FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > The Turkish Living Times

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2012, 12:35   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
list of crimes verdicts and sentences

heres a round-up of recent criminal court decisions..no name and shame..most of those involved just go by initials (sorry there are no emlaks in the list)

İ like the courts decision not to send a woman to prison for killing her husband after he beat her for looking at a pic of a naked man ..i think this is the only sensible verdict on the list

this is pasted from an article in Bianet about violence against women which is on the increase and the courts are not really dealing with it
*Court Verdicts

The Second Court for Serious Crimes in the southern province of Adana released K.A., 23, and M.A., 21, while it sentenced N.C., 31, to a total of 14 years for sexual assault and forcing into prostitution after they were put on trial for raping 23 year old baby sitter F.. two years ago.

*Law enforcement officials caught D.K., 23, N.C., 31, A.A., 25 and C.A., 22, after they raped A.P., 23, in the southern province of Adana. The court released D.K., but the prosecution requested 28 years in prison for the remaining three suspects.

*An Adana court released G.K. after she killed her husband who beat her on the grounds she had looked at a naked man in a film. The prosecution had requested 24 years behind bars for G.K., but the court ruled that her act was within the limits of self-defense.

*The Second Court for Serious Crimes in the southern province of Alanya sentenced H.Y. to 15 years in prison on the charge of "sexually abusing a minor," after he raped H.K., 12. He was then sent off to the Alanya L-Type Closed and Open Penal Institution.

*The Second Court for Serious Crimes in Alanya sentenced R.C., 17 to a total of 12 years and 11 months in prison on the charges of "depriving someone of their freedom," "sexual assault" and "qualified robbery," after he followed E.C., 29, a businesswoman, while she was on her way back from work, threatened her with a broken glass bottle, sexually assaulted and robbed her.

*The Sixth Court for Serious Crimes in Ankara acquitted folk singer İzzet Yıldızhan after he was charged with "attempted sexual assault" and "intentional injury."

"The First Court for Serious Crimes in the southern province of Antalya arrest Ş.A., who had earlier been released pending trial, on the charges of "chain sexual assaults and depriving someone of their freedom." Ş.A. allegedly raped and impregnated N.T., 20.

*An Antalya court acquitted F.S.G., who was charged with sexually harassing 16 year old A.Ş. and getting her to steal valuables from her father's safe. The court acquitted F.S.G. after he presented his conversations with her on Facebook. Father M.F.Ş. had filed the complaint against him.

*B.K. filed a complaint against İ.S. who followed her while she was on her way back home and handed her a piece of paper telling her to call his number in the Black Sea province of Bartın. The court ruled to acquit İ.S. in the ensuing suit on the grounds he had not acted with the intention to sexually harass her. The Supreme Court of Appeals later overturned the verdict, however, and decided to put İ.S. on trial on the grounds that İ.S. was not acquainted with B.K. and cited witness reports, the paper with the phone number on it and the suspect's conduct.

*S.S., 38, locked herself into her home in the northwestern province of Bursa fearing that her husband, R.S., 49, would subject her to violence. She then called the gendarmerie who found out that R.S. was under the influence of alcohol and carried a kitchen knife. S.S. also said her husband threatened to kill her, and the gendarmerie consequently issued restraining orders for R.S. for six months. The Orhangazi Criminal Court of First Instance then ratified the restraining order. The gendarmerie thus made an exemplary decision by utilizing its authority deriving from the 6287th Law on the Protection of the Family and the Prevention of Violence Toward Women.

*The Third Court for Serious Crimes in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır sentenced Y.Y, H.Y. and M.S. to aggravated life imprisonment on the charge of "premeditated and voluntary manslaughter through the motive of honor killing." The three convicts had killed Behiye Yıldız and M.Z.K. through a joint family decision on the grounds that Yıldız had cheated on her husband Y.Y. with M.Z.K.

The court also sentenced Y.Y. to one year and three months for "being in possession of an unlicensed weapon" and H.Y. to another five years in prison for "being in possession of an unlicensed long-barreled weapon and a forbidden knife."

*H.Ş. was on trial in Diyarbakır for murdering his wife C.Ş. because she had cheated on her. The prosecution demanded life imprisonment for the suspect, but the Diyarbakır First Court of Serious Crimes reduced his sentence to 24 years on the grounds that "the suspect had committed the crime in consequence of an unjustified incitement."

*A man in Istanbul killed his wife Ayşe İnce by stabbing her 17 times. The couple already had a divorce suit underway, while Ayşe İnce had earlier filed a complaint against her husband for battering and threatening her, but the prosecutor's office had released the man after taking him under custody. The Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) is set to launch a probe against the prosecutors who ordered his release.

*The skdar Third Family Court in Istanbul issued restraining orders for E.. for six months, the seizure of any licensed weapons he might have in possession and the imposition of jail terms if he violates the verdict. E.. was on trial for subjecting his wife S.. to violence. The court also ordered a protection order for S.. and her aunt N.H.

*A criminal court in the Aegean province of İzmir ruled for lack of jurisdiction in the case of Fevziye Cengiz who was detained and beaten by police officers at the Karabağlar Police Station, while Cengiz's lawyers also argued that the act in question constituted a crime of torture and thus had to be taken over by a criminal court for serious crimes. News and footages of the officers beating Cengiz had also surfaced in the media, leading to an outrcy.

The justice, however, sent the case to a Criminal Court of First Instance on the grounds the case involved threatening. The İzmri 12th Criminal Court of First Instance then sent the case to a criminal court for serious crimes, arguing that the police officers had to be tried on charges of torture.

*R.K., 37, shot dead his wife D.K., 37, and his father-in-law M.Y., 61, with a pistol in the central province of Konya. D.K. had gone back to her father's home after R.K. brought in a second wife. The Konya First Court for Serious Crimes then sentenced the suspect to life imprisonment for murdering his wife and 25 years in prison for killing his father-in-law. The suspect was also sentenced to an additional 10 months of imprisonment for being in possession of an unlicensed pistol.

*The First Court for Serious Crimes in the Black Sea province of Samsun acquitted .O., 29, of charges of rape against H.A., 29, despite the prosecution's demand for 15 years of imprisonment. The court argued that H.A. had voluntarily had sexual intercourse with the suspect, that forensic reports showed no signs of battery or coercion and that she did not cry for help during the incident.

*The Samsun First Court for Serious Crimes sentenced S.., 20, to 17 years three months and 15 days of imprisonment on charges of rape against L.K., 14, arguing that the incident had damaged her mental health.

*The prosecution in the Samsun First Court for Serious Crimes demanded up to 45 years of imprisonment for İ.., 26, on charges of sexual abuse against his cousins İ.A., 8, M.A., 11, and K.A., 13, on the grounds that the suspect had damaged the victims' mental health. The court adjourned the trial.

*The Samsun First Court for Serious Crimes acquitted F.E., 32, of charges of sexual abuse due to lack of evidence but sentenced him to five months of imprisonment for "depriving someone of their freedom." F.E. was on trial for allegedly raping .., 14, but he was finally released on a bail in the amount of 3,000 Turkish Liras.

*The Samsun Second Court of Serious Crimes sentenced T.B., 34, to 10 years of imprisonment on charges of sexual assault after he harassed his sister-in-law S.D., 39, when she had come to paint his house.

*A court in Samsun dropped the charges against S.K., 35, who had raped G.S., 17, on the grounds that the litigant party's grace period for filing a complaint had expired. S.K. was consequently sentenced to 1.5 years in prison for violating private property and to pay a fine in the amount of 2,400 Turkish Liras for beating her father and sibling.

*A court in Samsun dropped the charges against O.Z. and A.A. who raped and impregnated their niece on the grounds the victim chose not to file a complaint. The two suspects were then sentenced to one year and eight months in prison for threatening the minor.

*A court in the southeastern province of Siirt sentenced F.K., 64, a deputy principal at a primary school, ten suspects arrested pending trial and nine others below the age of 15 released pending trial to a variety of sentences for sexually abusing seven female students. The Siirt Court for Serious Crimes .Z. and M.A.Y. to six years 11 months and 10 days; A.K. and K.B. to four years and two months; A.T. and İ. to two years seven months and seven days; M.H.Y. to six years and three months; Y.K. to 10 years and five months; H.. to five years two months and 15 days; and M.A. to four years and two months of imprisonment. The case of deputy principal F.K. was adjourned for May 30, 2012 in a separate file.

*Eight suspects between the ages of 26 and 80 and M.D., 41, who faced charges for raping his two daughters and forcing them into prostitution in the central province of Tokat received varying sentences. The Zile Court for Serious Crimes sentenced father M.D. to 18 years of imprisonment; R.G. and M.B. to eight years; Ş.Y. to two years and six months; and M.K., O.E. and G.E. to two years behind bars.

*A woman whose identity was undisclosed applied to the prosecutor's office on the grounds that her husband had subjected her to violence due to jealousy. She said she had filed a divorce suit, but that her husband still continued subjecting her to violence. Her husband, a judge, then issued an order for wiretapping her phones, according to the woman.

As no direct investigation can be launched against judges and prosecutors, the prosecutor's office appealed to the HSYK which consequently examined the claims of violence and wiretapping and issued a permit for an investigation. (T)
Harem (1st July 2012), teosgirl (30th June 2012), tintagel (1st July 2012)
Old 30th June 2012, 14:12   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,234 Posts
teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute teosgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: list of crimes verdicts and sentences

Not only a rise in violence against women, but also a rise in the number of students being held in prison, and given jail terms (11 years for damage to property - convicted of 'being part of an illegal organisation') These sentences are handed down by the specially-authorised courts which are supposed to deal with serious organised crime.

RIGHTS - Number of arrested students ‘on the rise’ in Turkey

Prepared by academics from different universities, the report underlines that the majority of the students are charged with “propagandizing for an illegal organization,” although most of the arrested students are not members of any illegal organizations.

“None of the students have exerted violence against anyone. Most of them are not members of any illegal organization, although they are charged with making propaganda for them. The issues they are charged with are asking for free education or education in Kurdish. According to a decision by the Supreme Court in 2008, one can be charged with making illegal propaganda for participating a protest held by an organization,” Mehmet Karlı, an academic from Istanbul’s Galatasaray University, said. Even following the court cases of arrested students or attending press conferences regarding their arrests can be considered membership in a terrorist organization, Karlı said. “As a first step, the specially authorized courts should be changed.”

And a round up of related news from Turkey...

EFD Rights Watch: Number of arrested students rise, KCK operations and more… Erkan's Field Diary

Charlotte
teosgirl is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 14:49   #3 (permalink)

yasemin3 is a name known to all yasemin3 is a name known to all yasemin3 is a name known to all yasemin3 is a name known to all yasemin3 is a name known to all yasemin3 is a name known to all

Yes, many people emigrate to Turkey because of the good family values.
yasemin3 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yasemin3 For This Useful Post:
civciv (30th June 2012), tintagel (1st July 2012)
Old 30th June 2012, 15:15   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasemin3 View Post
Yes, many people emigrate to Turkey because of the good family values.
its a joke
Old 30th June 2012, 15:26   #5 (permalink)

djmagic has a spectacular aura about djmagic has a spectacular aura about

As no direct investigation can be launched against judges and prosecutors... sounds about right
lol
djmagic is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djmagic For This Useful Post:
tintagel (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 00:01   #6 (permalink)

civciv will become famous soon enough civciv will become famous soon enough

A country run by men for men the majority of the time.

Turkish women have to keep fighting for their rights and raising awareness of women's issues.
civciv is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to civciv For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (1st July 2012), teosgirl (1st July 2012), tintagel (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 06:48   #7 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 32,970 Times in 15,415 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

Women worldwide must be proud that they will and always have fought for emancipation and equality.

The good fight cannot be won without the support of education. Girls get your daughters into school , make your Government push womens education to the limit.

In the UK we are at last seeing the fruits of such a policy. May it come Turkey's way soon.

Steve.
Akasya is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasya For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (1st July 2012), shirleyanntr (1st July 2012), teosgirl (1st July 2012), tintagel (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 11:22   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P

unfortunately a lot of women wont help themselves. heres a little story as an example this is just the bare bones of this family's dynamics

last year i had a mother and daughter staying with me a few days.ive known them many years since she was widowed and left with three children 14 12 and 8

she is forever and ever telling me what a hard time she had and how she had to scrat a living through making 'dante' lace as she had no education..she was the youngest of 4 brothers and a sister and had been the skivvy in the family . she said nobody in the family helped her although i know she was living rent free in her fathers old cottage.he has pegged out now and with his miras the place went to one of the brothers ..who wanted rent

Her two sons are now glaziers in antalya and she has moved there and lives in a modern apartment with the youngest son..the oldest has now married
last year when staying with me the daughter started complaining 'god willing i will find a good husband who will let me get my school certificate and i can get a job' was how the conversation went. İ said there are plenty of places in Antalya where you can have lessons...she agreed then said but abi wont let me go. so i have to find a husband who will be good and pay for me etc etc

İ knew she hadnt been to school after around the age of 11..she was always spoilt had tantrums and hated school.

Anyway i was cross with her mother and reminded her of her hard time relying on relatives because she couldnt work can barely read and all the more reason that her daughter should be independent
she just shrugged ..Ahmet wont give permission ...was all she said.

the latest is that the girl who is now 22 has found a man a month ago and got engaged so im waiting with bated breath to see if she will get her masters degree

the other son has also married and moved into a different apartment as his wife and mother cant agree aboutanything..strangely his wife is educated with a good job and is also doing extra lessons in accountancy and he thinks this is wonderful

..both daughters in law are firmly in charge .and i can see trouble ahead for this woman who although she now gets a government pension its not enough to keep her.

İ'm so sorry for the subservient way that Turkish women allow themselves to be treated ..wee our mothers and grandmothers ever like this?
Akasya (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 11:26   #9 (permalink)
I've cliqued

Thanked 4,189 Times in 2,016 Posts
Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute Harem has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can't speak for others, Shirley, but I know my mother and grandmother weren't in any way subservient. My grandmother didn't go out of the house to work to earn a living, but my mother did. My parents were equals in making decisions, etc., but I bet my grandmother ruled the roost in her house!!!
shirleyanntr (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 12:00   #10 (permalink)
R.I.P

yes i can say that for all the women in my family too...my mother would have been a hundred last week..she was one of 10 children ... 6 sisters and all ruled the roost.
my mother always said a home was happiest where the woman was in control..she was a quiet woman and my father was no doormat but still he respected her.

its up to Turkish women to change things..if they want to

Tags
crimes , list , sentences , verdicts