Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:46   #1 (permalink)

mariaca will become famous soon enough
Tavuk kavurma

Does anyone have a good recipe?
mariaca is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:35   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tavuk kavurma

there are so many different ways to cook this..but basically you need very small pieces of chicken and then add garlic onions peppers anything you like...you can have it dry fried or with a sauce
ive made it just frying with butter, stir and stir until its all cooked in and serve it with bread and salad...simple and tasty.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:08   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Shirley. You don`t know where to find a recipe do you?

My cooking skills are not that great, especially not when it comes to the Turkish kitchen - but my fiancee desperately wants this for dinner.
mariaca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:30   #4 (permalink)

Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all

My Recipe (for 2 people) - We call this chicken saute

half kilo chicken (cut into small pieces)
1 Medium Onion
2 Green Peppers
3 Medium tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mixed herbs (but I tend to only use Oregano)
1 small tsp curry powder (my adaptation)
1-2 tsp tomato paste
Olive Oil for cooking

Chop onion, green peppers and saute in olive oil on medium heat until soft. Add chopped or crushed garlic with chopped tomatoes. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Start to add the chicken pieces and turn over until they cooked on all sides.

Start to add the herbs and spices at this stage - paprika, cumin, herbs and curry powder. Once you have stirred altogether add the tomato paste stirring this in and then add water (1 to 1 half cay glass) and simmer for about 15 - 20 mins on very low heat. If it looks like its drying out just add more water until you are happy with the consistency

If you like spicey food you can add some chilli. If you are using hot green peppers there is no need.

I cooked this last night and it was delicious. Eat with either home made chips and salad or rice if you prefer.

TIP: I store my tomato paste in ice cube trays in the freezer. When you need to use just take one out or just use half a cube. I got sick of wasting packets/tins of paste where they eventually go off.

I hope its a success for you.
Bubskar is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:36   #5 (permalink)
R.I.P

shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

hi ..kavurma is either fried or in the oven..roasted...does he say whether her wants it with veg or sauce..or does he give you any ideas..theres a lot of ways to make it..however most are fried..and here is a well known basic one
use a non stick teflon pan

ingredients
500 grms chicken breast cut into little pieces
an onion
a long red pepper
5 small bell peppers
2 cloves of garlic
2 soup spoons of olive oil
2 large tomatoes
salt black pepper and thyme

method
clean and peel the onions and garlic..and dice them finely
remove the seeds from the peppers and dice them
peel deseed the tomatoes and dice them

put the chicken pieces in the non stick teflon heated pan and dry fry until the water from the chicken has evaporated.(dont add the oil yet)
add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic next and cook together for a few minutes..
now add the oil and then add the rest of the ingredients stir them all in and then lower the heat a little and put a lid on the pan stirring from time to time. İt should take about 15 to 20 mınutes...just keep an eye on it and see that the its all cooked through.
serve it hot with bread or maybe some rice.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:55   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 1,044 Times in 257 Posts
petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of petermcintosh has much to be proud of

Hi Shirlyanntr
I,m a very plain fare guy, when it comes to food, but reading this has wet my appetite, sounds very tasty, made me very hungry, I,m away to make a couple of rolls of cheese n ham, n a mug of tea.

Cheers Peter
petermcintosh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:59   #7 (permalink)

Thank you so much Bubskar and Shirleyann. Looks great. I will give it a try this week

Bubskar, that was a great tip regarding the tomato paste!! Excellent.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:39   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

peter im with you..you cant beat a good sarnie...my favourite too with a nice hot cup of tea.
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:04   #9 (permalink)

Thank you SO much for your recipes. The dish was easy and tasted excellent!
My fiancee loved it, it was almost as good as his mother`s

But now he want`s sarma dolma... a bit more complicated I guess..
He is going advanced

Last edited by mariaca; 2nd August 2008 at 13:41..
Old 2nd August 2008, 13:15   #10 (permalink)

Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all Bubskar is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaca
Thank you SO much for your recipes. The dish was easy and tasted excellent!
My fiancee loved it, it was almost as good as good as his mother`s

But now he want`s sarma dolma... a bit more complicated I guess..
He is going advanced
Hi mariaca - glad the chicken dish went down well - a bit worried about "as good as his mother's" your words or his?

Sarma dolma. Now you are going intermediaries!

There are various recipes which can involve meat or not. The tricky bit (if you are a novice) is the stuffing and rolling of the vine leaves which can also be laborious and getting the quantities right. Turkish families usually make a pot full of them at one go because they can be eaten the next day as part of a selection of meze. Also at this time of year you will have to buy a pack of vine leaves from the shops as the best time for using fresh vine leaves is in springtime. I will try to dig out a recipe for you. In the meantime can I recommend a good Turkish Cuisine website that I sometimes look at for ideas. It is called Binnur's Turkish Cooking. This lady is Turkish but lives in Canada.

Happy cooking - I think you're spoiling him
Bubskar is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
kavurma , tavuk