FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > The Turkish Living Times

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2018, 11:10   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,798 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Amazon starts operations in Turkey

Amazon.com Inc. said Wednesday it had launched activities in Turkey, offering products across 15 categories to customers across the country.

"We are committed to building our business in Turkey in the coming months by expanding our selection and delivery options," Sam Nicols, country manager for Amazon.com.tr said in a written statement.

Amazon will run its activities in Turkey on www.amazon.com.tr.

In August 2016, it was reported that the U.S.-based e-commerce giant would enter the Turkish market and establish an office in Istanbul.

The controlling shareholder of the company is the Luxembourg-based Amazon Europe Core S.à r.l., which means the office will be dependent on its European affiliate.

https://www.dailysabah.com/technolog...ions-in-turkey
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suzyq For This Useful Post:
bickern (19th September 2018), davem (19th September 2018), edy (19th September 2018), IbrahimAbi (19th September 2018), immac (19th September 2018), villabaris1 (19th September 2018)
Old 19th September 2018, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Thanked 7,999 Times in 2,997 Posts
immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon starts operations in Turkey

I hope it soon starts to look like Amazon USA or UK, otherwise it is just like all the other Turkish shopping sites. Most of my purchases are on the USA site, which is significantly better than all the others; UK sellers are very reluctant to export, even to EU countries; German site is OK, and willing to export to Turkey, but it is in German - can you believe that!
British goods, sold on Amazon USA, are usually cheaper than they are in UK, even with shipping, because of the competition. And shipping is often cheaper from USA than it is from UK.

Ian
immac is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
IbrahimAbi (19th September 2018), j in bo (20th September 2018), LauraB (20th September 2018), Maisie (20th September 2018)
Old 19th September 2018, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
Living in Paradise!

SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold SonnyJim is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by immac View Post
I hope it soon starts to look like Amazon USA or UK, otherwise it is just like all the other Turkish shopping sites. Most of my purchases are on the USA site, which is significantly better than all the others; UK sellers are very reluctant to export, even to EU countries; German site is OK, and willing to export to Turkey, but it is in German - can you believe that!
British goods, sold on Amazon USA, are usually cheaper than they are in UK, even with shipping, because of the competition. And shipping is often cheaper from USA than it is from UK.

Ian
Are you having items delivered to Turkey? If so how are you getting on with the tax implications?!
SonnyJim is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 23:30   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 565 Posts
Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of Hunt 23 has much to be proud of

Can it be changed to English.
Hunt 23 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 03:12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute immac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJim View Post
Are you having items delivered to Turkey? If so how are you getting on with the tax implications?!
Everything is delivered to Turkey. If their are any restricted items, that can not be sent to Turkey, they will not allow the item into the checkout.

US Amazon shipping is a dream. They take an estimate of the tax and duty payable at Turkish Customs, so it is pre-paid, and then every few months they calculate what was actually paid, and refund the difference. This is not done by any other Amazon. All accounts at the end of a transaction are shown in TL and one button click to pay.

Forgot to mention: you can use your Amazon account log-in details on any Amazon country, just by moving to that site and logging-in again. So, with the new Turkey site, I logged-in and they have all my details and payment information.

Ian
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Akasya (20th September 2018), IbrahimAbi (20th September 2018), j in bo (20th September 2018), LauraB (20th September 2018), Leo (20th September 2018), Rose Cole (20th September 2018)
Old 20th September 2018, 04:05   #6 (permalink)

Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold Rose Cole is a splendid one to behold

Very informative posts, thank you.

After shipping and tax etc, are the US Amazon items still cheaper than other countries? Or is it the range of items available that is superior?

Also, just as a rough estimate, how long does delivery take from the US?
Rose Cole is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 06:11   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member Has-Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Cole View Post
After shipping and tax etc, are the US Amazon items still cheaper than other countries? Or is it the range of items available that is superior?

Also, just as a rough estimate, how long does delivery take from the US?
Yes, always cheaper. For example, I used to buy knitwear (jumpers) on Woolovers in UK. The same items are significantly cheaper despite them having to go to USA and be sent back across the Atlantic to Turkey; same is true on UK brand shoes. The competition is huge and the prices reflect that.

The range is mind boggling. You can find anything. Not all items are eligible for export, not all sellers export, some items export but shipping is prohibitive, some scams include selling cheap but shipping is exorbitant (rare), so watch the bottom line of the bill and don´t be afraid to cancel before you press the "Buy It Now" button.

Also you normally get a choice of fittings (shoes and clothes) that you do not get on other Amazon sites.

When you select the item, if it says Amazon is holding the item and doing the shipping (small print on the side of the description), that is always the fastest: about 9-12 days. If the item is being shipped by the store then it can be a little longer. You are always given shipping options, and the price reflects the speed of delivery. All items are Tracked so you can follow progress. Example: I have ordered a spare part on 15th. It is scheduled for delivery on 3rd, but it is already crossing the Atlantic and will be here next week.
Ian

ps when I logged on to Amazon USA this morning, it now offers me the option to switch to the Turkish site

Last edited by immac; 20th September 2018 at 07:07..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to immac For This Useful Post:
Akasya (20th September 2018), IbrahimAbi (20th September 2018), j in bo (20th September 2018), LauraB (20th September 2018), Maisie (20th September 2018), Rose Cole (20th September 2018), stuart (21st September 2018)
Old 20th September 2018, 08:14   #8 (permalink)

LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold LauraB is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so much for all that info Ian. I wonder if they will ship to TRNC ( the US site I mean). I'll have to give it a try I think. If it's trackable there shouldn't be a problem. MAYBE!!
LauraB is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 09:09   #9 (permalink)
Leo

Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of Leo has much to be proud of

Hi All, I'm probably being thick here but is there a quick button to change the language to English (I know I can do it on chrome - but not as easy to move between pages).

Cheers
Leo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
Hunt 23 (20th September 2018)
Old 20th September 2018, 09:53   #10 (permalink)
Grey wisdom

Thanked 7,832 Times in 3,713 Posts
IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute IbrahimAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Hi All, I'm probably being thick here but is there a quick button to change the language to English (I know I can do it on chrome - but not as easy to move between pages).

Cheers
Not that I can see. You will have to ask your Turkish teacher to base a lesson around Amazon.
Leo (20th September 2018)

Tags
amazon , operations , starts , turkey