Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2014, 14:37   #1 (permalink)

saltandpepper is on a distinguished road
Ca half Turkish kids leave Turkey without absent parent's permission?

Hello

Bit of background info, hope people can advice.

I have 3 half Turkish children, only one of the kid's has Duel nationality, ages 8, 7 and 2.

Two of the kids have Turkish first names, but the child with Duel nationality has a British first name. I changed her name to a British name on her Birth Certificate, Section 18 within 12 months of her birth. She was given Duel BEFORE the name change, therefore her Kimlik is in her previous Turkish first name.

All kids have British Passports and the Duel child's passport shows her British first name.

Their surnames although Turkish are the same as the average British surname, so people think they all have a British surname (which is lucky).

Turkish dad lives in UK and has nothing to do with them.

So now to the question, I would like to take the children to Turkey next year for a holiday, but if their dad finds out they are in Turkey he has threatened to prevent them from leaving to return back to UK. I have spoken to the Passport Police at DLM airport and they have said that if I enter Turkey with the children as a single parent, then I will be allowed to leave with them. I am unsure of this.

I have taken advice from Turkish lawyers, but each person seems to have a different take on this. The British Embassy website states 'If you are leaving Turkey with a child who is a dual British-Turkish national, you may be asked to show the Turkish immigration authorities evidence that the Turkish parent has given permission for the child to travel'. As my Duel child now has a new passport with a British name, not sure they could link her as being Duel - however, all my kids look Turkish :-)

Any advice, suggestions or info would be gratefully received.
saltandpepper is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th August 2014, 16:00   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ca half Turkish kids leave Turkey without absent parent's permission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltandpepper View Post
Hello

Bit of background info, hope people can advice.

I have 3 half Turkish children, only one of the kid's has Duel nationality, ages 8, 7 and 2.

Two of the kids have Turkish first names, but the child with Duel nationality has a British first name. I changed her name to a British name on her Birth Certificate, Section 18 within 12 months of her birth. She was given Duel BEFORE the name change, therefore her Kimlik is in her previous Turkish first name.

All kids have British Passports and the Duel child's passport shows her British first name.

Their surnames although Turkish are the same as the average British surname, so people think they all have a British surname (which is lucky).

Turkish dad lives in UK and has nothing to do with them.

So now to the question, I would like to take the children to Turkey next year for a holiday, but if their dad finds out they are in Turkey he has threatened to prevent them from leaving to return back to UK. I have spoken to the Passport Police at DLM airport and they have said that if I enter Turkey with the children as a single parent, then I will be allowed to leave with them. I am unsure of this.

I have taken advice from Turkish lawyers, but each person seems to have a different take on this. The British Embassy website states 'If you are leaving Turkey with a child who is a dual British-Turkish national, you may be asked to show the Turkish immigration authorities evidence that the Turkish parent has given permission for the child to travel'. As my Duel child now has a new passport with a British name, not sure they could link her as being Duel - however, all my kids look Turkish :-)

Any advice, suggestions or info would be gratefully received.

Hi,

Firstly, don't you need the fathers permission to take the children on holiday?

If you all exit the UK on British passports (without a kimlik) and enter Turkey on holiday visas, then you should be able to return to the UK without any issues. The only time I've been asked about the father was during re-entering the UK, because I exited Turkey using our Turkish ID cards (because you can't exit without a valid visa, so you have to show your Kimlik if you don't have one) Luckily he was in the next queue.

Obviously this is not expert advice and I have no idea whether or not your situation might alter if he interferes at the Turkish end.

Personally I would choose another holiday destination and avoid the stress.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014)
Old 5th August 2014, 16:47   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,052 Posts
Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute

The Turkish legal system, being the Turkish legal system.
I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Sha Hoorsur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sha Hoorsur For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014), Ceni (5th August 2014), ChristineP (7th August 2014), Hilsjw (7th August 2014), LauraB (5th August 2014), margaret (7th August 2014), spears (7th August 2014), Spurs (5th August 2014)
Old 5th August 2014, 17:55   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,790 Times in 638 Posts
PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute PASH has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i would not jepordise your children's future by trying - have a holiday somewhere else and enjoy!
bal canavar (7th August 2014), Ceni (5th August 2014), Hilsjw (7th August 2014), margaret (7th August 2014), Spurs (5th August 2014)
Old 5th August 2014, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

The advert is: Turkey or Spain, Turkey or Spain, Turkey or Spain, Turkey or Spain?

Turkey or children? That's a no brainer, don't go!! You could well be coming back alone. If there was even a slight chance of your children being at risk, you just don't do it.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014), Ceni (5th August 2014), ChristineP (7th August 2014), Hilsjw (7th August 2014), jakkigers (5th August 2014), jewel (6th August 2014), PASH (5th August 2014)
Old 6th August 2014, 23:06   #6 (permalink)

Aisha18 is on a distinguished road

I was stopped at Istanbul when my son was 8weeks old just because he had his fathers turkish name asked me lots of questions about the father and my son in the end they let me onto the flight my son didn't have dual nationality at that time just british passport was very shuck up as thought they were going to stop me flying , I would risk it either if there is any chance he could object you taking them out of turkey as you will be stopped.
Aisha18 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aisha18 For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014)
Old 6th August 2014, 23:46   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,052 Posts
Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute Sha Hoorsur has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are taking heed of the advice you are being given S&P
Sha Hoorsur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sha Hoorsur For This Useful Post:
LauraB (7th August 2014), shirleyanntr (7th August 2014), Spurs (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014, 06:39   #8 (permalink)

Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold Sara-666 is a splendid one to behold

Flew twice with one of my sons to the UK and back, once no problems at all, not even questioned, the second time they asked my son if he was ok with travelling without his father (in Turkish, they thought I wouldn't understand) we both have British passports but Turkish surname. TBH there are so many other places to go why risk it?
bal canavar (7th August 2014), Spurs (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014, 07:31   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 8,100 Times in 2,886 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

If you value your children ( and I'm sure you do ) then don't risk it. Take the good advise of all those on here who know the ropes in Turkey. If you MUST visit Turkey, for any reason I suggest you leave your children with a relative or good friend.
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014), margaret (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014, 07:31   #10 (permalink)

Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough

My son has a different surname to me. We are both British. A few years ago we went to Turkey via Turkish Airlines. My son was 12 or 13.... I was questioned when leaving the UK about who he was. I was told I should have a letter of authority from his father to take him abroad. My son was taken to one side and asked whether I was his mother, and whether he was happy to go away with me! We were allowed to continue on our trip, but from that experience I would advise you to not take this trip.
Jane Moorman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jane Moorman For This Useful Post:
bal canavar (7th August 2014), margaret (7th August 2014)

Tags
absent , half , kids , leave , parent , permission , turkey , turkish