Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 20th November 2013, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Eccleston/Konacik

Thanked 1,346 Times in 503 Posts
jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of
Clarification (and help) needed!!

I wonder if somebody can help me out here? On a Facebook group I am a member of, someone queried the whole visa and 90 in 180 days. I responded by telling people what I had read on here about the new arrangements whereby the "count back" system was now being used. (I have read where this is now the case since the amendment to the Schengen visa regulations and understand that - are Turkey applying the same principles?)

From reading stuff on here, I am (rightly or wrongly?) under the impression that the officials count back 180 days from the day you leave Turkey and check that you haven't spent more than 90 days in Turkey within that period. Again (rightly or wrongly?), I understood that it didn't matter whether this count back of 180 days was over the period of one or two visas.

I was shot down in flames about this .... can somebody clarify the situation and tell me if I have got the wrong end of the stick? Also, if I have got it right, where was the information gleaned from? I hope someone can help me as if I am right, I will need to show where I have got this information from ... and if I am wrong, then I will apologise profusely.

Jak xx
jakkigers is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 20th November 2013, 22:26   #2 (permalink)

lippy has disabled reputation
Re: Clarification (and help) needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkigers View Post
I wonder if somebody can help me out here? On a Facebook group I am a member of, someone queried the whole visa and 90 in 180 days. I responded by telling people what I had read on here about the new arrangements whereby the "count back" system was now being used. (I have read where this is now the case since the amendment to the Schengen visa regulations and understand that - are Turkey applying the same principles?)

From reading stuff on here, I am (rightly or wrongly?) under the impression that the officials count back 180 days from the day you leave Turkey and check that you haven't spent more than 90 days in Turkey within that period. Again (rightly or wrongly?), I understood that it didn't matter whether this count back of 180 days was over the period of one or two visas.

I was shot down in flames about this .... can somebody clarify the situation and tell me if I have got the wrong end of the stick? Also, if I have got it right, where was the information gleaned from? I hope someone can help me as if I am right, I will need to show where I have got this information from ... and if I am wrong, then I will apologise profusely.

Jak xx
You are absolutely spot on,we were fined on leaving Turkey through this a month or so ago.

There was a ref on this in Voices about 5 weeks ago.
lippy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lippy For This Useful Post:
jakkigers (20th November 2013)
Old 20th November 2013, 22:27   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 7,732 Times in 3,221 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it can go over 2 visas, I have a calculator that works it out if you want it PM with an email address.

check it out here...

Overstay on a 90 Day Holiday Visa - Help.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
jakkigers (20th November 2013)
Old 20th November 2013, 22:35   #4 (permalink)
Eccleston/Konacik

Thanked 1,346 Times in 503 Posts
jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of jakkigers has much to be proud of

Thank you so much for those replies. I just wish I could find an "official" link to this information ..... I got so much stick on Facebook, being told that I was absolutely wrong and it would never happen!!

Oh well, you can only tell people ... you can't force them to believe you.

Jak xx
jakkigers is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakkigers For This Useful Post:
G&L (26th November 2013), Sunny Seasider (20th November 2013)
Old 20th November 2013, 23:36   #5 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,157 Times in 2,401 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

There was something posted in 'Voices' a couple of months ago, but even that TBH I thought was still a little hard to understand.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 23:36   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thank you so much for those replies. I just wish I could find an "official" link to this information ..... I got so much stick on Facebook, being told that I was absolutely wrong and it would never happen!!

Oh well, you can only tell people ... you can't force them to believe you.

Jak xx
If you search on this Forum one of the threads included a post which quoted an English Translation of an extract from the relevant law.It was this and the article below which convinced me to rethink.

Quote:
In compliance with the Decision of the Council of Ministers dated 10.10.2011, No: 2011/2306, total duration of stay of foreigners who visit Turkey as tourists cannot exceed 90 days within last 180 days period.
“süre…vize muafiyet süresi veya vizede belirtilen kalış süresi yeterli ise yabancının Türkiye'den çıktığı gün itibarıyla önceki 180 gün zarfında 90 gün olarak uygulanır”.
Thus in calculation of 180 days limit, Law no. 5683 states that; (at no time during their present stay in Turkey,) foreign visitors are permitted to exceed 90 days within previous 180 days from their date of DEPARTURE. This means in the calculation of duration of stay in Turkey, foreign visitors should look backward from their present point or from the day of their departure.
This article explains Schengens current interpretation which Turkey follows

New Schengen entry rules adopted by Switzerland, EU - GenevaLunch News

Last edited by Chinook; 20th November 2013 at 23:41..
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinook For This Useful Post:
jakkigers (21st November 2013)
Old 21st November 2013, 09:35   #7 (permalink)

Altrice is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Jak xx
There is no count back system and there never has been, the visa starts from the day the stamp goes into your passport and is worked out from there.
Altrice is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:00   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 7,732 Times in 3,221 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no count back system and there never has been, the visa starts from the day the stamp goes into your passport and is worked out from there.
Tell that to those that have been caught out with it.

Yes the day you buy the visa you have 180 days and that is counted forward but on the day you exit they count back your days in Turkey and you only have 90 days.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
oldfogy (21st November 2013)
Old 21st November 2013, 10:22   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrice View Post
Sorry but there is, please read the posts above including extracts from the Law and links .
The Visa allows you the right to stay within a period of 180 days from entry or date on your E visa but the days you can actually stay in Turkey( up to 90 days) is based on a countback system from day of departure and can overlap visas.
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 14:52   #10 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,157 Times in 2,401 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrice View Post
Altrice,

It may take some believing, but I assure you not long ago I too was saying exactly the same as yourself.

The situation we now have is, 90 days which if counted backwards from today may well be spread over two visa purchases.

And if not very careful some people could even find that with their second visa they could quite well even have as little as a couple of week (or even days) allowance on it.

Example:-
1st Visa Purchased 1st Jan which would be valid until end of June:
1st Holiday from 1st Jan to 7th Jan = (7 days)
2nd Holiday from 1st April to 17th June = (78 days)

2nd Visa Purchased on 1st July:
1st holiday from 1st July to 14th July would equal a overstay of 2 days.

"= 78 + 14 = 92" = FINED for 2 day overstay.

Obviously that is just a scenario, but if people are not careful it can happen and as we now know similar things are happening and people are now being fined and even being banned from re-entry for specified times, which when a UK citizen has been banned they then need to go through the Turkish consulate in London UK for clearance to get their next Turkish visit verified.

So you count backwards to determine how much longer you can stay, or you can count forward 'but only IF you have not been in Turkey at any time during any of the previous 90 days.

Yes, complicated or more to the point "confusing"
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
G&L (26th November 2013), lippy (21st November 2013), mike dj (22nd November 2013)

Tags
clarification , needed