Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2012, 11:56   #1 (permalink)
yeniyildiz

yeniyildiz has a spectacular aura about yeniyildiz has a spectacular aura about
Making a Will - is Psychiatrists Report really necessary?

I am planning to make a Will and a Turkish friend made informal enquiries to a lawyer friend of his about what is needed. The lawyer said that a lawyer isnt necessary, that I must first go to a Noter and then see a psychiatrist to get a report confirming I am of sound mind.

I'm reasonably confident (!) I would pass the test, but obviously dont want the expense and hassle unless absolutely necessary.

Has anyone else had to do this when making a Will?

(if its relevant, I am a Turkish citizen, and the Will involves bank accounts and personal possessions only - no real estate of any kind)

P:S: If I do need to see the psychiatrist, is there any chance the new sağlık sigorta will cover it?
yeniyildiz is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 16th April 2012, 12:42   #2 (permalink)

uyumsan is on a distinguished road
-->: Making a Will - is Psychiatrists Report really necessary?

Hello,

I had many problems in my own family so I'm a bit aware of these things but please do not take my word as a definite answer.. As far as I know as an individual a Turkish person does not have the right to choose an inheritor that the wealth of a person is divided between his/her family according to their closeness to the person. I have found a website explaining main rules of inheritance but it is in Turkish, here it is just in case.

http://www.uygun.av.tr/images/pdf/mrs.pdf

And also I think you need a report from a doctor if you are over 65. But as this information comes from a lawyer I'm not in the position to judge his/her knowledge... I hope I didn't confuse you... I think you better find an English speaking lawyer (or maybe a Noter) and ask him/her yourself and not to trust other people, because in Turkey everything tend to change from one minute to another so you really need to make sure you are talking to the right person and taking the right action.

Regards,
Uyum.
uyumsan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uyumsan For This Useful Post:
yeniyildiz (17th April 2012)
Old 16th April 2012, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,238 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Re: Making a Will - is Psychiatrists Report really necessary?

Personally I think it's a good idea, well lets face it, you or I could be the loonies most demented person on this earth and then we sign a document typed by someone else who was not present at the signing that says we are 'of sound mind', and just in who's opinion would that be?
Certainly not mine because if I was that loony I would not even know what I was signing.

And don't forget, people who sign as witness's to the signing of the will do not have the right to read the contents of the will, all they are signing to is to confirm that they witnessed the originator/deceased person sign the will which also has nothing to do with any medical or mental appraisal.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Old 16th April 2012, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
MIM

MIM will become famous soon enough

Also be aware that if you have a UK or a Will in another country that one will become invalid as your Will is as said, your Last Will and Testament is the only valid one..
Old 16th April 2012, 14:45   #5 (permalink)

LezliG has a spectacular aura about LezliG has a spectacular aura about

I recently made a Turkish will without the help of a solicitor. I used a translator who took me to the notary who then wrote my will according to my instructions. No need for medical appraisal. The translator also said that I still needed an English will as I had property in the UK and the Turkish will didn't cover it. My Turkish will covers any property, cars or money in bank accounts here in Turkey only. I have a copy, the notary has a copy and a copy went to the consul in Ankara. This was in Fethiye.
LezliG is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LezliG For This Useful Post:
Old 16th April 2012, 14:49   #6 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIM View Post
Also be aware that if you have a UK or a Will in another country that one will become invalid as your Will is as said, your Last Will and Testament is the only valid one..
No it doesn't. As long as the wording is correct on both wills there isn't an issue.

JF
Old 16th April 2012, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,238 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
No it doesn't. As long as the wording is correct on both wills there isn't an issue.

JF
JohnF is quite correct, providing the wording is correct, which is also advocated by Turkish government especially if and where property is involved.

Heck, this subject had been around the bush that many times I find it depressing that people are still getting it wrong.

On the Turkish governments web site they state they will honour a UK will.
(sorry I no longer have a link to the exact wording)
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 16:45   #8 (permalink)

JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold JohnF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Heck, this subject had been around the bush that many times I find it depressing that people are still getting it wrong.
It comes round every year, usually about when the summer flights start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
On the Turkish governments web site they state they will honour a UK will.
Unfortunately, what they say on a web site and what happens locally in front of the judge are two entirely different things.

JF
Old 16th April 2012, 17:55   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,999 Times in 812 Posts
kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute kaplumba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
It comes round every year, usually about when the summer flights start!

Unfortunately, what they say on a web site and what happens locally in front of the judge are two entirely different things.

JF
This goes round in circles with everybody stating what they think. If it is any help I have a letter from the Turkish Embassy stating that under Turkish law my UK will is legal in Turkey. Just to be extra careful our house is in my name only so that if my husband dies before me I will have no problems. If I die it seems that under this family portion thing he would get it anyway and if they see fit to give some of it to our sons, well that is ok too.
kaplumba is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 18:30   #10 (permalink)

Like everything in Turkey, it all comes down to local interpretation and implementation - get the right judge, no problem, get the wrong judge... your heirs can be faced with years of court appearances and hoops to jump through.

Good estate planning is essential if you have immoveable assets in Turkey. There are several methods available to ensure the process is easier than going via the courts, all it takes is a bit of lateral thinking.

JF

Tags
making , psychiatrists , report