bicklehoff

Turkish Citizenship
Hi Everyone,

My name is David and I am looking for some help/advice/expertise on getting my citizenship. Thanks in advance for anything! Here's my situation:

My wife is Turkish, we have been married for 10 years. We lived in America the whole time. We just came back this summer. We have two sons who both have their Turkish Citizenship.

I would like to get my citizenship also. Here are my most pressing questions:

1: My 90 day Visa expires on 08/29/12. We have been told that if I set an appointment for my residency, that is considered the day of my visa "extension" (as long as the residency is approved). We have set this appointment and have the receipt. The date of our appointment is January 4th 2013. I am safe to stay here?

2: Do I need to have my residency to apply for my citizenship? I would like to start the process before January. Is citizenship dependent on residency or can that be separate affairs?

3: Is there any way to legally work before receiving my citizenship? Must I be sponsored by a company or can I get a work permit simply based on my marraige to my wife?

4: We will be living in Istanbul, we tried to start this process here in Kapadokya but they said my wife would have to change her legal address, which would complicate things for the school year for our kids. In Istanbul it looks like everything for residency is run through the main office on the European Side. Would this be the same office for my citizenship, and must I apply there first...or...can I apply to the local municipality (in this case Maltepe) to get the process started?

I am assuming that all the different offices and agencies here aren't necessarily on the same page. If anyone knows the easiest, most streamlined method of going about this I'd love to hear any tips.

I get overwhelmed with this process because my Turkish is just Okay. It's certainly not good enough to inquire on the phone with agents and negotiate the bureaucracy. I only get so far on the internet before needing help. Because of me feeling this way I have not been as proactive dealing with these items as I should have been and I've left the initiative to others. That has become clear. Any help from the group is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

David

beyazbayan

Turkish Citizenship
İt's a long process and not easy. There's loads of info on this forum about the way forward. First you must have at least 6 months left on your residency.

bicklehoff

Turkish Citizenship
Thank you for the reply. It's funny, I did a search for "citizenship" on the forum and found just a few threads, now I see below some related threads that are my exact question. I will review them now, thanks again.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom