Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 26th March 2010, 08:53   #11 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,995 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute
Re: help learning turkish

Shirley your lessons were always extremely good and quite easy to understand. Possibly this is why I didn't ask any questions (or maybe it was because I didn't want to look stupid!!!). Also, I am not ;very good at studying nowadays and although I do try to learn stuff just doesn't stick in my head like it used to and I seem to get so far along a road and then come to an abrupt halt. However, I have a Turkish exam coming up at the beginning of May and although I can write and read (probably quite basic stuff) I cannot understand what people are saying to me, except my friend here in the village!!!!! So, I do need more help. Have to say that we are attending official Turkish language lessons but I still seem to be stuck, although I have learned a few extra words and grammatical points. So, please carry on with your daily Turkish lessons. I have reams of your stuff that I have copied and that I wade through so more can't hurt!!!!!
shirleyanntr (26th March 2010)
Old 26th March 2010, 09:01   #12 (permalink)
The Mayor of Gumbet

steve smith is a jewel in the rough steve smith is a jewel in the rough steve smith is a jewel in the rough

Shirley, just let me say your lessons were and still are brilliant, i have used the notes/exercises and even took them along to our Turkish lessons and distributed copies of them for begginers to use, thanks again.
shirleyanntr (26th March 2010)
Old 26th March 2010, 09:17   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 2,092 Times in 891 Posts
lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirley

I have followed your turkish language lessons and found them really useful, and have commented to that effect, but sometimes i have needed the 'idiots guide' to everyday stuff, like I have already mentioned.
By the way, thanks Harem, but we don't say 'inecek var' here, it's something completly different.
I'm trying to get to grips with 'variya' at the moment, which isn't in any of the books.

I am up for anything that helps my turkish, I consider myself in the group of 'special needs', takes me longer to take in the language and understand.
I find watching only Turkish programmes, and talking to people who have only Turkish, helps me the most.
I have a problem with my hearing which I think inhibits my learning but I don't let that stop me, I chat to anybody and everyone about anything.

I wouldn't want you to feel that we don't appreciate your lessons Shirley, I for one have found them extremely helpful, and I hope you continue sharing your knowledge with those of us who find ourselves lacking in that department.

P.s. Any help with the 'variya' would be gratefully received.
lara is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 09:34   #14 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

Afedersiniz = excuse me
Hesabı alabilir miyim = the bill please ["hesaber alabilir miyim"]
Sağol = thanks ["saol"]

Kac para = how much money? ["catch para"]
Çok para = too much money ["chok para"]
Cheap = Ucuz [ooch-ooz]
Expensive = pahale [pah-har-leh]

Today = bugün ["boogurn"]
Tomorrow = yarın ["yahruhn"]
Yesterday = dün ["doon"]
Now = şimdiki ["shimdiki"]
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:
emmacoban (26th March 2010)
Old 26th March 2010, 09:37   #15 (permalink)

lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute lara has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gren

Can you explain the 'ki' on the end of 'simdiki', I find the 'ki' very hard to take in.

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to lara For This Useful Post:
emmacoban (26th March 2010)
Old 26th March 2010, 09:52   #16 (permalink)

Thanked 1,270 Times in 834 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

You will often get a better response if you put "lütfen" (please) before any request . Official notices do this even when they are a command.
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 09:53   #17 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

Actually, şimdi = now/straightaway
...but şimdiki = present (like current affairs)

So I think perhaps I should have used şimdi instead for 'now' because its more apt.
Thanks and I'm glad you brought that up.

As for the technological grammatical reasons may I introduce shirlywirly...
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:
lara (26th March 2010)
Old 26th March 2010, 10:01   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
You will often get a better response if you put "lütfen" (please) before any request . Official notices do this even when they are a command.
Thank you Chinook, always nice to be picked up on any little thing, even when there was no intention to be disrepectful in my enquiry.

I can understand now why some people might be put off posting.

Last edited by lara; 26th March 2010 at 10:07.. Reason: adding
Old 26th March 2010, 10:02   #19 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,995 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lara, where is it that you don't say inecek var??

Last edited by Harem; 26th March 2010 at 10:05..
Harem is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 10:09   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harem View Post
Hi Lara, where is it that you don't say inecek var??
In Marmaris, we say "Musaaide bir yerde", excuse the spelling.

Tags
learning , turkish