FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Turkish Life Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2013, 08:22   #1 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,391 Times in 4,487 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute
Best way to transfer money to Turkey

That's it in a nutshell
What is the best way to get a large amount of money over to Turkey and be able to put it in a bank when there is no bank account yet opened (I'm thinking banker's draft type thing)

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 11th November 2013, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
20 - 12 - 3

Thanked 20,175 Times in 8,710 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best way to transfer money to Turkey

Why not open the account when you are there and transfer it from your Uk bank online, if opening an account there is your intention

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
ted j (11th November 2013)
Old 11th November 2013, 08:51   #3 (permalink)
Glad I got out

ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

That was plan B Martin
We would be cancelling all our bank accounts except Nationwide , so will bob in there today and ask how I would access the account from abroad (what I mean is so that there are no problems with a biggish amount )
But I just wondered about various ways other people had done it

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 09:12   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
banker's draft type thing
These tend to be negotiable instruments and capable of being presented by anyone .

There should be no problem accessing on line and transferring particularly as you are going into a branch and giving them advance notice of your intentions . I would suggest putting this instruction re future intent in writing and handing over at your meeting.
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinook For This Useful Post:
Old 11th November 2013, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Good Idea Chinook. Will do that

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 09:40   #6 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

I think it may not be possible to transfer money online to a foreign bank ie Uk to Turkey but you should be able to make arrangements for someone to do it on your behalf. Otherwise of course you could put it in my account and I could transfer it to you later.......probably much later!
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LauraB For This Useful Post:
Spurs (11th November 2013), ted j (11th November 2013)
Old 11th November 2013, 10:26   #7 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
I think it may not be possible to transfer money online to a foreign bank ie Uk to Turkey but you should be able to make arrangements for someone to do it on your behalf. Otherwise of course you could put it in my account and I could transfer it to you later.......probably much later!

That is correct................the same applies via phone. Your UK bank will not transfer large amounts to Turkey via a phone call.
How we done it was to take our daughter into our UK bank & in writing gave her permission to do the transfer as & when needed.

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Old 11th November 2013, 10:32   #8 (permalink)

gazza229 is on a distinguished road

Iternational transfer payment, just like when your buying a property from a developer
I think as long as you have the Iban number and account number, it shouldn't be a problem
My bank santander charges 25 per transfer though
gazza229 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:02   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
That is correct................the same applies via phone. Your UK bank will not transfer large amounts to Turkey via a phone call.
How we done it was to take our daughter into our UK bank & in writing gave her permission to do the transfer as & when needed.
I've done it, there were obviously a number of security checks that I had to go through and they did tend to be a little more than the mothers maiden name type questions and I did send a confirmatory E mail. We have even changed the address of the account from UK to Turkey over the telephone and a week later changed it back- it was an expediency to enable replacement cards on the UK account to be sent to us in Turkey.
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:19   #10 (permalink)
Spurs

Thanked 30,614 Times in 13,090 Posts
Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute Spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
I've done it, there were obviously a number of security checks that I had to go through and they did tend to be a little more than the mothers maiden name type questions and I did send a confirmatory E mail. We have even changed the address of the account from UK to Turkey over the telephone and a week later changed it back- it was an expediency to enable replacement cards on the UK account to be sent to us in Turkey.
Could be different banks have different protocols. The problem I saw in Turkey was people having to fly back to the UK unnecessarily just to do a bank transfer. Lets be honest, no bank likes large amounts removed from their coffers into another bank...............I would certainly check on what an individuals bank requires. The other thing is to have a direct line to your bank as opposed to a call centre in India..............they tend to say "computer says NO".

NO STRANGER TO DANGER
Spurs is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
money , transfer , turkey