Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th August 2018, 23:00   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,224 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute
Turkey & the EU

So as not to break up the thread on Brexit of all the members on here that holiday,own property, sold up etc. Under the current climate how many wish for Turkey to be part of the EU?
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th August 2018, 23:26   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,515 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkey & the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
So as not to break up the thread on Brexit of all the members on here that holiday,own property, sold up etc. Under the current climate how many wish for Turkey to be part of the EU?
Turkey will have to wait, Africa is more near the front of the queue on that score :-)

Could be like the Balkans if Turkey does get into the EU (a) mass exodus of land workers (b) strong representation in the EUs Parliament.

The latter must be a worry to the EU institutions. re the number of MEPs Turkey would have.
Jury is still out with me on whether or not it will EVER become a member but I don't think I will live to see it.
One things for sure, a decision like that will not be made by the EU Commissionaires, thats a unanimous member state decision.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2018, 23:35   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,770 Times in 2,878 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably be good for Turkey, but it will never happen; when I came to live here it was described as imminent, but that can has been kicked down the road so far it now seems impossible.
Austria is dead set against it - seemingly over some 400 year old war, and many others are sceptical.
I donīt get the impression that RTE is much interested in the changes that EU demands, and thinks he is being humiliated by the hoops he is required to jump through. From the few Turks I discuss it with nowadays I donīt get much enthusiasm or expectation, unlike how the subject was treated 15 years ago. States that have applied after Turkey are having the door opened wide, while it is slammed in the face of Turkey.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
A89 (6th August 2018), sgreat (6th August 2018)
Old 6th August 2018, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
The Carnwath Massive

Thanked 20,590 Times in 8,886 Posts
yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute yalimart has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of Turks I have known over 30 years have no interest in joining the EU or any other union.
On the other hand Boris with his Turkish ancestry thinks its a great idea.

Martin

3 Trophies in 10 days
yalimart is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalimart For This Useful Post:
SLEEPY (6th August 2018)
Old 6th August 2018, 08:05   #5 (permalink)
shash

shash is a name known to all shash is a name known to all shash is a name known to all shash is a name known to all shash is a name known to all shash is a name known to all

Turkey is a signatory member and has been for a long time. But whether they become fully paid up members I dont know. Many changes are being made all over Turkey, they are cutting huge swathes of forest all over the country and building concrete homes and businesses much to the horror of many Turks who are very unhappy to see their green and pleasant lands diminish. Life is not the same for many people. However the country is so huge we barely notice it. The middle aged and older ones don't like these changes but are almost powerless to stop it happening. The young ones are busy having young lives and families to notice it all. I can only assume this is the progress and modernisation that Erdoğan wants for the future of his country and people. How they will ever get up to EU standards I have not a clue because it's easier to bring in all the rules in towns but mountain villages would be impossible. For example I saw a sign saying wheel chair access and it was a 3ft drop. That said it all. Like someone else said i don't think it'll be in my lifetime.
shash is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 08:19   #6 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,535 Times in 12,841 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Juco , i dont think that the " door is slammed in the face of Turkey " is fair , certain conditions were set , and undertakings were given to meet these in a reasonable time frame .

Turkey deliberately turned away from those commitments , then went further and criticised the EU states for their understandable expectations and further disappointment , of course the hundreds of millions given to Turkey will never be repaid , so Artee has had the last laugh .

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 08:24   #7 (permalink)

cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold cside is a splendid one to behold

Extremely unlikely to happen whilst the current regime is in power in Turkey. When eventually this changes, who knows what could happen.
cside is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 08:37   #8 (permalink)

Chasey is a name known to all Chasey is a name known to all Chasey is a name known to all Chasey is a name known to all Chasey is a name known to all Chasey is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasya View Post
Juco , i dont think that the " door is slammed in the face of Turkey " is fair , certain conditions were set , and undertakings were given to meet these in a reasonable time frame .

Turkey deliberately turned away from those commitments , then went further and criticised the EU states for their understandable expectations and further disappointment , of course the hundreds of millions given to Turkey will never be repaid , so Artee has had the last laugh .

Steve

Exactly

There was a big push in 2008 to get Turkey into the EU and the underlining issue was we wanted a soft Muslim country as a member to what was otherwise a Christian society. It was a classic hearts and minds exercise hoped this would make Muslims around the EU feel more included and reduce tensions.

The fact Turkey was a self sufficient / wealthy country was a bonus.

I think there was government movement in Turkey to become full members but lets not forget they were signed up to become full members in 1987. Strangely the people were against it. (far removed from the bulls#it posted in the UK about millions of Turks wanting to flood England) I say strangely as id have thought the human rights benefits of being members would be very popular?

Since the coup and the political purge of 10% of the population not to mention the seizing by the government of over 1000 business netting them something like 70 billion in revenue, I see absolutely no possibility for Turkey to join the EU in the foreseeable future due to such a massive human rights violation.

It baffles me that there are so many Brexit supporters on this forum. You'd have thought we would all want Turkey in the EU so we could benefit from free movement, freedom to work if we choose, tax free imports and free health cover????
Chasey is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 10:06   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,515 Posts
35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute 35pluschips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
Exactly

There was a big push in 2008 to get Turkey into the EU and the underlining issue was we wanted a soft Muslim country as a member to what was otherwise a Christian society. It was a classic hearts and minds exercise hoped this would make Muslims around the EU feel more included and reduce tensions.

The fact Turkey was a self sufficient / wealthy country was a bonus.

I think there was government movement in Turkey to become full members but lets not forget they were signed up to become full members in 1987. Strangely the people were against it. (far removed from the bulls#it posted in the UK about millions of Turks wanting to flood England) I say strangely as id have thought the human rights benefits of being members would be very popular?

Since the coup and the political purge of 10% of the population not to mention the seizing by the government of over 1000 business netting them something like 70 billion in revenue, I see absolutely no possibility for Turkey to join the EU in the foreseeable future due to such a massive human rights violation.

It baffles me that there are so many Brexit supporters on this forum. You'd have thought we would all want Turkey in the EU so we could benefit from free movement, freedom to work if we choose, tax free imports and free health cover????
I don't know if thats a WOW statement or what but I've never heard of it. That has moved the EU from a trading bloc, jumping past its political ambitions, straight into an issue of religion & beliefs.
35pluschips is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 10:15   #10 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 28,535 Times in 12,841 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it is so in the allegedly secular state that is supposed to be Turkey . That religion has superseded the Political establishment .

Steve
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey