Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2015, 20:35   #1 (permalink)

Brightonmumma is on a distinguished road
National Service help! Slightly complicated situation.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help us, the consulate in London have not been overly helpful and we don't speak Turkish so we are finding it very difficult to find the information we need.

Here is the situation (I'll try to keep it brief):

My husband was born in England, he has lived here all his life and does not speak any Turkish. He is 30, his mother was English and his father is Turkish. His parents split when he was 2.

4 years ago my husband deferred his national service for 1 year. We did not realise he could do it until he was 38, we were under the impression he had to this every year. In order to defer he had to get an ID card and a Turkish passport, which he did successfully.

We have just had a baby and wish to introduce our son to his Turkish family. We went to the consulate to defer his service again, this tme til he's 38.They have said that my husband should never have been given the ID card or the Turkish passport as his name is registered differently in Turkey. When he was very young his mother changed his name slightly e.g. his name was John Smith and it was changed to John Smith Jones. His English passport is in this name and he presented his change of name deed when he applied for the Turkish passport and ID card.

They said a lot of things at the consulate and didn't really answer our questions. It seemed they didn't have the answers or something was lost in translation. Whilst their English is good, it's hard to convey legal matters in another language.

They have said he can't defer until he has changed his name in Turkey too. They have told us that this could take several months. We are due to fly on Friday and have provided us with a letter to present if we get into any trouble when leaving the country. The consulate also said that in Turkey he is not registered as a dual citizen, they could not alaborate further. I presume they meant under his new name he's not a Turkish citizen.

My husband is currently working and studying at university. He is willing to do his service, but now is a bad time.

Does anyone know where we stand? Is it true that if he's required to do his national service he's allowed to come home for 2 months to 'sort out his affairs'. Is it really possible that he could be arrested, even if we can demonstrate that he's studying and has attempted to defer?

Thank you in advance! Sorry for such a long post!
Brightonmumma is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 21st January 2015, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,174 Times in 8,709 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: National Service help! Slightly complicated situation.

Has he got a UK passport, if so just travel on that

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days

Last edited by yalimart; 21st January 2015 at 20:47..
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 21:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 3,853 Times in 1,594 Posts
beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute beyazbayan has a reputation beyond repute

He must be travelling on a UK passport otherwise he cannot get back into UK without a visa. Travel on his UK passport and buy an e visa do not use or bring his Turkish passport or İD with you leave them at home. Do not discuss this matter with his family Turks are gossips and half the village will know by tea time including any relatives of the local authorities.
beyazbayan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute

I would say "Slightly complicated situation" is an understatement. Tell us more.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,369 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

If he was born in England then surely he is English, it's not as if he was born in transit.

So as said previously just travel on his UK passport.

I must admit I do find it strange when people born in one country call themselves by another nationality, or is it more a case of 'wannabe' classed as something else.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 21:19   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,857 Posts
tosmur has disabled reputation

As mentioned just travel with British passport, I doubt anyone will ask any questions. If your husband wants to defer until he is 38 then why not sort wait until that time then dual nationality, if he is living in the UK and don't need Turkish nationality at this point in time. Good Luck
tosmur is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:31   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for your replies!! I feel more confident about going now. My husband doesn't consider himself Turkish, only English and always uses his British passport and gets a visa. Previously we have been to Turkey without deferring and he was taken away to a room at the airport. He was there for about 30 minutes. He didn't understand what they said to him, but they looked at his passport and sent him on his way, so we just don't know where we stand! The consulate told us he can't renounce without changing his name in Turkey, so we're in limbo. I just don't want him to be arrested! I have a feeling the only reason he's questioned at the airport is because his name is so obviously Turkish.
Brightonmumma is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:35   #8 (permalink)

Also I should add that the army office often send letters to his father in Istanbul asking for my husband's whereabouts so he's defiantly registered for military service.
Brightonmumma is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:57   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 7,693 Times in 3,200 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

I cant get my head around this, he is British with a British passport, that should be the end of it. But has his dad done something along the way in Turkey, like re-registered the birth or something.
I cant understand why his dad receives letters unless it has to do with deferring military recruitment which as a UK citizen he didnt have to do anyway.

Confused.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
Ceni (22nd January 2015)
Old 21st January 2015, 22:58   #10 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,104 Times in 2,369 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Strange,

It seems as if his parents at some stage registered him in Turkey and he was unaware of it.

But he is English/British with a british passport so unless he actually wants to do the army service then I can't see how they can make him do it.

Edit:
4 years ago my husband deferred his national service for 1 year.

It looks like his original deferral notice is the culprit that is now causing the paper problem

Last edited by oldfogy; 21st January 2015 at 23:04..
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Ceni (22nd January 2015)

Tags
complicated , national , service , situation , slightly