Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:45   #11 (permalink)
Leo

Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold
Re: Turkish living

What a fantastic thread. I truly hope this becomes one of the longest running on TLF....

We have owned a place here and been coming regularly for more years that I care to recall, but we finally sold up in the UK, came to live here full-time and permanently nearly a year ago.

Like others, we did our research and knew what we were taking on - and I can honestly say its been even better than we could have hoped for.

Yes, the politics can be a little disconcerting - but no more than Farage driven May & the 'selservatives' in the UK...

Great day yesterday - it was nearly 40C in the shade and over 50C in the direct sun... I and a small group of mates have been learning Turkish for several months now - not taking it too seriously, but we are trying - albeit with sojourns for both giggles and the obligatory coffee and cakes!

Problem with trying to practice in Kalkan or Kas is that almost everyone speaks quite good English... So when I ask for something (in Turkish) in a shop for example - I get answered in English!

So yesterday our teacher arranged for us to get out of the heat a little with a trip to Gombe - up in the mountains - where let me tell you nobody spoke a word of English.... OMG we were like 'fish out of water' as teach had banned us from all forms of mime, pointing or animal noises - and we had a version of a swear box - which meant we had to pay a lira (to charity) every time we got stuck...

What a hoot... We laughed and laughed, partly from embarrassment and partly just from the fun of being together with my mates for good times. I of course returned rather more 'fakir' than when I left, but at least I now know how to ask for a sodding teaspoon.....
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
enoch (23rd July 2018), IbrahimAbi (23rd July 2018), janm (24th July 2018), Kingfisher (1st August 2018), shash (24th July 2018), spanabridge (24th July 2018), suecheshireuk (26th July 2018)
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:01   #12 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 6,723 Times in 3,126 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yildez Datca View Post
Yep, I'm living in Datca, full time for the last 10 years, but on and off for the last 30 years. I did intensive research during the 3 years before I retired so I was well prepared for life here. It took the UK tax office quite a while to sort out my tax - I don't pay any!! And the methods I chose to manage my finances have proved to be sound - my pensions are paid into my UK bank, I draw in Sterling from a local ATM then change it at the best rate. The Residence Permit system is working well, in Mugla district at any rate. I have SGK, which while expensive has proved, in my case, that it's worth it's weight in gold.

Am I happy? Yep, certainly am! Although I don't enjoy Datca so much during the intense heat and humidity of mid June to mid September, I stay home and keep cool in the garden! My life is exactly as I anticipated - no regrets, and I'm here until I pop my clogs!!
I bought my first Turkish carpet in Datça, in 1984, cost me £90, a Döşemealtı, we still have it at the top of the stairs. I'll bet you cannot camp on the beach now!
enoch (23rd July 2018), shash (24th July 2018), Yildez Datca (23rd July 2018)
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:47   #13 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,385 Times in 4,485 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Boiling hot today , we had to get a service guy out to check the aircons , 3 were fine but the one in the top floor bedroom wasn't switching off properly, it took 7 or 8 minutes to stop , so he took out a component (think it was the sensor) and will send it off to Izmir for either repair or replace
Main beach is that crowded with umbrellas you can't see the sand in some parts and all the out of towners are gridlocking the roads ..set off this morning and when I came to the second major road I have to cross to get into town, i pulled up alongside a Doblo who was obviously going right across, same as me . Then this wally coming from my right tries to turn and ends up completeley facing me instead of going the other side of the Doblo
Then coming back home we came up the boulevard intending to go straight across a roundabout but the idiots coming from the right had gone over the lights and were gridlocking the whole roundabout

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
Leo (23rd July 2018), shash (24th July 2018)
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:03   #14 (permalink)

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,106 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
I bought my first Turkish carpet in Datça, in 1984, cost me £90, a Döşemealtı, we still have it at the top of the stairs. I'll bet you cannot camp on the beach now!
Nope you certainly can't!
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yildez Datca For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (23rd July 2018)
Old 24th July 2018, 06:44   #15 (permalink)
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

croftj is a name known to all croftj is a name known to all croftj is a name known to all croftj is a name known to all croftj is a name known to all croftj is a name known to all

Bought our place in Altinkum in 2005 with the dream of one day taking early retirement and living there …......and glad to say our dream is now a reality.

Spent the last few years planning how to make it a happen and decided to do a 3 month trial first, between October - December last year, to see how we liked the quiet months and found it was as good as we expected.

Came back in April, now have our first one year residency permit and it's definitely so far so good as we enjoying a stress free, laid back lifestyle
croftj is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to croftj For This Useful Post:
Akasya (24th July 2018), enoch (24th July 2018), IbrahimAbi (24th July 2018), Leo (24th July 2018), shash (24th July 2018), spanabridge (24th July 2018), suecheshireuk (26th July 2018), ted j (24th July 2018), yalimart (24th July 2018)
Old 24th July 2018, 11:13   #16 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,806 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here in 2004 having done absolutely no homework at all. But, we have been very lucky and were only ripped off one, by a Brit. We started off in an apartment on the edge of town but now live in a small(?) village which is getting bigger every day. Of course with all the extra houses the electricity and water supplies are finding it very difficult to cope and we are often without both (plus internet which won't run without the electricity). However all in all life is good, fresh fruit and veg is in abundant and cheap supply. However we do find that the 34 and 35 drivers are a nuisance in the summer months!!!
Akasya (24th July 2018), enoch (24th July 2018), janm (24th July 2018), shash (24th July 2018), suecheshireuk (26th July 2018)
Old 24th July 2018, 12:06   #17 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,136 Times in 8,690 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

After 30 years of holidaying in which time we owned a couple of houses for 11 years I think I finally realised I preferred the holidays rather than the owning, so this thread got me to thinking about which holidays in Turkey stood out.
The first in 1988 is of course memorable, we travelled with Sunmed from Manchester late season, all we could afford in those days, we stayed at a pension called Artunc about a 100 m back from the hustle and bustle, the owners Erkan & Goncha are still our friends today and still running the Artunc although it now has a swimming pool and air conditioning and has been massively upgraded. We also made friends with a couple of others on that visit who we speak to on a regular basis. The Lokantas served great varieties of food and beers at 4 for a quid, I cant remember the price of the boat trips although we did many but do recall them being excellent value for money.
You could go to the duty free on the harbour and buy a litre and 200 bensons for about £7 the lone customs policeman would just wave you in, if he wasn't asleep, great times.
I actually ran up the hill from the main road to where the antennas are above the ampitheatre on that trip, never again.
We went back a couple or 3 times a year after that until the mid to late 90s when wherever you went you got hassle, come in my restaurant, come on my boat trip etc it took a couple of years for the council to clamp down on that, but they did and quite hard.

We tried Beldibi and loved the trips around that area but never went back, something just didn't do it for us.

I would say our favourite trip was a holiday on a Gulet out of Bodrum up the Gulf of Gokova, the first trip we did was fabulous calling into and staying in little deserted bays, you took your watch off and forgot which day it was let alone time, the 2nd time we did it we went over to Datca first which was a bit on the rough side made worse by going under sail for a while, on this trip we went into bays with restaurants and bars probably because we had paid for all inclusive. I would without doubt do that again, has anyone done a Gulet trip recently ? interesting to know how they fare on price and quality these days.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
Akasya (24th July 2018), enoch (24th July 2018), IbrahimAbi (24th July 2018), margaret (3rd August 2018), shash (24th July 2018), suecheshireuk (26th July 2018)
Old 24th July 2018, 13:54   #18 (permalink)

scotty1968 is on a distinguished road

Sounds a great lifestyle, my wife and i are moving to Kusadasi and are so looking forward to it,we have been coming here for 6 years now,and like you done our homework on living here full time, Scott. & Evie
scotty1968 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty1968 For This Useful Post:
shash (24th July 2018)
Old 24th July 2018, 15:37   #19 (permalink)
Leo

Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold Leo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1968 View Post
Sounds a great lifestyle, my wife and i are moving to Kusadasi and are so looking forward to it,we have been coming here for 6 years now,and like you done our homework on living here full time, Scott. & Evie
Welcome and all the very best to you Scott & Evie - fantastic life
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 16:24   #20 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

We moved to Turkey in 2003 having done no homework whatsoever. We had had a house built for us by a friend in Kalkan in the days when there were very few properties on the hillsides. We had many holidays in Turkey previously and had fallen in love with the place. During the winter that the house was being built we decided to sell up in the UK and move out to Kalkan and see what happened. It was wonderful. Very unspoilt. In 2004 we built ourselves a summer house in Gombe, near Elmali in the mountains. From the garden, which was in fact an apple orchard, we had views of the waterfall tumbling down Akdağ, the 3000 mt mountain.

By 2005 the excitement of retirement had worn off so I started work again at our friend’s hotel as a guest co-ordinator. This meant we used the Gombe house less as it was only suitable for summer use as we had a metre and a half of snow up there in the winter and with no fuel oil being available only diesel the same as in the car we certainly couldn’t afford to run the central heating for long!

In 2008 we decided to sell the Gombe house and build nearer Kalkan but on the yayla where it wasn’t so hot and busy in the summer. Our love affair with Kalkan was coming to an end for various reasons but as I was still working we needed to be fairly near so we built a house in Saribelen and created a fruit orchard around it. In 2009 the Kalkan house was sold and in 2011 we decided to spend the winter in Antalya. We rented an apartment near Lara beach in Örnekköy and were able to spend the winter either shopping or visiting places that were further from our previous houses.

By the spring of 2012 we had bought an apartment in Fethiye, at the top of Deliktaş, and for the next couple of years we moved between there and Saribelen. By this time things in Turkey were changing...a lot. The final straw was when the pastahane at the bottom of the road was fire-bombed and we had Tomas and tear-gas in the streets. The love affair came to an end. We decided to sell and move on. So in spring 2015 a lovely Turkish family from Istanbul bought our apartment and we made the decision that North Cyprus would be our next home, partly because of the language and partly because our private health İnsurance with a Turkish company would still cover us here. Turkey is beautiful country there is absolutely no denying and we enjoyed nearly every minute of our time there. Now we enjoy our time here. Things change and in turn life changes. Just all part of the rich pattern.
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LauraB For This Useful Post:
Akasya (24th July 2018), enoch (24th July 2018), IbrahimAbi (25th July 2018), Kingfisher (1st August 2018), Leo (24th July 2018), margaret (3rd August 2018), shash (25th July 2018), spanabridge (24th July 2018), stelliebellie (25th July 2018), suecheshireuk (26th July 2018), yalimart (24th July 2018)

Tags
living , turkish