Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th January 2019, 19:35   #61 (permalink)

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,905 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving to Turkey 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomsurfer_uk View Post
Hi and thank you for your reply. As we are travelling from The Hook of Holland we will not have to touch any roads in France or Switzerland, going via Germany and into Italy to Venice Ferry Port. Hoping then to get the ferry to Igoumenista.
I know there will be snow for much of this journey but we are planning on making it a holiday so no rush as such. My main concern as to the ferry was from previous reviews about conjested gangways and stairwells with people camping outside the cabin doors. Hopefully this time of year that might not be the case but wondered what the ferry was like?
On the ferries we have used, Ive never seen anyone sleeping outside cabin doors. In the lounge areas yes, on deck in the summer yes.

Perhaps those sleeping outside cabin doors are the ferries new draft excluders.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 20:56   #62 (permalink)

Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice

We have used Minoan Lines and Superfast. I think they are now part of the same group.
In any event nothing to set one apart from the other.
We always enjoy the crossing as it provides a break from driving. If it wasn't a night crossing it would be boring because all there is to do is eat and sleep but I can cope with that!
The cabins we have used have always been comfortable with small ensuite shower and WC rooms.
As I said we treat it as a break from driving and as you have to sleep somewhere that night it might as well be on a ferry as in a hotel.
We have always slept soundly and not been unduly worried by engine noise, as I once was on a cross channel ferry.
We have eaten in the restaurant with waiter service as well as the self service restaurant quite happy with both.
We will be using the ferry in early March on our journey to Turkey.
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bramidan For This Useful Post:
35pluschips (6th January 2019), Akasya (7th January 2019)
Old 6th January 2019, 21:41   #63 (permalink)

35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramidan View Post
We have used Minoan Lines and Superfast. I think they are now part of the same group.
In any event nothing to set one apart from the other.
We always enjoy the crossing as it provides a break from driving. If it wasn't a night crossing it would be boring because all there is to do is eat and sleep but I can cope with that!
The cabins we have used have always been comfortable with small ensuite shower and WC rooms.
As I said we treat it as a break from driving and as you have to sleep somewhere that night it might as well be on a ferry as in a hotel.
We have always slept soundly and not been unduly worried by engine noise, as I once was on a cross channel ferry.
We have eaten in the restaurant with waiter service as well as the self service restaurant quite happy with both.
We will be using the ferry in early March on our journey to Turkey.
Agreed, its a good break & the cabins do their job. I always take a rope & gag with me to keep the wife off the slot machines, lock her in the cabin & play them myself.
My sea legs demand I take quells even whilst looking at water, never mind getting on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 35pluschips For This Useful Post:
Bramidan (6th January 2019), Randomsurfer_uk (8th January 2019)
Old 7th January 2019, 00:39   #64 (permalink)

Like I've said, watch the weather.........

BBC Europe weather forecast: Blizzard warning - Extreme weather unleashes snow over Europe | Weather | News - eWeatherNews - Weather News - Weather Forecast and Road Conditions
The Following User Says Thank You to 35pluschips For This Useful Post:
Randomsurfer_uk (8th January 2019)
Old 8th January 2019, 08:44   #65 (permalink)

Randomsurfer_uk is on a distinguished road

Hi
Thank you for your reply. Did you get the Minon ferry from Venice? Did you pre book the ferry or did you just turn up?
Also where did you pay if you did not pre book?
A lot of people have said that finding the actual departure area for lane 16 was hard to find,
Did you find it difficult to get to the ferry terminal and find the correct departure area?
Sorry for all the questions but did not want to turn up at departure only to be told that you have to pay elsewhere!
Old 10th January 2019, 18:52   #66 (permalink)

Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice Bramidan is just really nice

No, I got the ferry from Ancona.
I never pre book, I don't want a white knuckle drive trying to get to the port in case there are delays.
We stay the previous night in San Marino and book the ferry for the next day/night on the Internet. Pay by credit card and you get a reference number, effectively an e ticket. You do need to go to the booking office at the port, just show your phone with the reference number, passports and they do the rest. The first time we went, we just turned up at the booking office at the port, again no problem. You do need to be there, for boarding, 2 hours before hand. Once boarding starts they do not hang about, it's always interesting if I am called upon to reverse because I am useless and the trailer kicks out. Usually a Greek ferryman walk along side bellowing right or left, sometimes they look a bit fed up wth me but I work on the basis that I will never see them again and it provides them with a story to tell their colleagues and family.
I can only speak about Ancona but once you are there it is pretty straightforward driving to where you actually board. Well signposted. I think Chips previously mentioned actually getting to the port at Ancona is interesting, although there is a "new route" off the main road coming in which is signposted, you just have to ask your co driver to stay alert!
I've never had a problem and that is towing a folding camper as well. I just work on the basis that I am a foreigner, other drivers give you plenty of room, they know what to expect!
Best advice I can give is don't put yourself under pressure, take your time and enjoy the experience. If you waste a day it's not really the end of the world and nobody died!
Enjoy.

Last edited by Bramidan; 10th January 2019 at 18:57..
The Following User Says Thank You to Bramidan For This Useful Post:
j in bo (14th January 2019)
Old 10th January 2019, 19:52   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomsurfer_uk View Post
Hi
Thank you for your reply. Did you get the Minon ferry from Venice? Did you pre book the ferry or did you just turn up?
Also where did you pay if you did not pre book?
A lot of people have said that finding the actual departure area for lane 16 was hard to find,
Did you find it difficult to get to the ferry terminal and find the correct departure area?
Sorry for all the questions but did not want to turn up at departure only to be told that you have to pay elsewhere!
Ancona for me, never known the ferries to be full, they will always squeeze cars & people on. Never had trouble getting a cabin either.

YouTube tells/shows you a lot, wagon drivers with dashcams talk you through it for most ferry ports in Italy, even footage actually on the ferries etc. Well worth a look.
Judging by the weather reports coming from Europe, I cant stress enough just how important it is to keep track. The conditions they get far outstrip anything I've ever seen in the UK & it seems they're experiencing that right now.
Old 10th January 2019, 22:54   #68 (permalink)

With reference to the weather, on our journeys I have seen signs that at certain times of the year "snow tyres" are compulsory and I have heard, anecdotal stories, that the police can stop you driving if you haven't got them.
This is crossing the Alps via the Mont Blanc tunnel.
On a snow report I saw this evening temperatures were as low as -14 C!
Old 12th January 2019, 13:16   #69 (permalink)

Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,332 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

P & O are starting new ferries from Turkey to Italy that will link up with rail timetables.

https://www.freightweek.org/index.ph...ey-italy-links
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (12th January 2019)
Old 12th January 2019, 14:13   #70 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 7,707 Times in 3,638 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramidan View Post
With reference to the weather, on our journeys I have seen signs that at certain times of the year "snow tyres" are compulsory and I have heard, anecdotal stories, that the police can stop you driving if you haven't got them.
This is crossing the Alps via the Mont Blanc tunnel.
On a snow report I saw this evening temperatures were as low as -14 C!
Snow tyres are also required in Turkey at this time of year, but the provincial governor can choose not to apply the regulation. I would not like to be submitting an insurance claim if I did not have snow tyres on in winter in Turkey.

Tags
2018 , driving , turkey