Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 17th July 2020, 16:55   #1 (permalink)

muji is on a distinguished road
Leaving car in Turkey

Hi,

I'm planning on driving to Turkey this September and have a fairly good idea about route, paperwork ....etc

My question is around how we can own a car from the UK and be able to drive in Turkey even when I'm away (will be flying back and forth)

My questions are:

1) I need to travel (by air) from Istanbul to London and back, my understanding is that the car will need to stay somewhere with customs, where is this place? is it in the airport? how do I get to it?

2) Can I have the car in my wifes name (but she won't be in the car when I enter, she will already be in Turkey) so that she still has the car when I'm away? If so how will it be stamped on her passport? can it maybe be transferred to her while in Turkey for example?

3) I have conflicting information on how long the car can remain in Turkey, is it 6 months every year? can I just go and get a different car every 6 months? This way I won't have to buy a car in Turkey and pay 5 X what the car is worth in the UK.

Many thanks in advance for the help
muji is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 17th July 2020, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 13,861 Times in 6,585 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving car in Turkey

I cannot answer all your questions. I really do advise simply buying a car in Turkey. Yes they cost a lot more, but they hold their value much much better than in Europe. there are problems re-insuring non -Turkish cars.
You could have the car in your wife's name and she could meet you somewhere ( like Thessoloniki) , and enter Turkey with you and the car.
I have done both, importing car and motorcycle, and buying cars here. I would not bring a vehicle into Turkey again unless it was a classic that I could not find here. too much hassle all round.
Old 17th July 2020, 21:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,057 Posts
REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute REDDERS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Hi,

I'm planning on driving to Turkey this September and have a fairly good idea about route, paperwork ....etc

My question is around how we can own a car from the UK and be able to drive in Turkey even when I'm away (will be flying back and forth)

My questions are:

1) I need to travel (by air) from Istanbul to London and back, my understanding is that the car will need to stay somewhere with customs, where is this place? is it in the airport? how do I get to it?

2) Can I have the car in my wifes name (but she won't be in the car when I enter, she will already be in Turkey) so that she still has the car when I'm away? If so how will it be stamped on her passport? can it maybe be transferred to her while in Turkey for example?

3) I have conflicting information on how long the car can remain in Turkey, is it 6 months every year? can I just go and get a different car every 6 months? This way I won't have to buy a car in Turkey and pay 5 X what the car is worth in the UK.

Many thanks in advance for the help
1] If you wish to exit without the car,you must contact the Gumruk in advance at the airport of departure & inform them.It is now possible to leave the car at your home address in Turkey.

2] If you enter with a car not in your name,you must have POA prior to entering to use the car so as to be able to enter Turkey.As for her driving it,you'll need to make enquiries to the Gumruk as she will be classed as a resident if already here,so not sure how that will pan out.Normally it's only the person importing the car who can drive it whilst in Turkey.

3] The car can stay for as long as the time on a tourist entry 90 days max. If you hold an RP it can be up to 2yrs,then unless you register the car with Turk Touring & pay the bond etc to change to Turkish'M' plates it must leave.
Both the car and/or person entering must then be out for a minimum of 185 days before being able to re enter with the same car or another vehicle.

Marriage is a workshop..where husband works and wife shops..

Last edited by REDDERS; 17th July 2020 at 21:02..
REDDERS is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REDDERS For This Useful Post:
howardian (18th July 2020), IbrahimAbi (18th July 2020)
Old 18th July 2020, 12:21   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDERS View Post
1] If you wish to exit without the car,you must contact the Gumruk in advance at the airport of departure & inform them.It is now possible to leave the car at your home address in Turkey.

2] If you enter with a car not in your name,you must have POA prior to entering to use the car so as to be able to enter Turkey.As for her driving it,you'll need to make enquiries to the Gumruk as she will be classed as a resident if already here,so not sure how that will pan out.Normally it's only the person importing the car who can drive it whilst in Turkey.

3] The car can stay for as long as the time on a tourist entry 90 days max. If you hold an RP it can be up to 2yrs,then unless you register the car with Turk Touring & pay the bond etc to change to Turkish'M' plates it must leave.
Both the car and/or person entering must then be out for a minimum of 185 days before being able to re enter with the same car or another vehicle.
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your answers, really helpful.
I guess this leads me to the next set of questions so please bear with me :-)

1) I'm assuming RP is Residence permit, is this correct?
2) Is it an easy process to get an RP for a British national? what documents and evidence are required for this? Would you know if it's an issue if I was a dual resident in Turkey and the UK?
3) Would you have an idea of import duties if I was to keep the car in Turkey this way? I know it's a little complicated and expensive but when I look at the car prices in Turkey I just can't justify paying 10k for a car I can buy for 2-3k in the UK!

Thanks
muji is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

RP is residence permit, relatively easy to get. Do you own property here? If yes, you will need the Tapu in your name. If not then a rental contract. There is a separate thread for residence permit.
Also consider that road tax here depends on engine size and age of car. It can be very expensive for larger engines.
We all have the same thoughts on car prices but the vast majority have bitten the bullet and bought locally.
I have imported UK (bike) into Turkey and foreign plate (rangerover) into UK. I would not do so again. Lots of hassle, and money tied up in bonds.
Residency Permit
REDDERS (18th July 2020)
Old 18th July 2020, 15:49   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 3,742 Times in 2,182 Posts
enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your answers, really helpful.
I guess this leads me to the next set of questions so please bear with me :-)

1) I'm assuming RP is Residence permit, is this correct?
2) Is it an easy process to get an RP for a British national? what documents and evidence are required for this? Would you know if it's an issue if I was a dual resident in Turkey and the UK?
3) Would you have an idea of import duties if I was to keep the car in Turkey this way? I know it's a little complicated and expensive but when I look at the car prices in Turkey I just can't justify paying 10k for a car I can buy for 2-3k in the UK!

Thanks
Just seen second hand cars are selling for more than new. In cumhuriyet news today.
enoch is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 15:53   #7 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch View Post
Just seen second hand cars are selling for more than new. In cumhuriyet news today.
Why would that be?
Old 18th July 2020, 16:10   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 3,742 Times in 2,182 Posts
enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
Why would that be?
Your guess is as good as mine availability

https://cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/ikin...amiyor-1752375
enoch is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 20:15   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi View Post
RP is residence permit, relatively easy to get. Do you own property here? If yes, you will need the Tapu in your name. If not then a rental contract. There is a separate thread for residence permit.
Also consider that road tax here depends on engine size and age of car. It can be very expensive for larger engines.
We all have the same thoughts on car prices but the vast majority have bitten the bullet and bought locally.
I have imported UK (bike) into Turkey and foreign plate (rangerover) into UK. I would not do so again. Lots of hassle, and money tied up in bonds.
Thanks a lot, really good information which I couldn't get from locals living in Turkey.

I guess my best bet is to take a car from here, get the residency and keep it for two years then I will return the car to the UK and buy one in Turkey, buys me a bit of time especially as I'm not sure if I'll be staying for more than two years.

Last edited by muji; 19th July 2020 at 05:07.. Reason: Incorrect termination of quote
muji is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
car , leaving , turkey