newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
E visa and Schenghen Visa requirement or Turkish visa
We often see the E visa threads come up but thought I'd make a mention of the Schenghen Visa that is required for some nationals visiting Turkey.

I just booked a flight to Turkey yesterday to fly early next week and as usual booked my e visa in a couple of minutes no issues chose country from dropdown list and paid fee ($20) and hey Bingo your E visa arrives as a download in your mailbox.

Now I wanted a relative of mine to come from India and checked the E visa site before and knew the fee would be more for non European or non US citizens etc and it showed $43 but offered only a single entry visa valid for 6 months with no visit longer than 30 days. So I thought simple lets pay for this...only on last section of the payment stage it asks for the following information :-

My passport covers the period that I will be staying in Turkey.

I can prove that I hold a return ticket, hotel reservation and at least 50 $ per each day of my stay.

-I am travelling for the purposes of tourism or business.

I hold a valid supporting document (Schengen visa or a valid visa from any of the OECD member countries; or a valid residence permit of a Schengen or OECD country). e-Visas are not accepted as a supporting document.

I confirm that I meet each and every one of the conditions listed above.

---

So although we satisfy all the criteria except for having a schenghen visa what is the point of having countries such as India on e visa website when the e visa means nothing until ones gets schenghen visa?! Its very misleading, I don't think tr Gov E visa site should have countries on there that need schenghen visas. Don't understand why they mention OECD countries either neither applies to India. I think the TR e visa site has copy pasted info and is making easy money allowing individuals from any country to buy e visas that mean nothing without certain supporting documents.

BTW schenghen visa is a visa that allows individuals to visit 25 countries, none of which my relative wants to visit except Turkey. The process of getting a schenghen visa for indian nationals is also long and cumbersome with having to show bank balances, payslips, etc etc all this for short 5 days holiday to Turkey!

The bottom line is be grateful you hold one of the top nationalities like UK citizenship, its not ranked No 1 in the world for nothing!

Now you can understand why so many want to gain the freedom so many of us already have, count your blessings!

https://www.henleyglobal.com/international-visa-restrictions/

Last edited:

suzyq

Re: E visa and Schenghen Visa requirement

Not sure it is misleading really. On the vsfglobal website it says

Please note if the applicant is holding a valid UK,US or Schengen visa in the passport while entering Turkey, the applicant can apply E-visa.

If I read that I would know that if I didn't have any of those visa's I wouldn't be able to apply for an e-visa. Obviously if I did have one of the required visas I would be able to apply for an e-visa and that is why India is on the list because there must be many Indian passport holders who live and work in the UK,U.S. and Schenghen countries and would make life a bit easier for them to travel.

When you say the e-visa website is making easy money are they taking money from people before they confirm that they meet all the conditions? If it is that is not good.

I do agree travel can be very difficult if you don't carry certain passports.

All About Visas
Type of Visa

Visas can be categorized in two broad categories namely:

Single Entry Visa
Multiple Entry Visa

Required documents for all visa categories

Please note that the following essentials must be met by all applicants submitting their applications for visa.

Passport should be valid for six month upon arrival in Turkey and passport must have one blank page.

Please note if the applicant is holding a valid UK,US or Schengen visa in the passport while entering Turkey, the applicant can apply E-visa.

For E-visa you can log onto below link

Click here.

Please note that The Consulate General of Turkey, Mumbai do not accept additional pages inserted into passports. If you do not have a blank page to which a visa can be affixed, a new passport must be obtained before submitting your application.

Turkey Visa Information - India - All About Visas

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"

Thanks Suzy there is a lot of information on the websites, tend not to use agencies like vfs as many add on fees.

In the last few hours I have found out there is another way,without obtaining either an E visa or this dreaded Schenghen Visa which I must admit I wasn't fully aware of at the time . One can apply for a turkish visa directly at the Consulate. But time is of essence we have 1 working day to get this on Monday...

In the end I've sponsored the whole trip to get this Visa asap and sent over all my documents its easier than supplying the endless list of documents indian nationals are asked for which can be supplied but it will take time and we will miss our flights.

If they had a US Visa or Schenghen Visa then they could get the e visa, but not without. I can't get the US Visa (easier than Schenghen) in 24 hours either so easiest option is to apply for turkish visa directly via Consulate is fastest option atm.

Please note this option is not entirely clear for some nationals that if they do not wish to go through the hassle of applying for Shenghen Visa and are not in possesion of a US Visa allowing one to get E Visa's are only visiting Turkey they can apply directly to Turkish Consulate in their country for a Turkish Visa.

So fingers crossed we get this Visa issued locally on the day for a flight at midnight the same day...

Last edited:

suzyq

Fingers and toes crossed for you

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"

Should any visitors to this website be reading this i.e those who are not UK or US citizens or from countries where one can just apply for E visa directly without need for other expensive supporting documents.

Contact your local Turkish Consulate in your country

download the turkish visa form

on my search currently as per 9 Oct 2015 this is the form available

http://www.travisa.com/pdffiles/turkey_visa.pdf

take it to your local turkish consulate who will process and issue your turkish visa in the office providing all other supporting documents are supplied.

Decide fastest route e.g if employed -you will need to prove financial statement, eg payslips, tax statements, bank statements, credit card etc etc

or easier if student (just need to show right to leave)

or easier still ....get someone to sponsor you (whos also going to Turkey who's from the Top set Countries- see Post #1) then just a sponsor letter, and their bank statements will suffice...

I've opted for latter option, will see what happens...
Hope this post helps someone in future who may also be stuck at last minute trying to get to Turkey...

beyazbayan

Know how you feel when we have to supply 98 documents for a UK holiday visa and also provide similar for the schenghen a visa which we are not supposed to need as long as hubby travels with me, free movement of spouse etc load of old cobblers, especially as there are 87 nationalities that don't have to do anything other than get a ticket and passport for the UK and get a six month visa same day no address or accommodation in the UK no proof of finance.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"

I know beyazbayan, it's not fair is it!

When so many of us don't have to prove anything as long as we have a ticket and instant e visa, all bought in a few minutes Bang! All sorted! They may be overdrawn, have bad credit rating, be in debt etc..but none of that needs to be known, well Why?!! Why not?

It seems to be some citizens need to prove significant bank balances etc before going anywhere and endless paper trails. Wish it was equal treatment and procedures for all.

Akasya

Postless Pointer

Agreed , if only rights upon arrival were reciprocal , alas we know most non schengen countries deny visitors any thing other than the right to sod off.

Steve

Chinook

Perhaps it has something to do with people from Turkey not being able to obtain an Indian E visa to visit that country.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Fingers and toes crossed for you

Just found out we got the Visa!!!

It was soooo last minute though, we had everything they sent in check list first time round and then they sent me a simplified list on Friday afternoon if I was to be sponsor (just 4 things were required). Over weekend, we got everything ready. But after applicant turned up this morning on Monday they wanted in addition; proof of address and school/college certificates!! They aren't even a student anymore!!

It's so strange why some nationalities are asked to prove so much and even after bringing everything on the check list they provided, with a sponsor who's provided everything then they tell you to bring something else from 10 years ago!
In comparison, it took me a couple of minutes to get my E visa online no questions asked, no address proof, no job proof, income proof, no bank statements, no college certificates etc... Gheez some of us have it easy! Anyway, we got it!!.Flight is tonight...so they have few hours to pack...

Hope the rest of their experience in Turkey will be a good one!! I think it will be from now on...

suzyq

Congratulations NH on a nail biting happy ending, hope they enjoy their holiday.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom