Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2011, 18:43   #1 (permalink)

sharn1008 is on a distinguished road
hi I am new to this and need some advice on turkish law.

Hi I need some advice I dont know if am in the right place not use to the site yet.I am british citizen married to a turkish man and am pregnant lastnight he got arrested, I am in the uk right now I have tried to contact police every one I can and had no luck.
The police are saying i can not have any contact with him at all for atleast 2 to 3 months as that is when he will goto court for his sentencing they told me he got into a fight and robbed someone, and they said hewas looking at 4 years in prison I dont know what to do or what i can do.
I will try call the consulate in ankara but him been a turk citizen i doubt they will be much help.

can someone please advice me with any knowledge to these type of matters.

thank you.
sharn1008 is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 16th April 2011, 19:07   #2 (permalink)

sued is a jewel in the rough sued is a jewel in the rough sued is a jewel in the rough
Re: hi I am new to this and need some advice on turkish law.

Oh dear you have a difficult situation to deal with ,I do not know what the turkish law is regarding your situation but I would have thought someone in his family or a friend may be better to adivice you of the situation and perhaps be allowed to visit him .
Take care of yourself and the baby first and foremost .

Sued
sued is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sued For This Useful Post:
sharn1008 (16th April 2011)
Old 16th April 2011, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Abdul ibn bool bool

Thanked 1,069 Times in 505 Posts
niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of niyaz has much to be proud of

Hi Sharn1008, i really feel sorry for you and i wish i could help but i am not really good at this sort of situation but common sense dictates that you wait and see what the outcome is and how long and where he will be serving his prison sentance.There is nothing anyone can do to bail him out of this mess.You could get some advice from the British embassy in turkey and maybe ask them to help you cos your husband is in prison. Better still go to your citizens advice bureau. All the best and i hope things work out for you. I will pray for you.
niyaz is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niyaz For This Useful Post:
Old 16th April 2011, 19:19   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sued View Post
Oh dear you have a difficult situation to deal with ,I do not know what the turkish law is regarding your situation but I would have thought someone in his family or a friend may be better to adivice you of the situation and perhaps be allowed to visit him .
Take care of yourself and the baby first and foremost .

Sued
Thank you for your reply, He doesn't have much contact with his family and the I have messaged & called everyone he has contact with friends and family but no luck so far I hear turks stick together but obviously in my husbands situation this is not the case.
But thank you for replying I will try and speak with a avukut and contacting the consulate maybe I can get some advice or whom to contact.
thanks
sharn1008 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 19:23   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niyaz View Post
Hi Sharn1008, i really feel sorry for you and i wish i could help but i am not really good at this sort of situation but common sense dictates that you wait and see what the outcome is and how long and where he will be serving his prison sentance.There is nothing anyone can do to bail him out of this mess.You could get some advice from the British embassy in turkey and maybe ask them to help you cos your husband is in prison. Better still go to your citizens advice bureau. All the best and i hope things work out for you. I will pray for you.
thank you niyaz, is there no way to bail him out as we would be have in uk or appeal when the sentencing is in place? and does anyone know how long they usualy get for something like this?
thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 19:53   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,780 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your problem Sharn. One of our moderators called Alison works for a lawyer maybe she will be able to help you, she's not on line at the moment but maybe later. It sounds fairly serious if they are keeping him in custody. Who is giving you this information and where is your husband being held?.
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzyq For This Useful Post:
Old 16th April 2011, 20:04   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem Sharn. One of our moderators called Alison works for a lawyer maybe she will be able to help you, she's not on line at the moment but maybe later. It sounds fairly serious if they are keeping him in custody. Who is giving you this information and where is your husband being held?.
thank you for your reply Suzy,

this information is given to me by the officer who arrested or dealing with my husbands arrest, they won't even tell me where he is been held or any info all he told me is he is in a ceza house in Aksaray and he will attend court 2-3 months later where he will be sentenced. The officer told me my husband is looking at 4 yrs in prison thats all I know.

I would be greatful if you could get Alison to message me with any help, advice or info that will help me in the right direction.
thanl you so much.
Old 16th April 2011, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
millilove76

Thanked 3,422 Times in 874 Posts
millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharn, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Can i ask...how do you know that it was a police officer that called you? I am asking you because what you have been told just doesn't sound at all right. Before he goes to court, even if he is remanded in custody in a jail he would be allowed contact with you.
I hope everyone doesn't jump on me for this but can i ask are you 100% sure of your relationship with him? Could he be finding the pressure of becoming a father too much and is looking for a reason to spend some time apart? Family is very important in Turkey and most families would pull together if an unborn child is envolved. Have you met his mother or father? Have you been to his home town? I'm sorry to ask and if i upset you i'm sorry about that too.Its just i have seen similar stories of married men going to work in resorts, they meet a girl, promise the earth, get her pregnant then have a wedding...family isnt thereas they felll out (a lie) in winter he cant get a visa so he says and he's back home with the missus.
millilove76 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to millilove76 For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (16th April 2011), cokdeli (17th April 2011), sharn1008 (16th April 2011)
Old 16th April 2011, 20:25   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millilove76 View Post
Hi Sharn, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Can i ask...how do you know that it was a police officer that called you? I am asking you because what you have been told just doesn't sound at all right. Before he goes to court, even if he is remanded in custody in a jail he would be allowed contact with you.
I hope everyone doesn't jump on me for this but can i ask are you 100% sure of your relationship with him? Could he be finding the pressure of becoming a father too much and is looking for a reason to spend some time apart? Family is very important in Turkey and most families would pull together if an unborn child is envolved. Have you met his mother or father? Have you been to his home town? I'm sorry to ask and if i upset you i'm sorry about that too.Its just i have seen similar stories of married men going to work in resorts, they meet a girl, promise the earth, get her pregnant then have a wedding...family isnt thereas they felll out (a lie) in winter he cant get a visa so he says and he's back home with the missus.
Thank you for your reply, its ok you have asked these question I have no problem and hope no one else will either I have been in a relationship with him since may last year I have lived with him in turkey from september upto jan this year most of the time was with his family we got married, his family will not help due to the reason because my husband dose not see eye to eye with his father as all he does is asks for money and after we got married he told his dad he has his own family and a child on the way so he will not be abke to send his salary to his father since then there have been issues with his family.
my husband was allowed to call me for few minutes and all is said he was sorry and he got arrested and is going prison and then he called me again from the officers number which i called back while he was in the police station i called many times and they kept saying to call back later the last call from my husband was from his own phone saying he has to switch it of now and they are taking him away.
he contacted me and one of his close cousins the officer adviced me to get a avukut that he will be provided one by the court by better if i get a private avukat. hope all that answers your questions.
thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 20:28   #10 (permalink)
millilove76

Thanked 3,422 Times in 874 Posts
millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute millilove76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharn1008 View Post
Thank you for your reply, its ok you have asked these question I have no problem and hope no one else will either I have been in a relationship with him since may last year I have lived with him in turkey from september upto jan this year most of the time was with his family we got married, his family will not help due to the reason because my husband dose not see eye to eye with his father as all he does is asks for money and after we got married he told his dad he has his own family and a child on the way so he will not be abke to send his salary to his father since then there have been issues with his family.
my husband was allowed to call me for few minutes and all is said he was sorry and he got arrested and is going prison and then he called me again from the officers number which i called back while he was in the police station i called many times and they kept saying to call back later the last call from my husband was from his own phone saying he has to switch it of now and they are taking him away.
he contacted me and one of his close cousins the officer adviced me to get a avukut that he will be provided one by the court by better if i get a private avukat. hope all that answers your questions.
thanks
Thanks for being undertanding...i'm thinking on things as to how i could help x
millilove76 is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , arrest , law , prison , turkish