FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > Turkish Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2011, 16:10   #1 (permalink)
Earth Laughs in Flowers..

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice
Question Börek Recipes or Good Turkish baking website help please!

Hi

My Mother In Law is coming to stay on Sunday and arriving late, thought I would make Börek but the only one I know to make is spinach and cheese. As I can't get any spinach just now I thought I would make a mince Börek but I am struggling to find a good recipe.

Does anyone have a recipe the wouldn't mind sharing or can recommend a website don't mind if it's in Turkish.

I am out to impress as it's the first time my MIL will be staying in our home.

Hope someone can help me out thanks.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being me......

Earth Laughs in Flowers my blog www.earthlaughsinflowers.info
raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 15th July 2011, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,130 Times in 10,001 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Börek Recipes or Good Turkish baking website help please!

I find binnur's recipes very good, not just for Borek, you could also use the Beyaz Peynir with onion for a tasty fillilng too. Good Luck and have fun with your relatives.

Binnur's Turkish Cookbook: Borek

Last edited by Sunny Seasider; 15th July 2011 at 17:01..
Sunny Seasider is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
millilove76

Thanked 3,422 Times in 874 Posts
millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute

I love cheese and parsley...its especially tasty when just made but nice warmed up too!
Also the one with a little mince meat and pul biber (fry the mince add a little salca) spread on the pastry sheets and sprinkle the pil biber on.
millilove76 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millilove76 For This Useful Post:
raven (17th July 2011)
Old 15th July 2011, 17:23   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Raven have a look at this great site..its in Turkish but the vids explain it..there's a lot of different böreği if you look around the site...i'm fascinated by the su böreği..takes a lot of work to make them

Çi? börek nas?l yap?l?r? - UZMANTV
ceyn (16th July 2011), pipermam (17th July 2011), raven (17th July 2011), Sunny Seasider (15th July 2011)
Old 16th July 2011, 20:59   #5 (permalink)

nomad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I would make Börek but the only one I know to make is spinach and cheese.
Women here are not making these cheese, potato and spinach böreks themselves anymore. They are preparing ingradients, mixing them, etc and they are taking to local fırın/oven in their mahalle and fırın cook it something like gözleme. This has become acceptable when it is about spinach and cheese. You can say you cooked it yourself if you can make them believe however. But, if you plan to make other böreks, such as su böreği, sigara böreği, helical like börek, etc, you'll have to make it yourself however. If you can make good su böreği, you can pass test of your kaynana.
nomad is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nomad For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (17th July 2011)
Old 16th July 2011, 21:37   #6 (permalink)

bethx has a spectacular aura about bethx has a spectacular aura about

We mad potatoe borek today.. filling was easy.. very finely chopped onion, potatoes boiled,peeled then mashed together with the onion. Add salt, pepper, hot red pepper and sweet red pepper. But I have no idea how to make the pastry and am rubbish at rolling it out... so i just did the filling while the mil and sil did the pastry. Can you buy the party ready? or would the ready (is it yufka?) work for them? I use the yufka for the sigara borek and just fill with lor peynir with maybe parsley or another green? Just roll and fry.
bethx is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bethx For This Useful Post:
raven (17th July 2011), Sunny Seasider (17th July 2011)
Old 16th July 2011, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know any Turkish ladies who bother making their own Yufka - if you are in Turkey it's easy to buy and I get it in Hull shrink wrapped but it tends to be dry like Filo and harder to work.

Borek on a tray was one of the first things I learned as a newly-wed and it never failed so if I can do it anyone can. Here's a couple of good links.

Turkish Borek

Ozlem's Turkish Table: Search results for borek

If you go for the meat version some people like just a tiny pinch of cinnamon in and also a sprinkling of pine nuts. It's important to make sure the onions are cooked until very soft as well as you don't want any crunchiness.

I usually lay one large sheet of yufka on an oven tray leaving a large overlap. Then I moisten the base with the prepared eggy mix and rip up sheets of yufka and lay pieces in a sort of ripply jigsaw with no gaps. Then the meat mix is spread over. Then another ripply layer goes on, then a soonful of eggy mix smoothed over - repeating a couple more layers till the tray is 'full' then the overlap is folded in and a little extra olive oil aded to the remaining mixture then brushed on the top. It can be left in the fridge for an hour to absorb the moisture if you like. Bang it in a hot oven and bake till golden brown. It will rise up balloon like but it deflates as it cools then can be cut into pieces to serve. We serve with yogurt.

It's a well-loved dish and often made for travelling with. But it can be a bit heavy in hot weather.
ceyn (16th July 2011), Gixer (18th July 2011), raven (17th July 2011), Sunny Seasider (17th July 2011)
Old 17th July 2011, 05:04   #8 (permalink)
Earth Laughs in Flowers..

raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice raven is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies, I certainly have no intention on making my own Yufka, I would be at it all day. Maybe I should have been clear it was a filling I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies and ideas, she arrives later tonight so just hope she enjoys my efforts. Now I only have to worry about my pilaf, which I am hopeless at making I might use couscous instead of rice just in case.

Thanks again everyone.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal then I get bored and go back to being me......

Earth Laughs in Flowers my blog www.earthlaughsinflowers.info
raven is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven For This Useful Post:
Sunny Seasider (17th July 2011)
Old 17th July 2011, 07:19   #9 (permalink)

funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold funlife is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Women here are not making these cheese, potato and spinach böreks themselves anymore. They are preparing ingradients, mixing them, etc and they are taking to local fırın/oven in their mahalle and fırın cook it something like gözleme. This has become acceptable when it is about spinach and cheese. You can say you cooked it yourself if you can make them believe however. But, if you plan to make other böreks, such as su böreği, sigara böreği, helical like börek, etc, you'll have to make it yourself however. If you can make good su böreği, you can pass test of your kaynana.
Nur makes and cooks all her own Boreks there are many varietys can you understand turkish if so pm me and i will get her to send you the recipies it will be in turkish as her written english is not that good
funlife is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funlife For This Useful Post:
raven (17th July 2011)
Old 18th July 2011, 10:40   #10 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

The secret to authentic Turkish rice is frying the washed rice in oil - too much oil in my opinion!! So my husband gets a healthier less delicious version unless his sister is making it. Bulgur is more to my liking and less oily in the making. I'm afraid couscous does nothing for me. Not chewy enough
raven (18th July 2011)

Tags
baking , börek , good , recipes , turkish , website