FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Travel Forum > Turkey Travel Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:21   #1 (permalink)

Ieuanjones is on a distinguished road
Post How long can you keep a UK car in Turkey - 2018

Good afternoon.

New to this Forum. Itís brilliant!!

Looking for some advice. There are confusing messages out there about how long a UK registered vehicle can be in Turkey for.

Some say 6 months in and 6 months out

Others say 12 months

Following recent visit to Kas, there was a suggestion that this had been extended to 2 years

Anyone on this Forum know the real answer from the Turkish Government?

Thanks in asvance
Ieuanjones is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:42   #2 (permalink)

glenn will become famous soon enough glenn will become famous soon enough
Re: How long can you keep a UK car in Turkey - 2018

2 years is the most recent legislation
glenn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:10   #3 (permalink)

Bramidan is a splendid one to behold Bramidan is a splendid one to behold Bramidan is a splendid one to behold Bramidan is a splendid one to behold Bramidan is a splendid one to behold Bramidan is a splendid one to behold

Put "accompanied vehicles" and Turkey, into Google and you should get to the Turkish Customs website, straight from the horses mouth rather than second hand opinion.
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 23,032 Times in 12,133 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieuanjones View Post
Good afternoon.

New to this Forum. Itís brilliant!!
Welcome to the Forum Ieuanjones but when joining it is customary to tell us a little about yourself. Eg a pic of yourself sitting naked with a bowl of custard on your head is always appreciated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaycey For This Useful Post:
evo80 (22nd January 2018), Hilsjw (23rd January 2018)
Old 22nd January 2018, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
Leo

Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of

Hi there, I have just done this. It's 2 years.

Situation is slightly complex to do in practice - but I managed it, so that should give you some confidence....

I was told by others that they mark your passport with a picture of a car and give you the date by which you must leave - they didn't when I did it, but assured me the info was in the computer.

The 2 years is of course the maximum - but the wording of the law says that it's upto 2 years, but only as long as your residency. So first thing is you must bring the car having not had more than 180 days in Turkey in the previous 365.

They will then, assuming you have not got residency before you get here - give you a max of 90 days. When you get your residency you then have to go to your local customs office (gumruk) to get them to extend it.

To get the extension you have to take:-

1. Car reg doc from home country
2. Proof of ownership (which car reg isn't) - so bill of sale
3. Your passport
4. Your residency card
5. Turkish insurance for the car.

There is no cost for this, but my experience was that the customs officers didn't speak much English, were a bit officious and several in the office seemed to have a difference of opinion/interpretation - so best to take a Turkish speaker with you.

Where I had a problem was getting Turkish insurance. To explain - there are very few insurance policies from outside Turkey which are accepted (saga do one, but I found that expensive so bought at the border) - most I could buy on entry was the 90 days, so to extend I visited numerous insurance agencies - all of which said they couldn't do it and I had to go back to the border I came in at to extend - bugger that I thought and kept trying.... Eventually I learnt that there are only 2 policies available if you are a foreigner driving a foreign registered car - both of which are Gov't policies and are sold by them under a special licence at the borders. So off I trotted to my local border and bought - but it was considerably higher cost than a standard Turkish one (but is comprehensive). Job done and bank balance hammered!

Last edited by Leo; 22nd January 2018 at 23:51..
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
Akasya (23rd January 2018), Jaycey (23rd January 2018)
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:05   #6 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,178 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Leo , this will be of interest to many .

Steve
Akasya is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Leo (23rd January 2018)
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:56   #7 (permalink)

Chasey is a splendid one to behold Chasey is a splendid one to behold Chasey is a splendid one to behold Chasey is a splendid one to behold Chasey is a splendid one to behold Chasey is a splendid one to behold

Hi Leo

Was it worth it?

We will be moving out in 20 20 and were wondering if its worth it to take our car out or just buy one out there. Thing is the second hand ones out there are so damed expensive We wanted a 4X4 as where we are Nr Manavgat theres a OT of unmade roads we seem to drive on. I can get a low mileage SH Hyundai Santafee in the UK for 20K but it will be 30K+ for the same car in Turkey

We will have a base in the UK so I was thinking every two years to drive home swap cars to my other UK car and drive back.

The insurance thing seems mad???

The road tax made me sit up an take notice as well.

Thanks in advance

Chasey
Chasey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:04   #8 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 23,032 Times in 12,133 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute

Used cars are expensive in Turkey but they seem to hold their resale value well

PS there are plenty of good used rugged terrain vehicles here going for pennies – a T-34 could be just what you’re looking for.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-pol...cles-sale.html

Last edited by Jaycey; 3rd April 2018 at 12:27.. Reason: addition
Jaycey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:59   #9 (permalink)
Leo

Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
Hi Leo

Was it worth it?

We will be moving out in 20 20 and were wondering if its worth it to take our car out or just buy one out there. Thing is the second hand ones out there are so damed expensive We wanted a 4X4 as where we are Nr Manavgat theres a OT of unmade roads we seem to drive on. I can get a low mileage SH Hyundai Santafee in the UK for 20K but it will be 30K+ for the same car in Turkey

We will have a base in the UK so I was thinking every two years to drive home swap cars to my other UK car and drive back.

Thanks in advance

Chasey
Hi Chasey, well we have the advantage of two vehicles - one we bought here in Turkey and one we drove over from the UK. You are right to question as there is a balance - bought in Turkey is more expensive, but running a UK vehicle in Turkey is more expensive.

I would say it is worth it, but the hassle factor is having to take it out of Turkey every 2 years and not being able to return with it for 6 months...

Now here's a possible workaround which a mate tells me he has done and it worked for him, although I have to say I wonder.... He said he drove his vehicle in had the 2 years and drove out etc. However, some 6 months before he drove it out he changed the ownership of the vehicle on-line to his wife and added a private reg using the DVLA on-line facility. When he took the vehicle out (to Greece) he downloaded the new paperwork, fixed the new reg plates and his wife drove it back in - and he gets another 2 years... Could work I suppose
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:02   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 4,038 Times in 2,578 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
Hi Leo

Was it worth it?

Thanks in advance

Chasey
Sold mine in the UK & bought new in Turkey. Never studied the costs because I intended to live there permanently (done 9 years). The attitude of "when in Rome" comes to mind. Those days it was 6 months but Leos post is a good un & informative.
We flew out, bought a new car within a week & then drove back to the UK & had the load up of personal stuff..............& Cadburys chocolate etc.
Not sure if there's a spec difference between Turkish/UK cars because of the heat in Turkey ie paintwork/interior.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
2018 , car , long , turkey