Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 26th May 2014, 18:56   #1 (permalink)
rCt

rCt is on a distinguished road
Help / Advice E-Visa / Passport

I have found myself in a bit of a pickle since arriving in Turkey a week ago

Please bear with me as the situation is rather complicated and even gives me a headache, but will try my best to explain clearly!

In December 2013 on a whim I decided to join a friend who was visiting family in Fethiye. I entered the country on 3rd December and received one of the old style stickers in my passport in the usual way. I spent three weeks in the country before leaving on 23rd December

I then decided to try living in Turkey for a more extended period and got my affairs in order in the UK before re-entering the country on the 19th May with about 11 days left on my old visa.

Before I left I also printed out one of the new e-visas which I brought with me for when the old one ran out - as I had only used it for three weeks and it was the end of the 180 days, theoretically allowing me start again with a fresh 90 days while I sorted out my residency permit.

I have all the proper documentation with me and funds in the bank etc so it really should only have been a formality

I had planned to spend a weekend in Rhodes at the end of my first Visa, before re-entering Turkey on the new E-visa.

But when I came to book my ferry to my absolute horror I discovered I had lost my passport. I have no idea whether it is lost or stolen and this where my tale of woe begins!

Because of recent cutbacks in the UK Passport Office / Embassies, the Consulate in Fethiye can no longer issue new passports or even deal with Visa / passport requests

They only provide emergency travel documents to leave the country at short notice. This is not a issue for me as I plan to remain in the country for the foreseeable future and don't even have a return flight booked,

My problem is that it now takes a minimum of 8 weeks to get a lost /stolen passport replaced from the UK Passport Office while abroad so I have no way of leaving the country to activate my new Visa.

I am having difficulty communicating with the bureaucracy over here even to find out if my passport has been handed in anywhere, the Dalaman airport number is automated voice which when you press '9' for English doesn't even mention lost property!

I visited the 'Passport Police' in Fethiye this afternoon, but as it was just before lunch the duty officer didn't have much time for me, in fact he didn't even understand what I was asking for. He just started going on about the British Embassy and emergency travel document etc which has to be the last resort as it would cost me 400 at least just to get one - travel back to the UK - New Fast track passport - then come back to Turkey.

This seems a waste of money to me when I have the proper documents except my elusive passport. I have the international standard driving license with me as well as a photocopy of my passport.

Basically I need a way to activate my new visa which should be in order without exiting the country while I wait for my passport. I have somewhere to stay while this is sorted so not a problem.

Also put a deposit on a house which I'm supposed to be moving into next week so am getting a bit anxious as time ticks down on my old visa.

My own fault for losing the passport ofc but this has never happened to me before and I am usually very careful with all my documents etc

My friend's partner is actually Turkish but his father is sick so he is currently in another part of turkey around 300km away. So he should be able to help later in the week when he returns if I just know what to do.

Would appreciate any help /advice from anyone who understands my predicament. Thanks for reading!

Russ
rCt is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 26th May 2014, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

jackfatih has a spectacular aura about jackfatih has a spectacular aura about
Re: Help / Advice E-Visa / Passport

Hı rct
sorry ı cannot help you much on the vısa sıde of thıngs but ı lost y passport here ın turkey last year. ıt ıs very easy to replace from all applıcatıons now go dırect to the Uk so you could send the applıcatıon for by kargo ı used Ups whıch cost 100tl. make sure you enclose a polıs report and fotocopy of lost passport wıth your applıcatıon . As for the vısa maybe take your turkısh frıend wıth you and go chat wıth the people ın the foreıgn department where resıdencıes are normally done maybe once you put forward most of your resıdency paperwork applıcatıon they wıll pt ıt on hold tıll your passport comes back. Normally once your rp applıcatıon has gone ın at the emnıyet you are covered even more so now that applıcatıons now go to Ankara. My passport took 4 weeks to come back as ı wrote a long letter to passport offıce explaınıng my sıtuatıon and they were really consıderate and dıd ıt extremely quıckly.

sorry cant be more help but good luck
jackfatih is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
rCt

rCt is on a distinguished road

Hi Jack, thanks for the reply, I have heard from other people that the replacement passport doesn't take quite as long as 8 weeks,

I am only going from the official UK gov website and I suspect they are being overly conservative with the estimate just to get people to stump up 90 for the emergency travel document.

I am sure the marina in Fethiye has the facility to scan visas for people arriving in yachts etc so am probably going to try as you suggest.

There is a Turkish man who advises people on visas, renewing passports etc so am thinking of paying him to make a few phone calls and go back with me to passport police tomorrow and see if it has been handed in - he seemed to think if it has been found in airport etc there is good chance it has now been handed in.

My main problem is the language barrier so I can rule out whether it is truly lost so I can start process for a new passport. Thanks again!
rCt is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 20:49   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Before I left I also printed out one of the new e-visas which I brought with me for when the old one ran out - as I had only used it for three weeks and it was the end of the 180 days, theoretically allowing me start again with a fresh 90 days while I sorted out my residency permit.
Did you use the E visa to enter Turkey. If not you may find it is not activated. One of the preconditions of a residency permit is a colour copy of the details page of your passport with a copy of your last entry stamp so it would seem essential that you resolve this aspect as a matter of urgency. I would suggest taking a Turkish friend to speak with the person in your local polis station who deals with foreigners

Last edited by Chinook; 26th May 2014 at 20:51..
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
top notch member

trevan is on a distinguished road

the e visa is recorded against your current passport number when applying, if you loose your passport and have to get a replacement you have to get a new e visa which is registered against the new passport number.
trevan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 00:51   #6 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,145 Times in 2,395 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Just a reminder in case you are not aware whilst you are getting things sorted, don't forget that the visa system now works on a "count back" system so effectivley the period from "the 19th May with about 11 days" will be counted also towards your 90 day allocation on your new visa.

So effectively once you start using your new visa you will not actually have 90 days but 90 minus the eleven (11) days listed above.
Yes, it is confusing, but just be aware in case your RP does not go through as quickly as it should have.

Although on second thoughts, even part of your stay from December 2013 could even be counted towards your 90 day allowance, the crucial thing will be the starting point of your new visa.

Try downloading and filling in the dates on the Tourist Visa Calculator from to see how you actually stand.
Tourist Visas for visiting Turkey
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfogy For This Useful Post:
Chinook (28th May 2014)
Old 28th May 2014, 06:12   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 1,269 Times in 833 Posts
Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of Chinook has much to be proud of

Good reminder Old Fogy but isn't the the crucial thing the date when the 180 day countback begins
Chinook is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 15:45   #8 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,145 Times in 2,395 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Good reminder Old Fogy but isn't the the crucial thing the date when the 180 day countback begins
Yes.

What you will find with the calculator is if and when you play around with the exit dates, the starting date date of the count-back changes.

Slightly OT.
The main problem I would foresee is if someone had completed the bulk of their 90 day stay towards the end of their visa, then they would have to maybe even wait up-to another 90 days before being eligible for re-entry on a new visa, and yes, it can get complicated and confusing, which is why you need to input as many known dates as possible.

A scenario for that could be something like.
New visa starts Jan 1st which expires end of June.

With the start of a new visa you enter Turkey on January 1st for just one week. (7 days used)
re-enter Turkey in mid April and stay for '2 month 3 week' (82 days used)
Which would then mean you could not stay in Turkey at any time during the next 6 months for more than one week at any one time.

The main time that the count-back system is relevant is only if and when people spend more than just a few weeks during any 90 day period.

For the majority of 'NORMAL' tourists there should not be any problems.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , evisa , passport