Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd November 2005, 16:51   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,775 Times in 2,882 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Mushrooms

I have been up into the mountains above Fethiye today. Locals are scurrying around picking a mushroom with a pale yellow colouration and a greenish tinge under the hood. The bigger ones are 15cm across; they grow under the pine trees.
It is, it seems, a delicacy and after buying 2 kilos I was given alternative ways to cook them.
The first kilo have been fried in garlic and butter and tomorrow the next lot will get a tomato and garlic sauce.
There is a nice texture to them and they have the consistency of very tender meat.
It seems the best crop, and the tastiest, pops up just after the first autumn rain - hence the activity today.
They are being sold at the side of the road. 6YTL for 2 kilos.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 23rd November 2005, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

merlin will become famous soon enough
Re: Mushrooms

These are called çıntar mantar. You do have to be careful though. Not all are edible.

Merv!
merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 17:04   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
These are called çıntar mantar. You do have to be careful though. Not all are edible.

Merv!
Merv

Well, that is helpful!
Now that I have cooked and eaten a kilo, which ones should I not have eaten?
It has been two hours and no symptoms yet.
The so-called experts who were with me must have forgotten to tell me that they were (to use that modern term) to die for!

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 17:06   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

canim has a spectacular aura about canim has a spectacular aura about canim has a spectacular aura about

They sound very similar to 'Ceps'

There are a lot of polish people where i live & they can always be found searching the forest for ceps!
canim is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Canim. No, although similar, these have a paler colour, are flatter and have a ribbed pattern radiating from the centre on the underside.
Still no symptoms after 3 hours!

ian
Old 23rd November 2005, 18:09   #6 (permalink)

Symptoms will accure after 5 to 8 hours but are not deathly, the locals know what there doing Ian i would'nt worry just enjoy.
Andy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 18:20   #7 (permalink)

pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold

We drove to Izmir from Bodrum via Yatagan, an I noticed a lot of people selling mushrooms on the side of the road. My husband wasnt in the moo to stop and get any, but I wanted some. We are going back on friday, and if there are any road side vendors, I will stop and get some. they looked good, were huge...... hope i get a good batch.
pebble is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 19:37   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 7,744 Times in 3,225 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

I remember as a youngster being taken with a Polish family friend and picking carrier bags full of mushrooms he told me at the time what to pick and what not to, but from memory it was more a case of take the fresh ones and leave the old ones. They were boiled for a couple of hours and then fried with onions and bacon pieces,delicious. I suspect the excessive boiling may have removed the toxins and rendered them safe, and they did change the water a couple of times.
I tried to get back into this a few years back but could never remember what to pick and also being more cautious these days. I did have a book on them which helped. It is best to get someone who has collected before to help you although you can take a `spore picture`which helps to identify the species.
Depending on the type of mushroom it can sometimes be weeks before the damage is done to your body by which time it is to late to take any corrective action as by then serious damage has been done, although most will just give you an upset stomache for afew days. Also with some varieties you should not take alcohol for several hours after eating as the toxins react with alcohol to give a serious delirious state of mind for a couple of days, One that springs to mind is the shaggy ink cap beautiful if cooked in butter bat stay off the alcohol.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 04:58   #9 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of

Hi,

Check this site out it gives you all the info you require on Toxic and Edible Mushrooms in Turkey along with pictures.

http://www.ogm.gov.tr/sites1/mantare.htm

Would hate to loose a member of the forum from eating the wrong mushroom.

Best wishes

Susan

Last edited by Susan; 24th November 2005 at 05:01.. Reason: spelling mistake
Susan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 06:21   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Susan, if only I had read your site yesterday!
I have been up most of the night with stomach pain - not severe but enough to stop me sleeping. Luckily I have a good reading selection in the loo.

Anyway, overnight research reassures me that I am not going to have long term problems - no thanks to the old crone who sold me these things and my 'expert' friends:

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/...hmentid=&stc=1

I am now an expert on mushroom toxicology and will be throwing the rest away. It seems it was lucky I didn't have alcohol with the meal as that enhances the toxic effect.

I am still not totally sure what I ate, but the doctors do the diagnosis by the symtoms.

Ian

Last edited by immac; 1st September 2010 at 13:41..

Tags
mushrooms