to the car or the registered owner or both? I was driving
when we last entered and exited Turkey in 2016 but the car entry was registered in my wife's passport presumably because the car registration document is in her name (although she was the passenger on this occasion). My passport had no car entry stamped - would this have allowed me to enter Turkey within 185 days - in a different car? I have had differing opinions on this - some saying yes and some saying no. We decided to play safe and wait for the 185 days to comfortably pass before going to Turkey again .
Why oh why does the Turkish govt bring in rules like this I ask myself. I don't have an answer - does anyone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WIDDRINGTON For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th January 2017), Leo (11th January 2017)
Old 11th January 2017, 12:11   #76 (permalink)

Hi,

My understanding is there is no limit as how many times you can bring your car into Turkey, definitely if it's out 185 days then back again.

Yes, you yourself could have entered Turkey in a different car. The 185 day rule does not apply to you as you were never here in a car in your name and not stamped into passport. The 185 day rule is for the car and person together but as you are retired, you are good. Your wife maybe different as she needs to prove she is receiving a pension from somewhere to prove retirement. This would mean the 185 day rule applies for her if she cannot prove that she is retired. This is ridiculous as some people might own several properties and receive rent revenue from them as income instead of a pension.

I found this information at Fethiye customs with a Turkish/English speaker. Fethiye customs suggested we try Dalaman customs as they are more experienced in these laws so we went there and they confirmed everything.

They also said there might be more changes a foot in the next month or so but didn't say what that would be.

Good luck and have a safe journey. Beware of the weather, we got stuck two days in Gelibouli in the snow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abzlad For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th January 2017), WIDDRINGTON (11th January 2017)
Old 11th January 2017, 12:26   #77 (permalink)

Thanked 1,394 Times in 513 Posts
eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of eliza has much to be proud of

Don't think I will bother to bring the car!!
eliza is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eliza For This Useful Post:
Spurs (11th January 2017)
Old 11th January 2017, 12:40   #78 (permalink)

If you are retired then your are better off than a non retired person. You have more options.

You can bring your car here from the UK for a cumulative 730days taking your car in and out as many times as you like regardless of the 185 day rule. They will add the time spent out of Turkey back onto the car visa until 730 days is up.

If you are not retired you can still bring your car here for 730 days also but you cannot export the car and come back again. If you take the car out of Turkey within the date stamp in your passport then you should not come back within 185 days or you will only get 5 days transit visa like me.

Your partner can come back with another car though, within the 185 day period. That makes no difference apparently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abzlad For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th January 2017)
Old 11th January 2017, 13:53   #79 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Abzlad;1093163.

Your partner can come back with another car though, within the 185 day period. That makes no difference apparently.[/QUOTE

Thanks again Abzlad. Just to clarify one more issue. The car is registered to my wife. When we last entered and exited the iUK insurance policy was in her name with myself named as an additional driver on the policy. The green card specifically named both of us as being covered to drive. HOWEVER this time, the same car is still registered to my wife but the insurance policy is in my name AND my wife now named as an additional driver on the policy( purely for pragmatic financial reasons). So to summarize;
1. The car last exited on 29/616.
2. My wife is the registered owner but since our last exit the car is now insured on my policy with her being named as an additional driver on the policy.
3. The important thing to note in all of this I think is that the green card certificate names both myself and my wife. As it is only the green card that customs and police seem to be interested in then I think we should be OK but it is a concern given the non expertise and variable understanding amongst border customs officials.
Old 11th January 2017, 20:19   #80 (permalink)

You should be fine. They don't care about the insurance.

When I pulled up at the border at Ipsala, the camera read my car registration and they knew immediately the car was in my name. I didn't even say anything and she said, Mr Smith. That's not my real name by the way

All they care about is the individual and the car they used TOGETHER. Insurance etc... Does not matter at all as far as I am aware.

Good luck

Tags
car , taking , turkey