Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2011, 07:12   #1 (permalink)

shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all
Documents Required for Selling Property in Turkey

Hi - can anyone who has recently sold tell me exactly what paperwork we will need to provide? Is it just the TAPU or will we need passports, etc. My concern is that the TAPU and my current passport are in different names (one in my married name and one in my maiden name) and I want to avoid any problems when we eventually sell our house (which has just gone on the market). Thank you and best wishes, Shazeroo
shazeroo is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 27th May 2011, 08:16   #2 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,343 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Documents Required for Selling Property

Hi, good luck with your sale.

No need to change the name on your tapu but you'll need to have your Marriage Certificate translated into Turkish and Notarised to be submitted at the tapu office along with other paperwork at the time of Tapu transfer to new owner.

On that day, you will also need, your original Tapu, your tax number, an in-date Dask insurance certificate for the property you are selling, habitation certificate if available,a 'no debt certificate' from your local Belediye, your passport translated into Turkish and Notarised, and last but not least, either yourself there in person with a translator or someone acting on your behalf that has Power of Attorney from you to sell your property.

Sounds complicated but it's not really. Your agent would normally ensure that everything is put together properly for you.

Last edited by Freedom 49; 27th May 2011 at 08:18.. Reason: omission
Freedom 49 is online now send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freedom 49 For This Useful Post:
alison09400 (27th May 2011), ChrisBobs (27th May 2011), shazeroo (28th May 2011)
Old 27th May 2011, 11:09   #3 (permalink)

shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all shazeroo is a name known to all

Thank you so much for all the information. My situation is a little strange.... I have dual nationality, so my UK passport has always been in my maiden name, but I got my Irish passport in my married name - which is the name on the TAPU. However, last year when I tried to renew my Irish passport, the Irish Embassy said they should never have issued the passport in my married name because my UK passport was in my maiden name (and apparently you can't have 2 passports in different names... so the Irish Embassy should never have issued the first one!).

I can still legally apply for my new Irish passport... but only in my maiden name. (as that is what is on my UK passport). Of course, to complicate the issue everything in Turkey has always been done in my married name (house purchase, electric, tapu, bank account.... the works)... so now every document I have in Turkey is in my married name.... and I have no passport to back it all up any more! And the icing on the cake is that I have my original marriage certificate here with me... but it was badly water damaged (when I dropped my bag into the river!!). Obviously as we are selling I want to ensure everything goes smoothly.... and can already envisage the problems ahead as I am now a different name.. and nationality.... to what is on the Tapu!!!! I have my cancelled Irish passport with me and luckily that had my maiden name put onto the first page, so there is some hope they will believe I am the same person... but I think I might need to see our solicitor and ensure everything is sorted out before we sell. I was thinking of giving power of attorney to my husband so this can all be in place before the ownership change.... but will likely run into the same problems with the passport confusion. I don't imagine for a moment anyone else has been in this situation??? But if you have, please tell me the best way to sort it out!! Best wishes, shazeroo
shazeroo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 15:34   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,033 Times in 683 Posts
ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of ChrisBobs has much to be proud of

Can't you get your UK passport renewed in your married name?..

sounds a mess, neeing lots of transltaion and notarising! good luck. But do it!

( and I also wonder if that is a worldwide rule about not having two passports in two different names...has implications for people taking Turkish citizenship and being cajoled into having a "Turkish name")

Last edited by ChrisBobs; 27th May 2011 at 15:35.. Reason: added
ChrisBobs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisBobs For This Useful Post:
shazeroo (28th May 2011)
Old 27th May 2011, 15:42   #5 (permalink)
No fun if it's too easy!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion!
Words Sorting Champion!

Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,343 Posts
Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute Freedom 49 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again,

Lose your British passport, get a new one issued in your married name.

I've known people 'lose' passports for allsorts of reasons, this could be the most straightforward way out.
shazeroo (28th May 2011)
Old 27th May 2011, 16:18   #6 (permalink)

.... that would be fine... except all my Irish and UK bank accounts are in my maiden name, in fact apart from Turkey, I always used my maiden name and of course in hindsight, I should have applied for my original Irish passport in my maiden name. However, as we were buying in Turkey I thought it would be better to use my married name... so applied for an Irish passport in that name and it was issued without question - despite the fact that I had written all my UK passport details on the application form. When the Irish passport expired, I did exactly the same... but this time they refused and said the first one shouldn't have been issued - which is no use now. If I now get a UK passport in my married name I will have the same problem with all my Irish and UK paperwork... it seems I have managed to get myself into quite an unusual situation... I never dreamt they wouldn't just renew my Irish passport in the same name as the old one so it came as quite a shock!
Old 27th May 2011, 16:21   #7 (permalink)

When I spoke to the Irish Embassy about this, they said that no-one was allowed passports in different names at the same time.... so perhaps there are more people out there who may run into the same problem. It is frustrating that they didn't pick this up originally though and only told me it was not allowed 10 years later.... my UK passport had expired, so I only used my Irish one until it was due to expire and then renewed my UK one before sending off for the new Irish one.... it all sounds a bit daft, but we travel all the time and have family in the UK and Ireland so I never want to be without a valid passport and having 2 seemed ideal.... at the time!!!!
Old 27th May 2011, 16:28   #8 (permalink)

.... If I sort out Power of Attorney so my husband can proceed with the sale without me being there, does he still still to produce my passport at the tapu office? I was thinking that if we went to our solicitor (we are in Turkey for the next few months) and explain the situation and manage to get as far as transferring POA to my husband, then when the sale completes, he could go with just his passport and whatever proof needed that he has POA for me...... could that work?
Old 27th May 2011, 17:31   #9 (permalink)
Living in Gumusluk

karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold karios is a splendid one to behold

I think you can hand over full power of attorney to you`re husband and have it notarized that he can sell the house without you. I'm sure that someone will confirm this or not, if its right then thats the easiest way for you i think.
karios is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 17:35   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Yes agree Karios its no different than giving POA to a non family member .
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
documents , property , required , selling , turkey