Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
  1.00 (GBP)=
  1.00 (EUR)=
  $1.00 (USD)=
  rates from coinmill.com
Old 5th August 2012, 15:51   #1 (permalink)
The Wandering Yankee

Qaaolchoura will become famous soon enough
Entrepreneur visa?

Not that this matters immediately since I'd need capital, which I currently don't have, to start a business, and I'd certainly need to become proficient in Turkish. But I'm wondering if Turkey has a system for entrepreneur visas/self-employment work permits?

I'm thinking that after I've learned Turkish and saved some money (which will probably involve working outside of Turkey for a few years), it might be fun to open a tour company. When I've googled for information on various destinations I often come across package tours advertised at outrageous prices and I'm fairly certain that I could offer better tours (again, once I'm good at Turkish in order to haggle with hotels for group rates, rent vans, deal with government officials, and whatnot) for far less. But of course I can't find anything about this; when I google for information on entrepreneur visas for Turkey I end up with information for Turkish citizens on getting visas to the US and UK.

Thanks and regards,
~Q
Qaaolchoura is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 16:06   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 1,427 Times in 866 Posts
oldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud ofoldfogy has much to be proud of
Re: Entrepreneur visa?

When you start delving into insurance costs etc you will start to understand why prices are so expensive.

Just because you did not make a claim on someone breaking a limb or dying on one of the trips this year does not mean it will not happen tomorrow or the next day so you still have to pay the price 'just in case'

Then as with most self employed people you start to think why am I doing all this and making next to nothing.

The rest is probably history.

And for the benefit of anyone who wants to actually 'make money', being a self employed one-man-band will not make you any decent money, the only way of making decent money is by having people work for you of which you then cream of the profits of their labour.
But the downside is that you take the hit 'when' things go wrong.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Istanbul_expat (5th August 2012), Qaaolchoura (5th August 2012)
Old 5th August 2012, 17:13   #3 (permalink)

markwilshaw is a splendid one to beholdmarkwilshaw is a splendid one to beholdmarkwilshaw is a splendid one to beholdmarkwilshaw is a splendid one to beholdmarkwilshaw is a splendid one to beholdmarkwilshaw is a splendid one to behold

Not worth ıt.
Mark
markwilshaw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markwilshaw For This Useful Post:
shirleyanntr (5th August 2012)
Old 5th August 2012, 17:26   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,591 Times in 859 Posts
Istanbul_expat has disabled reputation

Can't you do something like that back in the States? Working in a foreign country, especially one such as Turkey where work permits, beaurocracy and other problems increase the costs, would leave you, as Fogy said, with next to nothing and probably in debt. A lot of people have dreams about starting their own business but I would only do it in my homeland where I had a roof over my head and was able to work legally.
Istanbul_expat is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:47   #5 (permalink)

Trishwish has disabled reputation

There is no entrepreneur visa in Turkey , however it is possible to apply for a work permit if you employ a minimum of five Turkish nationals.

As the other forum members have said this is very expensive and difficult.

Any way, check out this this http://www.gsimeridian.com/files/38.pdf look at page 2 of this document that starts " the evaluation of foreigners work permit requests".....

There are many people who have lost millions trying to set up businesses in Turkey and they had a lot more going for them, than a pie in the sky dream.
Trishwish is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trishwish For This Useful Post:
Istanbul_expat (5th August 2012), Qaaolchoura (5th August 2012)
Old 5th August 2012, 18:33   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,442 Times in 605 Posts
Kingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud ofKingfisher has much to be proud of

To start off with a TURSAB licence costs 70 000 TL
Kingfisher is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfisher For This Useful Post:
Qaaolchoura (5th August 2012)
Old 5th August 2012, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
The Wandering Yankee

Qaaolchoura will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbul_expat View Post
Can't you do something like that back in the States? Working in a foreign country, especially one such as Turkey where work permits, beaurocracy and other problems increase the costs, would leave you, as Fogy said, with next to nothing and probably in debt. A lot of people have dreams about starting their own business but I would only do it in my homeland where I had a roof over my head and was able to work legally.
If I were to start my own business in the United States it would be in the tech industry, probably the semantic web. That's the sort of thing I'd be good at. Other things I'm good at are retaining information and traveling on the cheap.

I'm thinking about how few foreigners have been to some of the places I've been to on my own (like Sardis, Trabzon, and Sivas), and yet how wonderful these places are. And also how ignorant Americans are about, but how people back home have been saying they want to visit after seeing my pictures.

The insurance I imagine is part of the costs (it's the only part I haven't investigated), but not the whole story. I know native Turks offer tours for far cheaper, though of course they do have the obvious advantage of being Turkish citizens. But the Turkish tours tend to be no-frills tours marketed to Turkish nationals (of course I've never actually been on one since I can find my way around myself for even cheaper), whereas these package tours that one comes across even when you're not looking for them (probably using SEO) tend to market themselves in terms of luxury accommodation and fine dining.

Any rate, I'd assume that if I were starting a tour company I'd need to employ other people. (One question is how easy it would be to find English-speaking Turks interested in this line of work. It seems like whenever I meet a Turk who speaks good English they've either worked with the military or sell rugs.) I was mainly thinking about doing this if I married a Turkish woman who speaks English and could also be a business partner. Which actually raises another question: can spouses of Turkish nationals work legally (as with spouses of US nationals, after the roughly year's wait to get a green card)?

~Q
Qaaolchoura is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:32   #8 (permalink)

Trishwish has disabled reputation

Foreign spouses of Turkish citizens cannot work legally without a work permit, unless they become a Turkish citizen.

Only those individuals who can prove they possess a specific skill not demonstrated by a member of the local Turkish population can qualify to receive a work permit. Furthermore, only a formal business entity formally registered in Turkey can submit a work permit application.

If people are caught working illegally they are fined and deported on the next plane home and banned from entering Turkey for 5 years.

Some occupations banned for foreigners applying for a work permit in Turkey

Diving, maritime navigation, working on ships, extracting wreckage, exportation of fish, other sea creatures, sand and pebbles
Mining
Working as an executive director in travel agencies
Professional occupations: medical doctor, nurse, midwife, dentist, vet, pharmacist, optician, executive director in hospitals, judge, lawyer, prosecutor, security guard and notary
Trishwish is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
entrepreneur, entrepreneur visa, entrepreneurship, self-employment, visa, work permit