Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 4th February 2019, 16:47   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,143 Posts
Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute Yildez Datca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tourist residence permit and tax

A Resident Permit, allows you to stay in Turkey as long as you like. Many people use it so they can have extended holidays, while living mainly elsewhere. People who live here full time are required by law to have one. As far as I am aware this does not mean they are domiciled here, although to be honest I'm unsure what you mean by this? A Resident Permit is merely permission to stay, it does not confer any rights - voting in elections for example.

You will be liable for tax if you work, and you will need a work permit from an employer for this, who will be responsible for tax deduction. If you open a bank account that attracts interest, you will be taxed on it, with the bank making the deductions. If you have a property that you rent out, you have to pay tax on the rental income, and would need an accountant to prepare the yearly tax papers. I can't think of any other reason why you would pay tax.
Yildez Datca is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yildez Datca For This Useful Post:
Harem (5th February 2019), IbrahimAbi (6th February 2019)
Old 4th February 2019, 17:09   #12 (permalink)

Ken Grubb is on a distinguished road

Here are some excerpts from a book, recently written by a UK lawyer, a Turkish lawyer, and a Turkish tax accountant. The book is called "How Things Really Work in Turkey," published 22 May 2018. It says the following:

The biggest single factor in determining how you will be treated by the tax authorities in any country is whether you are resident in that country for tax purposes. This concept of tax residence causes a great deal of confusion and can have different meanings in different countries.

Let us first look at what it does not mean. It is nothing to do with whether you have registered as a resident in a country or whether you have obtained a residence permit or residence card (though a person who has a card will often be tax resident). Nor does it have anything to do with whether you have a home (residence) in that country - although a person who is tax resident will normally have a home there. Nor is it much to do with your intentions.

It goes on to say:

Tax Residence in Turkey

Tax residence in Turkey is determined largely by one rule - if you spend more than six months a year in Turkey, you are regarded as being resident there for tax purposes.

The following is my opinion (I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant):

Absent a tax treaty, if you stay more than six months (I assume that means 180 days) in Turkey during any year, then according to Turkish law, you have to pay taxes on your worldwide income, in Turkey, for that year.

If you also have to pay taxes in another country, they may or may not offer an exemption for taxes paid in Turkey. But that would depend on the tax laws of that other country.

Last edited by Ken Grubb; 4th February 2019 at 17:19..
Ken Grubb is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Grubb For This Useful Post:
bashful (6th February 2019), IbrahimAbi (6th February 2019)
Old 6th February 2019, 12:18   #13 (permalink)

cowboymug is on a distinguished road

That excerpt is encouraging Ken, thanks.

I would like to get official confirmation that I would not be considered resident in my case so there would be no ambiguity, can anybody recommend how I would go about obtaining this?

I emailed infovimer@gelirler.gov.tr from the official revenue commission website without response thus far, does anybody have experience in dealing directly with Turkish revenue?

Thanks again for the responses
cowboymug is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 14:17   #14 (permalink)

Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of Neil_Denizli has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yildez Datca View Post
Are you talking about the Dual Tax Agreement between Turkey and the UK? If so, you have to apply to the UK tax office to be declared Non Resident. You have to prove yourself permanently resident in Turkey, by providing your stamped and verified Turkish Tax Card, last UK Tax Coding, Resident Permit, and several other documents that I can't remember. Once you are declared non resident in the U.K., you can only stay in the U.K. for so many days in a year - 90 I believe? The forms can be downloaded, and it takes several months for the process to be completed.

A Resident Permit on its own does NOT remove your U.K. tax liability.
I was just asked (and sorry I can't remember if by HMRC but more likely by my bank here) so complete an online declaration that I was living here for tax purposes. All I had to give was my tax number (Turkish).

I can't remember staying more than 30 days in UK since 2000, if that helps. (Not always here; was running a company in Nepal and was paying my taxes there for a decade.)
Old 8th February 2019, 03:32   #15 (permalink)

Other than from the government tax office itself, you could not get a clearer answer. You have already done that, but if your request was in English, and not in Turkish, you may not get any reply, unfortunately.
Old 12th February 2019, 21:06   #16 (permalink)

cowboymug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Grubb View Post
Other than from the government tax office itself, you could not get a clearer answer. You have already done that, but if your request was in English, and not in Turkish, you may not get any reply, unfortunately.

They quote on the contact page that;
"Enquiries should be asked only in English. Any questions in different languages other than English will not be answered via e-mail."

I was given a reference number 5 days ago so hopefully they get back to me soon, or is their correspondence service not so good?
cowboymug is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 22:04   #17 (permalink)

Thanked 1,619 Times in 700 Posts
Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future Bramidan has a brilliant future

Sounds like to me you need to employ the services of a professionally qualified accountant and pay a professional fee rather than rely on a forum.
By the way I am not an accountant!
Bramidan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 23:05   #18 (permalink)

kevkj has a spectacular aura about kevkj has a spectacular aura about

No it wouldn't until you class yourself domicile and inform the UK tax office.
Old 13th February 2019, 20:28   #19 (permalink)

Thanked 8,449 Times in 3,647 Posts
Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute Kanga has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has different descriptions of domicile for tax purposes. You can be a) resident, b) ordinarily resident, and c) domiciled, in the UK.
If you were born in UK it is quite difficult to remove yourself from the UK tax system, particularly when it comes to inheritance, as you will have to have been outside the UK for 17 of the last 20 years to avoid it.
Income tax is a whole different ball game.
The UK has a double taxation treaty with Turkey which means that tax pid in one jurisdiction is offset against any tax due in the other. BUT neither will refund overpaid tax.
Unless you have a large investment portfolio or income I wouldn't worry too much.
If your income is somewhere north of 150k and will stay that way living in turkey you need financial planning advice.
An offshore trust comes to mind. . . .
Kanga is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanga For This Useful Post:
Akasya (13th February 2019), enoch (13th February 2019)
Old 19th February 2019, 20:44   #20 (permalink)

Just wondering if there is any update on this. Cowboymug, did you ever get a definitive answer?

Last edited by Ken Grubb; 19th February 2019 at 20:51..

Tags
permit , residence , tax , tourist