Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 26th April 2011, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute
Menu Prices in Turkey

We had a 'to do' in a restaurant the other lunch time. We ordered chicken salads at 15 lira each which was quite enough as it was just a small piece with a few leaves and some bread. It was pleasant enough but when the bill came it bore no relation to the menu prices and the chicken salads were 23 lira each. I questioned this and was told the menu we were given showed last years prices and they were waiting for the new menues. They finally agreed to charge us the prices we had been shown but it was all a bit unpleasant and we won't be returning. Was what they did illegal in Turkey?
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 26th April 2011, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Available in sarcastic to

Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,090 Posts
tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute tykatem has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menu Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplumba View Post
Was what they did illegal in Turkey?
Do you think it would worry them even if it was?

Pleased to hear that you stood your ground and got the prices you were shown, well done.

Pete
A89 (27th April 2011), alison09400 (26th April 2011), Expat2008 (26th April 2011), Hilsjw (27th April 2011), teosgirl (27th April 2011)
Old 26th April 2011, 16:39   #3 (permalink)

kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it wouldn't worry them but it made me wonder if they had trading standard laws and if so was there anyone who you should complain to. I can't get over that their price for a piece of chicken and a few salad leaves will be 23 lira this season. Obviously we will vote with our feet and will not pay those kind of prices. We visit Switzerland quite often and that is the kind of price we would expect to pay there! In UK our local wouldn't charge almost 10 pounds for a chicken salad.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,806 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Jane, complain to the Zabita.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:08   #5 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

yes the zabita control trading standards..and this happened to Tracey last week (you know Tracey Jane) she and another woman had a meal in Adana Ocakbaşı which has always been a good lokanta in Alanya..and the same thing happened...Tracey also stood her ground and wouldnt pay the updated price which was on a menu the manager brought out ..and told the same story that you heard. She said she would go to the Zabıta..and she got the bıll at the prıce on the first menu.
İt pays to check and challenge
Old 26th April 2011, 17:08   #6 (permalink)

Well I won't bother now because we sorted it to our satisfaction but I would like to think people can't just do this without any laws to protect the consumer.
Maybe this is a common start of season problem. They could have easily put stickers over the old prices until the new menu comes though. I must say though that never in a million years would I pay 23 lira for what we had, extortionate prices I think. We wouldn't have stayed to order had we seen that.

Last edited by kaplumba; 26th April 2011 at 17:13..
Old 27th April 2011, 06:45   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,106 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute

Jane, was this in Datca? Good for you in refusing to accept it!
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 07:29   #8 (permalink)

Palamut Buku Yildez but I won't name the place as they did resolve it to our satisfaction and were quite apologetic. I must say we have rarely had this kind of thing happen. Later we had drinks round at Ogun's Place at Hayit Buku and as usual he refused any payment then we went to the curtain shop for hooks and he wouldn't take any money either. So one bad incident among the many good ones isn't a big deal.
PS sorry we haven't managed to catch up with you. We did keep our eyes open for you on market day and have looked up on your balcony to see if you were there.
Old 27th April 2011, 08:25   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,106 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute

I can guess where you were, and have heard similar reports. Even though I know the owner really well I rarely go there; I prefer the restaurant on the narrowest bit of road before you get to the place in question. The lady chef does the best mezzes and her Kalamar is to die for; it's a favourite in the winter when Palamut is deserted and exquisite!!!!
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:25   #10 (permalink)

Re: Menu Prices in Turkey

Well it was pretty much deserted when we were there and apparently we were the first customers for the new waiter. We usually go to the Dostlar restaurant and have always enjoyed the food there but thought this time we would have a change. The sea as usual was lovely and one of our group went in.

Tags
menu , prices , turkey