FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > Turkish Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2009, 08:45   #1 (permalink)

dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold
Question Vegetarian Cheese in Turkey

Does anyone know if any Turkish cheese is truly vegetarian? We've noticed that all the ones which list ingredients contain "peynir mayası", which we believe to be animal rennet.

Thanks,

Dave.
dngood is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 16th July 2009, 08:58   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,870 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vegetarian Cheese in Turkey

How can you have vegetarian cheese?

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold Firebrand is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
How can you have vegetarian cheese?

Ian
It is cheese that isn't made with rennet.

Try looking at the ingredients of the soft cheese in the supermarkets?
Firebrand is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:07   #4 (permalink)

dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold dngood is a splendid one to behold

Ian,

Have a look here to read about animal rennet and cheese:
Rennet Rennet

Vegetarians are happy to eat dairy products (i.e. milk), it's just eating the cow they draw the line at!
Vegans are the ones who don't eat any dairy products.

Most cheese in the UK now uses a vegetarian rennet substitute, and is labelled as vegetarian. This doesn't appear to be the case in Turkey.

Firebrand> thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of that, I'll take a look at the soft cheeses over here.

Dave
dngood is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dngood For This Useful Post:
immac (16th July 2009)
Old 16th July 2009, 09:26   #5 (permalink)

pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold

PEYNIR MAYASI IS A CHEESE STARTER,
REGARDING A VEGETARIAN CHEESE.....WHY DO WE CONSIDER DAIRY AND CHEESE VEGETARIAN??????
HERE ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHEESE STARTER THAT THEY USE IN TURKEY

1. Mikrobiyel Kaynaklı: Bunlar tıpkı yoğurt ya da ayran gibi fermentasyon yolu ile elde edilen peynir mayalarıdır.
USED IN THE MAKING OF YOGHURT AND AYRAN

2. Genetik Maya: Son zamanlarda gelişen gen transferi metodu ile üretilen mayalardır. Peynir mayasının özü olan kimozin geninin konakçı bir mikroorganizmaya transferi ve bu mikroorganizmanın uygun sıcaklık ve ortamda üretilerek enzim salgılaması metoduna dayanır.
MICROORGANISMS USED IN THE PRODUCTION OF AN ENZIMATIC CHEESE STARTER

3. Hayvansal Kaynaklı mayalar: Bu peynir mayaları, geviş getiren hayvanların 4. midesindeki sütü pıhtılaştıran enzimin saflaştırarak kullanılması sonucunda elde edilen bir mayadır. Bu yöntemde çoğunlukla dana, buzağı veya kuzu şirdenleri kullanılmaktadır.
ANIMAL CHEESE STARTERS, THESE INCLUDE ENZIMATIC CHEESE STARTER USED FROM THE 4TH STOMACH OF THE ANIMAL, MILK THAT HAS THICKENED IN THE LINING WALL (SO I GUESS THIS ISNT A VEGETARIAN OPTION) IN THE FOLLOWING ANIMALS COWS, SHEEP AND GOATS

I DIDNT KNOW ANY OF THIS...........
THE STUFF IN RED IS WHAT I TRANSLATED....

THIS IS WHERE THE ARTICLE IS LOCATED
Peynir mayas? nas?l elde ediliyor? ?çerisindeki katk? maddeleri nelerdir?
Old 16th July 2009, 09:48   #6 (permalink)
Deemon in disguise

Thanked 2,367 Times in 960 Posts
babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute babsgood has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know non of the cheese here is vegetarian which is a big problem for me, I tend to eat cheese only if its come over from England so I can read the label, I also rarely eat eggs so my diet is virtually vegan now, although not by choice! I must admit that occasionally I will eat Turkish cheese even though I know its not veggie, which is something I would never have done in England but sometimes the urge overtakes!

dngood please post here if you find any cheese which is veggie, soft, hard, white, yellow it doesn't matter!!!!
Old 17th July 2009, 12:12   #7 (permalink)

pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold

i DONT UNDERSTAND HOW CHEESE CAN BE VEGAN/VEGETARIAN WHEN THE MAIN INGREDIENT COMES FOM COWS, SHEEP OR GOATS......

QUITE FRANKLY, I NEVER RESEARCHED IT THOUGH, MY SISTER IS VEGETARIAN, AND SHE EATS CHEESE LIKE ITS GOING OUT OF STYLE. WE LIKE OUR CHEESE.

WE HAD A LITTLE CHEESE AND WINE PARTY THIS EVENING. I DIDNT HAVE ANY WINE BUT HAD A TON OF CHEESE.

STILTON, BRIE, HAVARTI, BLUE WITH APRICOTS IN IT.
I ATE PLAIN SODA UNSALTED CRACKERS WITH IT, BUT THERE WERE A MYRIAD OF CRACKERS AND TONS OF FRUIT.........MY SISTER SURE KNOWS HOW TO PUT ON A SPREAD..........
AND I WAS DRINKING ICED TEA.....THIS IS FUNNY...CAUSE IT TASTED LIKE MILK. BUT THERE WAS NO MILK IN IT...........BUT IT HAD THAT SAME SOOTHING QUALITY...........I GUESS MADE THE STRONG CHEESE GO DOWN EASIER.......LOL LOL LOL

WELL SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT THE VEGAN CHEESE PLEASE. I GUESS I SHOULD KNOW......
Old 17th July 2009, 12:39   #8 (permalink)

Hi Pebble,

I think you're confusing vegetarians and vegans. Generally the following is true;
+ Vegetarians don't eat meat, but eat dairy products (e.g. milk and yoghurt).
+ Vegans don't eat meat and additionally don't eat dairy products (e.g. milk, yoghurt).

Vegetarian cheese is cheese which contains an animal rennet substitute to help it harden.

Vegan cheese is cheese which contains no dairy products at all. See the link here for more information;
Cheese_analogue Cheese_analogue
dngood is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dngood For This Useful Post:
lesley northall (17th July 2009), pebble (17th July 2009)
Old 17th July 2009, 12:49   #9 (permalink)
GnD

GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold

Also interested in an answer to a vegetarian option in Turkey. We always have to take ours out for this very reason and it's sure heavy. It takes up allowance for another pair of shoes.

Debbie
Old 17th July 2009, 13:03   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Dave, im glad i have that cleared up. I was really confused, and quite frankly...Im easlily confused.

so the upshot is per the link that dave gave us:

Cheese analogue is a dairy cheese substitute most frequently from soy but also rice, almond, nutritional yeast as well as other non-dairy ingredients. It is available in many of the same varieties as its dairy counterpart. This product is usually consumed due to certain dietary preferences, like veganism, religious restrictions (most cheese analogues are kosher pareve, after approval of a Rabbi), lactose intolerance or milk allergy.

Different brands of cheese analogues may or may not be entirely free of dairy ingredients, since many of them contain casein[1]. The following most widely known vegan cheese brands contain no casein: Cheezly[2], FYH Vegan Gourmet Cheese[3], Sheese[4], Teese[5], and Tofutti. Soy-free vegan cheeses include: Chreese and Veganrella[6](all are certified vegan and therefore 100% casein free).

Cheese analogues are available in these types:

* American[7][8]
* Blue Style[9]
* Cheddar[10][11][12][13]
* Cheshire [14]
* Cream cheese [15][16]
* Edam [17]

* Gouda [18]
* Monterey Jack[19][20]
* Mozzarella [21] [22][23]
* Nut Cheeses[24]
* Parmesan[25][26][27]