Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 28th March 2020, 02:00   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,268 Posts
bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute
Driving Licence Turkey

As I have had a Turkish licence for many years I find it ideal as acceptable ID in Turkey and some may be surprised it has more use than just driving.

But, the reason for the post is that many in Turkey pop out every six months and get a stamp on their passport but with the borders shut that could prove problematic.

If you go to the Nufus office you can apply for a Turkish Licence quite easily. They will take your UK licence from you and give you a receipt you can use in the meantime.

An unfortunate problem occurs in that when they send it to the UK to be checked, you don't get it returned as they will not post it back to Turkey; meaning you have to then apply for a duplicate licence and having it posted to your UK address (or change to a friends address).

If you need any copies/replacements of your education certificates then you can apply online at:

https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate

If you are too old they send a form saying you have had secondary education I believe.

Remember: Your insurance could be invalid if you drive illegally.

Hopefully other members will be able to update the current situation as I did it about 12 years ago at the Police Station and a lot has changed since then.

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bickern For This Useful Post:
Gary&Ellie (28th March 2020), Harem (29th March 2020), IbrahimAbi (28th March 2020), j in bo (29th March 2020), Tenpin (28th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 04:30   #2 (permalink)

Chris295 is a jewel in the rough Chris295 is a jewel in the rough Chris295 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Driving Licence Turkey

I got my first Turkish driving licence about 10 or 12 tears ago too. I was lucky I think, they didn't send me to the Maliye to pay the 300 or so Lira and they didn't take my UK licence off me either, just wrote down the codes on a form and gave me back the licence.

Recently I got an updated Turkish licence as all licences have to be renewed before the end of next year and that was simple too although health and eyesight checks made it a bit more time consuming.
Chris295 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris295 For This Useful Post:
Gary&Ellie (28th March 2020), IbrahimAbi (28th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 04:46   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 5,304 Times in 1,964 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes those were the days. No long forgotten exam certificates to find, no handing in the UK licence and oh so much simpler - and cheaper
I too exchanged my old Turkish licence for the new style last year and found it very simple and straightforward.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to villabaris1 For This Useful Post:
Gary&Ellie (28th March 2020), Harem (29th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 04:47   #4 (permalink)

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 10,752 Times in 5,145 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

I found the UK.gov site absoluteley useless
I went to secondary school , never got a leaving certificate as our classes were the first to try out new exams, a "Central schools exam certificate"
They told us the results wouldn't be available for 6 weeks and I know very few went back into school to pick them up
The government site doesn't recognise ANY school in the North west , I even tried one which I knew is actually still open and they can't find it
To get a leaving certificate is virtually impossible (even Doc Martin can't) and I can't see any other way round it

I got no such form sent when I tried, my old school got demolished in 1969 and they only kept documents for 7 years, the system didn't recognise any details whatsoever.....I know loads of folks here that are the same
Maybe an amnesty of some sort

The annoying thing is if I show my licence to a Turk, they usually say "Wow, you can drive all these things?" That has happened 3 times as when i got the bike someone joked that my licence didn't cover it (it does, I took a motorbike test as well as later, a car test ) and I won't be going anywhere at the mo as we are over 65

Last edited by ted j; 28th March 2020 at 07:33.. Reason: typo
ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
enoch (28th March 2020), Gary&Ellie (28th March 2020), IbrahimAbi (28th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute bickern has a reputation beyond repute

I need to update my licence to the new one, I take it I just go to Nufus and get a form.

Can I just go to my local doctor for the health check like last time or hospital?

A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 20:30   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 3,477 Times in 2,054 Posts
enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted j View Post
I found the UK.gov site absoluteley useless
I went to secondary school , never got a leaving certificate as our classes were the first to try out new exams, a "Central schools exam certificate"
They told us the results wouldn't be available for 6 weeks and I know very few went back into school to pick them up
The government site doesn't recognise ANY school in the North west , I even tried one which I knew is actually still open and they can't find it
To get a leaving certificate is virtually impossible (even Doc Martin can't) and I can't see any other way round it

I got no such form sent when I tried, my old school got demolished in 1969 and they only kept documents for 7 years, the system didn't recognise any details whatsoever.....I know loads of folks here that are the same
Maybe an amnesty of some sort

The annoying thing is if I show my licence to a Turk, they usually say "Wow, you can drive all these things?" That has happened 3 times as when i got the bike someone joked that my licence didn't cover it (it does, I took a motorbike test as well as later, a car test ) and I won't be going anywhere at the mo as we are over 65
What do we do after 70 when you get a new one every year from the uk?
enoch is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 20:41   #7 (permalink)

ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

It's every 3 years, keep up a UK address and go to a Greek island to stock up on pork products every 6 months

The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
enoch (28th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 20:46   #8 (permalink)

Turkish one stays valid so you don't need to renew it and you can use it in the UK; as far as I am aware that is.

Muhammad Ali
bickern is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2020, 20:48   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 3,477 Times in 2,054 Posts
enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute enoch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickern View Post
Turkish one stays valid so you don't need to renew it and you can use it in the UK; as far as I am aware that is.
Just the same as here 6 months . But you do not need a school report
enoch is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enoch For This Useful Post:
bickern (28th March 2020)
Old 28th March 2020, 20:57   #10 (permalink)

They won't let you change it if you live in a different district, I asked

Tags
driving , licence , turkey