FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Turkish Life Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2016, 12:25   #11 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of
Re: New traffic laws in Turkey,

Well that rule will apply to 99.99% of Turkish drivers, they will have to put the sheep in a trolley and pull it alongside the moped in future, only hope they put the umbrella over the sheep and not over themselves when its raining.

Sue

A Dog Is For Life Not Just For Christmas
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to paddington bear For This Useful Post:
Akasya (11th October 2016), enoch (11th October 2016), evo80 (11th October 2016), TNT123 (11th October 2016)
Old 11th October 2016, 16:47   #12 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of

Late afternoon today I took the dogs down to the beach and this is what I encountered on a journey which takes me about 6 minutes.

I had been driving for about 1 minute when a turkish lady on a push bike comes out of a side road without looking, brakes and horn applied, her? completely oblivious that there was anyone else on the road beside herself. Proceed to roundabout and joy of joys there is a scooter going wrong way round said roundabout. Drive down to the next roundabout, about 400 yards and drop speed as I know what will happen here. Of course it did, 2 cars completely ignore the dur sign, which, as everyone knows, is for decoration purposes only and come straight out of the road end. Again brakes and horn applied as I didn't want my front end in their door. The second car even had the cheek to say thank you !!!! Driving down the dual carriageway encounter motor bike coming towards me as, of course, its easier to go onto the opposite side of the road through the gap than go to the roundabout. Rest of the journey uneventful.

Coming home, not too bad, only encountered one push bike on the wrong side of the road and one scooter on the pavement. It was getting dusk so bare minimum of the optional extras of headlights and indicators.

Sue

A Dog Is For Life Not Just For Christmas
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to paddington bear For This Useful Post:
evo80 (11th October 2016), IbrahimAbi (12th October 2016), Lady of Leisure (12th October 2016), TNT123 (11th October 2016)
Old 11th October 2016, 17:31   #13 (permalink)

Thanked 4,634 Times in 1,710 Posts
villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute villabaris1 has a reputation beyond repute

The fines might as well be set at 500,000TL plus lifetime bans as until the polis and authorities start enforcing the laws it is totally irrelevant.

A total lack of enforcement simply fuels the increasing anarchy attitude and is the reason we still see 10-year-olds driving motorbikes past police and jandarma stations, 90% of motorcyclists without helmets (or driving with them on their arms), and police checkpoints being set up immediately before road turn-offs so that the guilty can avoid them.
villabaris1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to villabaris1 For This Useful Post:
REDDERS (11th October 2016), TNT123 (11th October 2016)
Old 11th October 2016, 17:45   #14 (permalink)

Thanked 3,068 Times in 1,075 Posts
WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute WIDDRINGTON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabaris1 View Post
The fines might as well be set at 500,000TL plus lifetime bans as until the polis and authorities start enforcing the laws it is totally irrelevant.

A total lack of enforcement simply fuels the increasing anarchy attitude and is the reason we still see 10-year-olds driving motorbikes past police and jandarma stations, 90% of motorcyclists without helmets (or driving with them on their arms), and police checkpoints being set up immediately before road turn-offs so that the guilty can avoid them.
Absolutely spot on Villabaris. To reinforce what you say - I was speaking to an Italian guy in Didim who runs a business selling motorbikes and scooters etc. He was waxing lyrical about what a good place Southern Italy was to live so I asked him as to why he was operating out of Turkey. His answer was quick - " in Europe there are too many laws, too much regulation and plenty of law enforcement - in Turkey there are also too many laws but little or no enforcement and little or no regulation ( re the law and motor cyclists).Says it all really.
WIDDRINGTON is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 18:51   #15 (permalink)
Alias ....The Scar

Simon Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 8,764 Times in 4,177 Posts
ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute ted j has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday we went to see friends up a long dual carriageway.ll was fine until the journey home where a dipstick on a motorbike overtook me and swerved right in front of me .He honestly missed me by less than 8 inches
Then we got behind a van who had a left indicator on and who went straight across a crossroads
The level of driving here is non existent . The day to day things we see are
Never using indicators (that seems to be the most common)
Pulling off without realising there may be someone trying to overtake them
Triple parking
Cutting in front of me , only to then turn right without indication (or in the case of dolmus drivers, overtaking then immediateley pulling into a dolmus stop then overtaking again and repeating this for a good mile
Giving about 1/10th of a second after green lights up before parping their bloody horn to set off
Whizzing across a junction on red because they think they are superman and a brilliant driver

ted j is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ted j For This Useful Post:
evo80 (12th October 2016), TNT123 (11th October 2016)
Old 11th October 2016, 19:01   #16 (permalink)

Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,606 Posts
evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute

No way will my wife drive here in Turkey ,no sireeee
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:12   #17 (permalink)
________

Thanked 9,600 Times in 4,627 Posts
kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute kemerkid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of course but I am sure the police or whoever have set this fine so high that it will make a few of them stop and think. If only one person in every town and village is hit with this kind of fine word will spread like wildfire. I have had drivers cut me up from the inside with the police behind me, they never even flinched.

It worked in Britain with drink driving and you could see that with the fall off of cars parked in their car parks or even staying away. Things have moved a long way here in Turkey and It is a very steep learning curve for them all.

I asked my wifes cousin once why people ignore traffic lights here, his answer was that a good many drivers were on the road before traffic lights arrived and don't consider that they apply to them. Couple that with their culture and it is not hard to see why their mindset is that way. I have to travel round a few blind bends to get to my house, I learned long ago that I have to keep hard over to the right and slow almost to a stand still. Large fines just might be the answer in the end.
kemerkid is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 19:26   #18 (permalink)

Thanked 1,153 Times in 626 Posts
the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of

Yes guys I heard the Government were out to punish bad drivers......as a male driver I would like to register my objections to the Turkish Government taking this sexist approach....LOL
the bueman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 22:26   #19 (permalink)

Tenpin will become famous soon enough Tenpin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemerkid View Post
Drive like a lunatic then !
Thanks.......i will !!
Old 12th October 2016, 09:36   #20 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 4,569 Times in 2,123 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

There have been huge advances since we came here. I would never have believed that you could get Turks to stop smoking in buildings, or to wear seatbelts. power to their elbow. As other TLFlers have said enforcement is the key.

Tags
laws , traffic , turkey