Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > Turkish Legal Helpdesk

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2015, 14:47   #1 (permalink)

CihanTurk is on a distinguished road
Advice on Inheritance law in Turkey for expats

Hi,

Recently my father passed away and his ex-girlfriend has been in touch to let me know. Now she's told me that I'm the only one left in his will, and asked for my number/email to give to his lawyer. I find this odd as my father knew my number and would have given it to his lawyer, so why was I not firstly contacted by his lawyer.

Through talking to this lawyer, it seems he wants a POA to search for assets. Surely, as my father's lawyer, he would know of my father's assets to begin with (I will paste an email the translator sent me). It all seems very suspicious, and from the messages his ex-girlfriend sent about how my father did not marry her/give her children, it almost seems as if she's trying to get me ripped off, and gave my number to a lawyer that she knows, and probably has nothing to do with my father. I will post the email now, with names removed.

"Dear Mr XXXX
İn regards to our telephone conversation on 7th June 2015 I Mr OOOO am working for Lawyer Mr IIIIIIII and contacting you behalf of Mr IIIIIIII.To trace assets of Mr XXXX we need your authorisation for us to proceed.
This authorisation will only give us the permission to search for assets.
Please do not hesitate to contact me by e mail or telephone.
Regards Mr OOOO."

My mum, too, finds it suspicious and I don't know what to do next. I have gotten in touch with a Turkish law firm in London because if I am going to give a POA, it will be to a lawyer I trust, rather than one that has only been able to contact me from my father's EX-partner.

Thank you for any advice/opinions.
CihanTurk is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 8th June 2015, 14:50   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,758 Posts
evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on Inheritance

As a good old Sarf London saying goes . It sounds a bit iffy to me .
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 15:04   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have some questions, mostly out of curiosity but also because its not quite clear whether or not the lawyer is representing your fathers interests or not.

Has this particular lawyer actually asked you to give him POA to do the search? In the email he just seems to ask for your permission to continue the search, not for you to sign anything.

Have you spoken with the lawyer he claims he is representing? Have you asked for the address of the law firm?

Have you asked to see a copy of your fathers will? (Wondering as the sole beneficiary would you be allowed to?).

If in doubt, play it safe. Don't sign anything until you see proof they are the executors of your fathers will.

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teosgirl For This Useful Post:
Mushtaq (9th June 2015)
Old 8th June 2015, 15:05   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo80 View Post
As a good old Sarf London saying goes . It sounds a bit iffy to me .
It's really stressing me out. Would the Turkish consulate be able to help in these matters?
CihanTurk is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 15:06   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosgirl View Post
I have some questions, mostly out of curiosity but also because its not quite clear whether or not the lawyer is representing your fathers interests or not.

Has this particular lawyer actually asked you to give him POA to do the search? In the email he just seems to ask for your permission to continue the search, not for you to sign anything.

Have you spoken with the lawyer he claims he is representing? Have you asked for the address of the law firm?

Have you asked to see a copy of your fathers will? (Wondering as the sole beneficiary would you be allowed to?).

If in doubt, play it safe. Don't sign anything until you see proof they are the executors of your fathers will.

Charlotte
On the phone he asked me the same thing, but I don't know what powers he has. There could be some sort of small print where I give permission to continue the search, but then he screws me over. That's what I'm worrying about.

I shall ask to see a copy of my father's will. If they did not have that then they would not be his lawyers, right?
Old 8th June 2015, 15:46   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,096 Times in 559 Posts
Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of

I work in a Solicitors.

Your father may not have given your contact details to his lawyer. Address, probably, telephone number, unlikely.

Your father may not have detailed all of his assets in his will.

Contact details and assets change often, so they are often not given in great detail.

Be careful with what you sign, I'm not saying that this contact is Kosher, but the fact that he did not know your contact details of the assets of your father does not automatically mean it's a scam.
Hunt 23 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 15:49   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt 23 View Post
I work in a Solicitors.

Your father may not have given your contact details to his lawyer. Address, probably, telephone number, unlikely.

Your father may not have detailed all of his assets in his will.

Contact details and assets change often, so they are often not given in great detail.

Be careful with what you sign, I'm not saying that this contact is Kosher, but the fact that he did not know your contact details of the assets of your father does not automatically mean it's a scam.

Thank you for the response.
I suppose you are right in that sense. I'm gonna keep looking into it more, I've messaged the lawyer asking for a copy of the will, and some sort of evidence that he is my father's lawyer. This would be the correct process, right?

Another thing that flagged as suspicious was when I was on the phone the translator said "If you give permission we cannot take anything, we are doing this to help you". Call me cynical, but things like that do not make it any easier to trust haha.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:09   #8 (permalink)

Update for those who want to know:

I've just spoken to the lawyer/translator, and he's saying that he is not my father's lawyer, but my father's friend (who told my mother of his death) said that my mother asked her to sort out a solicitor for me. My mother denies that, and she has shown me the messages. So I really do believe they are trying to rip me off here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CihanTurk For This Useful Post:
suzyq (9th June 2015), teosgirl (8th June 2015)
Old 8th June 2015, 19:11   #9 (permalink)

Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough Jane Moorman is a jewel in the rough

I can only tell you about UK wills and being a beneficiary. If you are named as a beneficiary the solicitor should write and inform you. You have the right to see a copy of the will. You father should have appointed an executor (someone to handle his affairs when he dies). Sometimes that is a solicitor. In the UK the executor can be held responsible if the business of dealing with the estate is not dealt with properly.
I would ask the solicitor who the executor is... and contact them, assuming it is not the solicitor. I would also ask the solicitor to put all his request in writing, as well as provide a copy of the will.
Jane Moorman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 19:19   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Moorman View Post
I can only tell you about UK wills and being a beneficiary. If you are named as a beneficiary the solicitor should write and inform you. You have the right to see a copy of the will. You father should have appointed an executor (someone to handle his affairs when he dies). Sometimes that is a solicitor. In the UK the executor can be held responsible if the business of dealing with the estate is not dealt with properly.
I would ask the solicitor who the executor is... and contact them, assuming it is not the solicitor. I would also ask the solicitor to put all his request in writing, as well as provide a copy of the will.
Thank you for the message Jane.

They've changed the story now and said my father did not leave a will, but because I'm his only son, I am the one who his assets go to. So they basically want permission to find out what his assets are. However, I am curious as to whether there is some loophole or something they can exploit for their own gain. Especially when the lawyer is saying my father's friend was asked by mother to find a solicitor, when my mother says she asked for no such thing. We do not know how to proceed from this now, as we don't know who we can and cannot trust.

Tags
advice , expats , inheritance , law , turkey