Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 5th July 2014, 16:34   #1 (permalink)

shkhr is on a distinguished road
URGENT! Overstaying Problem

Hi all,

I am Indian student currently doing my research internship in Izmir. My visa expired 2 months ago (visa type:research) and I didn't extend it because the foreign police department had misinformed me that it was not required for a research student. Now they are telling me that it was and now I will have to pay the overstay penalty on the airport. Please help me regarding.

1. They told me that I will have to pay only 170 lira as penalty and it is much lesser than the total cost I would have paid if I had applied for R.P in the first place. They also showed an official paper in which it was written that the penalty fee for 2 month is 60 dollar. But on the internet I am seeing that people have been asked a huge penalty in case of overstaying. If the same happens to me, what shall I do?

2. I really want to pay the fine beforehand somewhere so there is no problem on the airport. But they are telling me that I can pay nowhere other that airport. Is there no way out to pay the money now.

3. Someone said me not to pay the penalty at all, and you will be banned to enter Turkey for years. Will this be good idea?I have no problem in getting banned. But if they are going to hold me on the airport and won't let me go then its better to pay the fine. Can you tell me what will happen If I don't pay the fine?

4. How earlier I shall reach the airport so that I can go through this and then catch my flight. Also,will they ask for any document to prove that I was doing my research in the university?

Thanks a lot for reading. Waiting for your reply
shkhr is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 5th July 2014, 16:51   #2 (permalink)

Tenpin will become famous soon enough Tenpin will become famous soon enough
Re: URGENT! Overstaying Problem

From what I understand, this is at least the 5th forum you have posted this question on over the last few months.... Please take the advice already offered by multiple other people.
Akasya (5th July 2014), G&L (5th July 2014), mallin (5th July 2014), pasty (6th July 2014)
Old 5th July 2014, 17:04   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I realize that I have posted it on many forums. I have been in distress since I got to know about this thing. I am going through the official websites but problem is those are in Turkish and talking directly to police officer isn't much of help. I know I have to make decision by my own and also its not very big problem but since I have no experience at all (this is my first foreign trip), I just want to get suggestions as much as I could.
shkhr is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,333 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

You know you were in the wrong by allowing your visa to run out or/and did not renew it.

I imagine you have also been in Turkey long enough not to believe what officials such as police etc tell you, you are are the one responsible and not them.

My suggestion is if you want to return to Turkey will be to pay whatever they are demanding and hope you do not also get a ban for re-entering for any length of time.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 17:16   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Oldfogy. I know it was my mistake. I should have asked for the written document in the first place. The same thing was also said by my embassy. I know the police will not accept this as a justification for not extending my visa, but I am afraid thinking if things get really ugly and they ask for huge amount as penalty.
shkhr is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shkhr For This Useful Post:
pasty (6th July 2014)
Old 5th July 2014, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Bodrum buddy

alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold alva5763 is a splendid one to behold

I have a couple of friends who are hoping to stay 10 days over the 90 days. Is there anyway they can do this? Have heard you can get 6 month tourist visa but others say this does not exist. If it requires a lot of documents they will not bother and leave at end of 90 day visa. Thanks in advance,Derek.
alva5763 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
Just passing through

Thanked 4,040 Times in 2,333 Posts
oldfogy has disabled reputation

[quote=shkhr;931456]Hi all,

I am Indian student currently doing my research internship in Izmir. My visa expired 2 months ago (visa type:research) and I didn't extend it because the foreign police department had misinformed me that it was not required for a research student. Now they are telling me that it was and now I will have to pay the overstay penalty on the airport. Please help me regarding.

1. They told me that I will have to pay only 170 lira as penalty and it is much lesser than the total cost I would have paid if I had applied for R.P in the first place. They also showed an official paper in which it was written that the penalty fee for 2 month is 60 dollar. But on the internet I am seeing that people have been asked a huge penalty in case of overstaying. If the same happens to me, what shall I do?

2. I really want to pay the fine beforehand somewhere so there is no problem on the airport. But they are telling me that I can pay nowhere other that airport. Is there no way out to pay the money now.

3. Someone said me not to pay the penalty at all, and you will be banned to enter Turkey for years. Will this be good idea?I have no problem in getting banned. But if they are going to hold me on the airport and won't let me go then its better to pay the fine. Can you tell me what will happen If I don't pay the fine?

2. Have you tried talking to the university or even the Tourist Police.
3. They may just keep you hanging around for a while and then send you on your way, then as stated above Departing Turkey without paying the relevant fine will lead to an automatic five year ban on re-entry.

4. How earlier I shall reach the airport so that I can go through this and then catch my flight. Also,will they ask for any document to prove that I was doing my research in the university?
Extract taken from Akbuk Robs site:
Quote:
Overstaying your visa can result in a heavy fine (which increases depending on the time spent over the time limit) and/or a ban on re-entering Turkey for up to five years, depending on the length of the overstay and you would also need to apply for your next visa from your nearest Turkish Embassy or Consulate overseas before returning to Turkey.

Departing Turkey without paying the relevant fine will lead to an automatic five year ban on re-entry.

* Overstay 1-15 days - No ban.
* Overstay from 16-90 days - Banned for up to three months.
* Overstay for more than 90 days - Banned for up to six months.
4. No one can give you a answer to that, so you will have to decide for yourself.
oldfogy is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 18:19   #8 (permalink)
Sun Worshipper

Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of Tommie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkhr View Post
Hi all,

It is a pity that you had nothing in writing from the police department.

If you are not concerned about re-entering Turkey then I suggest you simply turn up at the airport.
Once you have checked in, the flight will have to wait for you or unload your luggage.

If you can afford to pay the fine then do so and put it down to experience. Should you decide to come back to Turkey, or anywhere else, do ensure that you get written confirmation about anything.

If you are lucky, the officer on duty will just slap your wrists and send you on your way.
Old 5th July 2014, 18:55   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,797 Posts
evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute evo80 has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be able to go on the ferry to Kos or Rhodes and pay the fine at the ferry customs before going on the ferry and come back the same day on a new £10 visa . But no more . You will have to go to the A/Prt very early I think to sort it out there .
evo80 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 19:53   #10 (permalink)

Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,780 Posts
suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute suzyq has a reputation beyond repute

It's not possible to pay the fine before hand somewhere else, it has to be paid at the airport assuming you want to pay.

Last edited by suzyq; 5th July 2014 at 20:50.. Reason: amended post
suzyq is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
istanbul , izmir , overstayed visa , overstaying , penaltyturkey , problem , residence permits , urgent