Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  Classified Ads
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 12th August 2017, 09:12   #1 (permalink)

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,730 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Bull fighting in Turkey

Even though the bulls horns are blunted and don't fight to the death, I still think it's barbaric. Surely a 900 Kg bull can inflict damage?

Traditional bullfighting, which has been ongoing for 200 years in the eastern Black Sea province of Artvin, will be held for the first time nationally under name “Turkey’s Bullfighting Championship” on Aug. 13.

Some 44 bulls from the Aegean provinces of Aydın and Muğla, as well as the eastern province of Erzurum, will participate in the competition after ranking first and second in regional bull fighting categories.

The national bullfighting competition, organized by the Bull Breeders Sports Club, will feature five different categories and will be held in Artvin’s Kafkasör plateau.

The weight of the bulls that will participate range between 430 kilograms and 900 kilograms.

Winning bull breeders will share total prize money of 100,000 Turkish Liras, while a number of special events and concerts will be held as part of the event.

“The bulls that participate in bullfighting should be fighter bulls. These bulls are fed with a special diet and trained for fighting. Their physical characteristics, especially their horns, are very important but at the end of the day the most well-groomed bull always wins the fight,” said competition organizer Murat Gülseçgin.

“Animals are made to fight to the death in countries like Spain, China and India. But we do not do that. We blunt horns of the bulls before they step into the arena. Our only purpose is to revive this tradition,” he added.

Gülseçgin said they expect the number of participants to rise to at least 50,000 in future years.

“We would like to draw attention to Turkey with this competition. People from all over the world visit Spain just for bullfighting. We would also like to be visited by fans of bullfighting,” he said.

August/11/2017

Bullfighting to be held for first time nationally in Turkey - LOCAL
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzyq For This Useful Post:
Akasya (12th August 2017), enoch (12th August 2017)
Old 12th August 2017, 09:18   #2 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 5,071 Times in 2,346 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bull fighting in Turkey

Disgusting what they will do in the name of tourism. The heroes even have to have the horns blunted.
Old 12th August 2017, 09:20   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 18,940 Times in 9,407 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute

I find bull sports disgusting

However as I am a guest in a country where ( parts of it-not all) have aspects of this as their tradition it's not my place to object just to avoid

I further would be somewhat of a hypocrite in that as a fervent meat eater the antics at abattoirs are every bit as cruel as in a bull ring

Henrik er min hjelte.

Last edited by saoirse; 12th August 2017 at 09:22..
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saoirse For This Useful Post:
Akasya (12th August 2017), mollag (12th August 2017)
Old 12th August 2017, 18:08   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 3,859 Times in 1,577 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what is called a 'bull push'?
We went to one in Datca a few years ago. The aim is to see which bull is the strongest by pushing an opponent within the same weight group. There was no blood or violence, simply a struggle to push the opponent out of a ring.
Lots of betting and money changing hands, and in one bout the bulls ended up alongside a car with 2 watching passengers. The wing mirrors were knocked off and the car rocked violently until the bulls' owners went and brought them back to the ring.
Not my idea of a perfect afternoon's entertainment but interesting to see the care for the animals, and I was surprised how mild the bulls were. None was injured, and all seemed happy to be handled.
Personally I dont like to see animals used for human entertainment.
Worst aspect of it all was the litter strewn everywhere afterwards, water bottles were lying in the field for days.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
A89 (13th August 2017), Akasya (12th August 2017), bal canavar (13th August 2017), mollag (13th August 2017), shash (12th August 2017), suzyq (12th August 2017)
Old 12th August 2017, 19:16   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,730 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that post Kanga, it made me feel better knowing that the bulls weren't harmed.
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzyq For This Useful Post:
Kanga (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 17:55   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 3,859 Times in 1,577 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

My pleasure suzyq.

I looked at the article today and this quoted comment is totally wrong.

'
“Animals are made to fight to the death in countries like Spain, China and India. But we do not do that. We blunt horns of the bulls before they step into the arena. Our only purpose is to revive this tradition,” he added.'

In Spain they have matadors, picadors, and toreadors, all hitmen for Fray Bentos. They certainly dont allow expensive beasts to fight to the death; that is from the Roman circuses.
Can't speak for China but as the cow is sacred in India I find it hard to believe. There have been religious riots for less where cows are involved!
We still get illegal dog fighting and cock fighting among some ethnic minorities and general knuckle dragging hambones in the UK, mainly for illegal gambling, and the police do a good job prosecuting.
There is still an area in my home town called Fighting Cocks, and the the word cockpit is still in daily use when discussing war. St Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life has a complete example of a cockpit rebuilt in the grounds, a circular building with a thatched roof and tiers of steps to sit on, along with many other types of buildings from all over Wales such as schools, chapels, a corn mill, farmhouses, pigsties. It's a fascinating place and well worth a visit.
I also remember dancing bears from years ago in Turkey. Let's hope that we are becoming more humane and caring of the animals.
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (13th August 2017), Jaycey (13th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017, 18:59   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 12,802 Times in 5,134 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a supporter of bullfighting but like Philip, I dont feel it is my place to lecture folks on their habits in foreign lands.
I have watched the Turkish bull fighting on you tube to form an opinion, it is the same as Camel wrestling with shorter necks, no doubt the bulls are hyped up with a cow in season prior to the match to get the hormones coursing. They go at the pushing, sometimes reluctantly, then it is just like a reverse tug of war. As soon as one has had enough, it turns away and everything is over, less brutal that our boxing matches imho.

From a heritage point of view, these events have an unbroken linkage to Roman times, even earlier, should they be scrapped for our long distance sensitivities ?
I think not, should those involved choose to cease, then good one em, it's their history, not mine.
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Postless Pointer

Thanked 25,097 Times in 10,758 Posts
Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute Akasya has a reputation beyond repute

should we stand by as dogs are mistreated , and cats maimed merely because it is a cultural difference in the treatment of said ?

I agree it is different but sincerely held beliefs , lawfully presented ?

Then there are those who claim " don't come here and tell me my laws must change to accommodate your religious tribalism "

Difficult

Steve
Akasya is online now send PM Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 21:06   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 12,802 Times in 5,134 Posts
mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute mollag has a reputation beyond repute

Should we allow folk in foreign lands dictate our behaviour?
mollag is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 09:46   #10 (permalink)
Am I pretty ?

Thanked 32,176 Times in 15,946 Posts
Yalides has disabled reputation

I think Morris dancing as practiced here in the south of England should definitely be banned. Violent strikes with clubs whilst prancing around each other provocatively, jangling bells and waving hankies. Has lead to many a broken finger and beer spilling in the past. Only a matter of time before a pub window gets broke. Disgraceful behaviour.
mollag (14th August 2017), tintagel (14th August 2017)

Tags
bull , fighting , turkey