Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 18th January 2016, 01:56   #1 (permalink)

northernlights is on a distinguished road
Poa

Hello everyone
My wife and I are both in the UK at the moment
But I need to have a poa from her to go to turkey to change something on our tapu
Please advise how should I go about it
Cheers
Jim

Last edited by northernlights; 18th January 2016 at 01:59..
northernlights is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 18th January 2016, 07:52   #2 (permalink)
African refugee

Thanked 18,791 Times in 9,537 Posts
Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute Jaycey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Poa

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
Hello everyone
My wife and I are both in the UK at the moment
But I need to have a poa from her to go to turkey to change something on our tapu
Please advise how should I go about it
Cheers
Jim
Surely it's easy enough to go see an attorney, solicitor, lawyer or whatever you call them in the UK?
Old 18th January 2016, 09:14   #3 (permalink)

greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold

To avoid problems in Turkey. ....and a wasted journey........you need everything organising here first.
1) a poa written by an English solicitor
2)this needs to be stamped and approved as 'legit'by the foreign and commonwealth office in Milton Keynes. ...quicker to go in person!
3)this has then to be further stamped and approved by the Turkish Embassy in Knightsbridge, London. ...again quicker to go by hand

When in Turkey the whole lot will need to be officially translated and notarised before being accepted.
All this is both a pain and an expense but knowing turkish officialdom it is better to dot the i's and cross the t's to avoid disappointment when you get there.
greensman01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 09:45   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

You may find this useful. Its issued by the Turkish British Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Powers of Attorney
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinook For This Useful Post:
Jaycey (18th January 2016)
Old 18th January 2016, 13:43   #5 (permalink)

The Ege Eye is on a distinguished road

Hi Northernligts

Greensman is trying to be helpful but it is not necessary to go to the expense of using a lawyer and in fact most UK solicitors will not know the correct wording needed for a document to be valid in Turkey anyway. You do not need any kind of involvement with the Turkish Embassy and it is just as quick to post the document to Milton Keynes unless, of course, you live in Milton Keynes!

It is important to follow the correct procedures to avoid the cost, time and inconvenience of having to repeat the exercise.

Here at The Ege Eye community newspaper we can give you a fact sheet that explains everything including sample documents. Just google 'The Ege Eye' for the contact details, drop us a line with your specific requirements and a volunteer will help.
The Ege Eye is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ege Eye For This Useful Post:
greensman01 (20th January 2016), IbrahimAbi (19th January 2016), oldfogy (18th January 2016)
Old 18th January 2016, 18:54   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,911 Times in 2,240 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
When in Turkey the whole lot will need to be officially translated and notarised before being accepted.
All this is both a pain and an expense but knowing turkish officialdom it is better to dot the i's and cross the t's to avoid disappointment when you get there.

1) A POA can be written by anyone (including yourself), you/she just need to state EXACTLY what the POA person(you) are entitled to do.
Ideally it should state a date from which it will no longer be valid, if not dated, then once everything is completed go back to the turkish Notary and get it cancelled, again for a small charge. (You do not need to cancel it in the UK unless it is to do anything with in the UK)

2) Take it to a UK notary who will charge about 100 for a simple/basic POA (the more reading the higher the charge)
(Most POA document are written in 'very basic' form, so just keep it simple and straight to the point, do not try being a solicitor with big fancy words')

3) It then needs to be sent of to be Apostilled which is about 36, 'worth paying the Notary the extra few quid and get them to send it off, it's quicker and they should also be responsibility if it gets lost in the post, so no paying for a second one, my solicitor charged me 15 for posting mine.

(The total UK cost of the last one I did was 125.50)

4) When completed and returned, take or send the Apostilled original document to a notary in turkey who for about 10 will give you the necessary document to do whatever you need to do.

Keep it simple and to the point, DO NOT try using fancy words that could be misconstrued, KEEP IT SIMPLE.

A copy of one I have when showed to my solicitor said it could have been written by a 5 year old and looked similar to most of the ones she had had previous dealings with in Spanish matters, it was supplied by a Turkish solicitor and is far too open ended as it almost covered everything from buying and registering a property, but not for selling a property.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
spanabridge (19th January 2016)
Old 18th January 2016, 21:49   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 2,011 Times in 647 Posts
martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute martin m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim.
I can recommend a London firm (solicitors) that you can use who are used to dealing with the Turkish way, please read this thread. Selling property in Turkey via POA - could this help you?
you phone them tell them what you want, they ask how urgent it is, do you want it Fast, or Faster, and the send it to you recorded mail, they were really good, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
regards martin
martin m is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 3,911 Times in 2,240 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin m View Post
Hi Jim.
I can recommend a London firm (solicitors) that you can use who are used to dealing with the Turkish way, please read this thread. Selling property in Turkey via POA - could this help you?
you phone them tell them what you want, they ask how urgent it is, do you want it Fast, or Faster, and the send it to you recorded mail, they were really good, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
regards martin
You will still be required to visit them in person because the solicitor/Notary needs to verify the picture from your passport and countersigns a additional passport sized photo which will be attached to the POA document as being verified and correct and is the person making the application and not someone else pretending to be the person.

'The Turkish way' what's that, verify without checking?
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 23:27   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 10,172 Times in 4,033 Posts
tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute tintagel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin m View Post
Hi Jim.
regards martin
Hi Martin, I appreciate your willingness to recommend a company's services that worked for you personally. However this does not give you carte blanche to recommend them to all & sundry (imo) as there are several of their customers (myself included) who were Not as 'satisfied' with the services they received from this company & many 'clients' of theirs where the 'Jury is still Out'.

You should also (imo) mention that the company you are recommending as 'London solicitors' are in fact Turkish lawyers operating in London, they have (to my knowledge) No legal standing in English Law. They operate as a conduit for Turkish lawyers in Turkey with whom they have 'arrangements' with ie; they are merely an intermediary, a third party operating under Turkish law - Not UK Law.

Sorry to be so blunt, nothing personal per se, just totally sick of all this 'back door' stuff peddled as a UK Company - They are Only 'Based' in UK, they are not (to my knowledge) registered with the English Bar, or operating under UK law.

Happy to be corrected.
Old 19th January 2016, 09:50   #10 (permalink)

The Ege Eye is on a distinguished road

Hi Northernlights

It must be frustrating seeing different opinions about what should be done!

You do not need a lawyer to create a power of attorney whether from London Legal or anyone else. However, sorry to contradict you OldFogy, but the wording of the document MUST be according to the official format required by the relevant authority in Turkey for it to be valid. We have many examples of people showing us incorrectly prepared POA's which have to be re-done.

One of the volunteers at The Ege Eye in Kusadasi can provide you with EXACTLY the right document you need with full individual instructions on how to get it properly legalised. They have been providing this kind of assistance since 2006. The Ege Eye will not charge you for their time. Google The Ege Eye to get their contact details and just let hem know what you need.
The Ege Eye is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
poa