FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > The Kitchen > Turkish Cooking

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2006, 17:36   #1 (permalink)

KateK is on a distinguished road
Turkish Cooking in Bodrum

Hi
Does anybody know of any Turkish cookery classes in Bodrum? My husband is fed up of sandwiches!
KateK is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 29th October 2006, 09:48   #2 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Cooking in Bodrum

I don't know of any cookery classes but I tend to just do a google search for Turkish recipes and have a go myself. My sister-in-laws taught me dolma and how to make non-sticky pilav but everything else I have adapted myself from recipes on the internet. You can also pick up recipe books around though they tend to be a bit dear.
Peaceplant is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

kusturk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateK
Hi
Does anybody know of any Turkish cookery classes in Bodrum? My husband is fed up of sandwiches!
would he like my jam roly poly i've just dropped it on the floor and ti aint arf made a mess
kusturk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Bolton Born and Bred

sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice

Hi Kate,
I would like to go to cookery classes as well. I have tried the turkish pilav a few times and never ends up like it should be!
Hope there are some about in Bodrum!
Sandra
sandpearse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2006, 13:36   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Leigh is on a distinguished road

There was a posting done by Angie Mitchell on the forum a few days ago regarding Turkish cooking classes and a book that she has written called "Secrets of the Turkish Kitchen" - I cant cook well at all (my poor husband suffers for it!!), and I bought Angie's book as it was recommended to me by a friend. I showed it to my (Turkish) husband who was delighted with the book and said if I can make these recipes he will be a very happy man. I'm pleased to report that I gave it a go, and have made Karniyarik (split belly aubergines stuffed with ground beef, onions & tomatoes). It got the thumbs up from my husband (he can be pretty hard to please when it comes to cooking) and I thought it looked and tasted really good.

So, tonight I'm being very daring and am going to try to make Izmir Kofte (casserole of meatballs, potatoes, tomatoes & peppers) for a small dinner party for a few of our Turkish friends. Bear in mind I have never cooked for anyone other than family, I'm nervous to say the least, but this book has given me the confidence to try it.

If you are thinking of buying a Turkish cooking book, buy this one - its like a god send!!!!
(I'm not on commission!!!). I have recommended it to many friends since I've bought it.

Recipes range from Meze (appetisers) and salads, corbalar (soups), vegetable dishes, meat & chicken dishes, fish & seafood, pilafs & savoury pastries, to sweets & puddings. The book has been colourfully illustrated too.
You can order the book online - the email address on the book is: www.turkishkitchen.org & [email protected]
Leigh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006, 08:56   #6 (permalink)

pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold pebble is a splendid one to behold

hey Leigh, how was your Izmir kofte? that dish is one of my children's favorite.

I just got a notice of the first cooking class, here is some information that might be useful

Cookery lessons/workshop
Angie Mitchell, author of 'Secrets of the Turkish Kitchen' is offering Turkish cookery tuition. The aims are-
To bring together 6 wannabes who wish to learn or improve their knowledge and experience of Turkish cuisine in a normal home kitchen environment. Being a small group, advice, tips and questions can be exchanged on a one on one level.
Each session will enable students to be learn how to put together a well planned, colourful and balanced Turkish dinner party, with dishes ranging from soup to dessert.

Sessions will take place in Bodrum and groups will be limited to 6 people. All ingredients will be provided on the day. The kick-off will be 10am and lunch will be what we prepare that day. The session is intended to finish around 3pm.

Example menu-

Ezo Gelin Corbasi - Daughter in law's soup

Sarimsakli Havuc - Carrots with a garlic infused dressing
Sigara Boregi - Crispy cheese and herb filled pastry rolls

Karniyarik - Split belly aubergines stuffed with ground beef, onions and tomatoes
Beyaz Pilav - White rice with currants and pine nuts

Kabak Tatlisi - Winter pumpkin dessert, served with kaymak

Cay, Kahve and a glass of wine with lunch are also included.

Those interested can sign up for individual workshops or a course of 4.

The sessions will be on Saturdays and Wednesdays commencing 22nd November

For more information -
[email protected]
Old 19th November 2006, 10:45   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Leigh is on a distinguished road

Hi Pebble

The Izmir Kofte was a great success! Compliments to the chef all round (me!!). I was so chuffed. Although, now that my first dinner party went so well, I bet hubby is going to want me to do more! Red wine complimented the meal really well (Two Oceans - a South African wine, and the other one was Terrea or something like that - a Turkish one : both were good). So thanks Angie for the recipe - will be making that one again!
Leigh is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 15:52   #8 (permalink)
Sarah

Hi Leigh

Is there anywhere in Bodrum this cookery can be bought? I would to be able to cook more Turkish dishes!!
send PM Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 21:30   #9 (permalink)

shirl is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Turkish Cooking in Bodrum

Hi everyone
I tried my hand at cooking Meatballs with cheese and it was great! I copied the 'recipe' from memory (eating them in Altinkum!) and adapted it.
Shirl
shirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 16:48   #10 (permalink)
Bolton Born and Bred

sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice sandpearse is just really nice

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have attended the last two cookery courses run by Angie Mitchell, and want to say how much I have enjoyed them. She is a superb cook, and has made the recipes very easy to follow, especially for a beginner like me!
There are 7 of us on the course at the moment, all like minded ladies wanting to learn more about Turkish cookery. So not only is it a great way to learn to cook, but also a great way to meet new people.
Angie structures the day, so that a whole menu is made, but done stage by stage so you can present a full dinner at the end of it.
I would recommend anyone wanting to learn to cook Turkish food to attend one of these courses. I guarantee you will enjoy it!
Sandra
sandpearse is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
bodrum , cooking , turkish