FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Turkish Life Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2014, 20:55   #1 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,306 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation
Cockroach acceptability?

Is there such a thing as a acceptable Cockroach level?

By that what I mean is it normal and should be accepted to find and have to put up with Cockroaches say in hotel bedrooms or is it that they should not be there.

What freaks me out more than anything is the thought of them running around my bed when I'm in it.

However, one thing I will add is that I have never suffered a cockroach problem in Turkey, ants yes, but never roaches, but recently in Egypt I did which then took a bit of the shine away from the holiday.

So would you put up with them or what would you do or use, or would it be worth while taking some of those cockroach sticky traps and placing them around the room?

German cockroach

Last edited by oldfogy; 27th March 2014 at 21:13.. Reason: smaller picture inserted
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 27th March 2014, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,412 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cockroach acceptability?

Bloody hell Philip! that pic is too big
I wouldn't accept cockroaches at all
They want a particular room . I'm out of there

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:12   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely hate the thıngs! Everytıme the belıdıye came round and put poıson ın the draıns we used to get a few escapees comıng up the pıpes.I have lıttle round floor draıns ın both my bathrooms and the laundry room so ı fıxed the problem by puttıng small round plastıc mesh scourers ın the draın holes as a bung---water goes down -nothıng crawls up!.Got them from the lıra shop.I only had 2 bıg flyıng ones last year and they were easıly bashed wıth the sweepıng brush.I keep my rooms as bare as ı can ın the hot weather and spray around all floor skırtıngs ıncludıng front and back balconys wıth detan and ı also pull the beds away from the walls.Cant stop the odd ones that fly ın and my wındows and french doors are open several months of the year 24-7.Anyhow ı keep all my walls whıte and the tıled floors are lıght too so ı can usually see anythıng movıng straıght away.Theres not many places for anythıng to lurlk ın here and ı have a metal kulp for my kıtchen base unıts to sıt on so no kıck board for anythıng to get behınd.Cant do much else really.
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Just passing through

Ok, but is it acceptable for hotels to have them in the rooms, even if it is only one or two that you see (and kill) every day?
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:31   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 12,550 Times in 4,914 Posts
kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute kibris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post
Ok, but is it acceptable for hotels to have them in the rooms, even if it is only one or two that you see (and kill) every day?
How could they possıbly keep them out?--they fly ın through open wındows usually carryıng loads of eggs to deposıt
kibris is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
CJD

CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of

The only place I have ever seen cockroaches was when I worked in a uk hospital Yuk
Old 27th March 2014, 22:02   #7 (permalink)
Glad I got out

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,412 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfogy View Post

NO, they should have mozzie nets on open windows
In 2014, Cockroaches are not acceptable to me ANYWHERE

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (27th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

The windows were weren't a problem for me although I don't think the windows opened, although the balcony door did, but during the daytime the curtain was always pulled over it whenever I left it open.

Most other people in the hotel also mentioned the roaches, not just myself.

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to book for Morocco and for one of the hotels people on Tripadvisor are talking about roaches in their room.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

we spray everywhere before the warm weather starts and never see any even if one did fly in they die very quickly because of the deterrent we use

they are not acceptable and certainly you shouldn't see them in a hotel if the hotel was treating the premises as they should be doing they would soon die if you are able to see one or two in a room the place must be infested as they usually hide... that's evidence of a large population somewhere

they're filthy insects and contaminate food and kitchen equipment they carry salmonella, staphylococcus streptococcus and other infectious organisms they also cause allergic reactions in many people.
Mavisteve (28th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014, 23:04   #10 (permalink)

niamh has a spectacular aura about niamh has a spectacular aura about niamh has a spectacular aura about

I'd definitely say they are not acceptable in a 'lived in' place. As Shirleyann said, seeing them in a hotelis evidence of an infestation. they don't like noise or light apparently. I'm clearing up a friends villa just now (it's been empty for almost a year) and found 4 roaches plus *shudder* eggs in one if the floor drains. 4 litres of bleach n boiling water later.... I'm assured that some insecticide and the place being lived in will solve this :/
niamh is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
acceptability , cockroach