Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 28th November 2012, 21:01   #1 (permalink)

turkeybiscuit is on a distinguished road
help and advice required please

Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to ask a question and I am not to sure if I have posted it in the correct place so, sorry if this in the wrong area.

I am British and I use to live in Turkey, whilst living there I decided to buy a motorbike to get around on. The bike was all legal and in my name and had the correct registration to me etc...

This was over 3 years ago and I returned back to the UK. I left the motorbike with my neighbor/friend to look after and turn it over once in a while to stop the battery going flat, he did not need to use it for any other purpose as he has 2 cars.

I recently got a phone call from my neighbor telling me that he had ridden the motorbike and got caught by the police/jandarma and the bike has been taken off him and impounded. Of course I was very annoyed and surprised he used the bike when he had no need.

He is know telling me that the police/jandarma are charging for everyday that the bike is in their possession and that if I don't A) come over and take the bike out myself or B) get a power of attorney letter produced here in the uk and legalized and sent to him, that they will add these charges to the house I own in Turkey and eventually they will be able to take my house to pay the fine.

I am obviously very worried by this and annoyed if this is true but, I do not understand how I can penalized for doing absolutely nothing except leave my bike with my neighbor.

Surely he would would be the one in trouble for using the bike not me ?

If you twoc(take without consent) in England the police would not put a charge on the owners house to get the bike out so, I really cannot get my head around why they would do this in Turkey if, this true.

If anyone could shed any light on this situation and tell me where I truly stand I would really appreciate it, I don't want to risk losing my house for the sake of a motorbike or cause any problems for myself when I do go out to Turkey for a holiday

Thanks for your time in advance

Turkeybiscuit
turkeybiscuit is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 28th November 2012, 21:08   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 3,853 Times in 1,594 Posts
beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: help and advice required please

You say the bike is registered to you. İs it on Mavi plates? Also have you been paying the road tax whilst in England?
beyazbayan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 21:24   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,785 Posts
alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute

You are fined for letting this man drive your bike when he wasn't supposed to.

Same happened to my son who sold a motorbike but the guy was stalling having it put in his name because of the Notary costs. He was stopped by the police and because he had no licence and the ruhsat wasn't in his name, my son was also fined.
alison09400 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 21:26   #4 (permalink)

I am not sure to be honest.

I bought the bike brand new from a showroom, when to Aydin to a government building to do some form of registration and then to my local police department in Altinkum to get the number plate, I paid insurance for the bike the year I used it over 3 years ago and since then its been with my neighbor on his balcony.
turkeybiscuit is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 21:28   #5 (permalink)

partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice partypixie is just really nice

Unfortunately itS a bit of a catch 22 ....say you gave him permission and had you been here you would have been fined 300 lira and been able to collect the bike, as you weren't here it was impounded. Yes they can charge for every day that they have it. Even if you say he took it without your permission you will have to pay for every day you don't collect it.
partypixie is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 21:30   #6 (permalink)

But I was not aware he had ridden the bike until he told me. So they can fine the person even though I am not in the country ?. What would happen if I reported the bike stolen ?

So your saying if someone takes something in Turkey (twoc) its the owner that gets fined, hmmm worrying.

Do the police in Turkey just crush the bike after a certain period of time ?

Can they add the charges to my property ?

This seems really unfair.
Old 28th November 2012, 21:45   #7 (permalink)

Sorry another extra question

If i give power of attorney of my bike to my neighbor and he sells it to someone else, and they don't get it notarized into the new owners name etc, and the new driver gets caught in the same situation.

Like the lady says above am I still liable again for the fine ??
Old 28th November 2012, 21:51   #8 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,610 Times in 13,087 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

They will put a charge on anything that you own. You really need to come out & sort it, I should imagine the guy riding it is also in trouble if its on a MA plate, Turks are not allowed on MA plates

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 22:28   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 3,853 Times in 1,594 Posts
beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute

İf it's on Mavi Plates he can not ride it. İf you are not a Turkish national you can not have it in your name without mavi plates. You could state he had not your permission to ride it if it is on mavi plates. As stated above that's an extra fine also if you have not taxed it ( doesn't matter if you use it or not) or had it MOTed that's extra fines. Think you need to speak to a legal expert.
beyazbayan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 22:44   #10 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

hi Turkeybiscuit i cant help feeling sorry for you but why on earth did you leave a new bike here for 3 years it was asking for trouble ...begging to be ridden a bike is so easy to get around on
apart from that you have a major problem and charges on vehicles in a police pound mount up fast
even if you gave poa to your friend plus money owed can you guarantee he is telling the truth you need to speak to the police yourself before you do anything
bottom line is how much money is he wanting from you

Tags
advice , required