Turkish Living Forums

Turkish Living Forums (http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/)
-   Turkish Life Forum (http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/turkish-life-forum/)
-   -   Smoking ban? (http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/turkish-life-forum/81469-smoking-ban.html)

Bill & Linda 4th January 2016 12:49

Smoking ban?
 
I have posted this but not in the right place so am reposting. We have just returned from a 5 day break in Marmaris and was amazed at how many people were smoking in the bars and restaurants. At our small hotel the owner was smoking his staff were smoking and some of his guests were smoking in a really small dining room. We walked down to the harbour to a lovely fish restaurant all the signs were up in the room no smoking 98tl fine etc I looked around and the chef was smoking while cooking the food!!.We also came across two other bars where people were smoking. I was talking to a mate here in Altinkum and he said that down on the front there were people smoking in a couple of the bars over the holiday. It would be crying shame (in my opinion) if it went back to how it was, it is now a pleasure to go out for a beer or a meal without stinking of fags when you get home.:painkille

IbrahimAbi 4th January 2016 13:40

Re: Smoking ban?
 
There is a large fine for the proprietor if they are caught and prosecuted.

Kingfisher 4th January 2016 13:44

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IbrahimAbi (Post 1035795)
There is a large fine for the proprietor if they are caught and prosecuted.

Many proprietors prefer to pay the fine rather than lose customers.

Bill & Linda 4th January 2016 16:48

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfisher (Post 1035796)
Many proprietors prefer to pay the fine rather than lose customers.

Well they lost three or four beers, a couple of glasses of wine, and two dinners when we walked out compared to two glasses of tea the smokers were having.

mollag 4th January 2016 17:58

Re: Smoking ban?
 
There seems to be no logic in Turkish business practices, not to us lot anyway.

Kingfisher 4th January 2016 18:08

Re: Smoking ban?
 
The fine is only 2000 TL so it is not much of a deterrent.

Yalides 4th January 2016 18:15

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfisher (Post 1035860)
The fine is only 2000 TL so it is not much of a deterrent.

That is an awful lot of tea to sell.....

Kingfisher 4th January 2016 18:19

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Ah, but the teahouses don't get fines because they vote for the mayor. Only the CHP voters who sell that nasty alcohol get the inspectors.

Yalides 4th January 2016 18:22

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfisher (Post 1035865)
Ah, but the teahouses don't get fines because they vote for the mayor. Only the CHP voters who sell that nasty alcohol get the inspectors.

I understand....

A89 5th January 2016 07:56

Re: Smoking ban?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill & Linda (Post 1035782)
I have posted this but not in the right place so am reposting. We have just returned from a 5 day break in Marmaris and was amazed at how many people were smoking in the bars and restaurants. At our small hotel the owner was smoking his staff were smoking and some of his guests were smoking in a really small dining room. We walked down to the harbour to a lovely fish restaurant all the signs were up in the room no smoking 98tl fine etc I looked around and the chef was smoking while cooking the food!!.We also came across two other bars where people were smoking. I was talking to a mate here in Altinkum and he said that down on the front there were people smoking in a couple of the bars over the holiday. It would be crying shame (in my opinion) if it went back to how it was, it is now a pleasure to go out for a beer or a meal without stinking of fags when you get home.:painkille


Exactly the same in Alanya! Its one of the things I hate most about winter here.
Last winter I was getting my hair done and the shop owner was smoking inside.The Zabita came in and fined him 2000 tl. Afterwards he was going on about he didnt know how he'd pay it etc.
The following month he was still smoking in there. I asked him if he didnt care if the Zabita fined him again he just laughed and said 'bir şey olmaz' which is, in my opinion, THE most ridiculous of all the little statements that Turks make all the time, including my husband. I dont know if he has been fined again since because I stopped going there.
Its the same with all laws here, they bring it in, go around fining people, for about a month, after that they dont bother for a while just every few months they patrol looking for that one particular thing and fining people then the next day they are out looking for people with no crash hats, it seems to me they are unable to enforce more than one law at a time.


alison


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
TurkishLiving.com


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155