Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th October 2011, 17:31   #1 (permalink)
tjd

Thanked 1,443 Times in 820 Posts
tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future
Nice end to a holiday

I just wanted to relate this short story which happened to me a few nights ago and gave me a warm feeling.

I spent 3 weeks in the Tuzla area and my wife and I were commenting to each other on how shopkeepers must have stopped taking their 'happy pills' as the season was almost over. It seemed that almost everywhere we went from Guvercinlik to Gulluk we were met by people who really couldn't have cared if we bought goods from them or not.
On our last night, last Monday, we wandered up to the Sunset Cafe and went onto the shop for a packet of biscuits for the flight. Went to pay and then I asked for a Turkcell Kontur Card. The guy in the shop didn't even lift his head from the computer screen which was 100 million times more interesting than serving someone and said 'none Guvercinlik or Milas'.
I left the shop and remembered there is another corner shop beside the Artev Aftersales shop.
What a difference! As I walked up to the shop I could see the whole family were eating outside. So I wished them an Afiyet olsun and an Iyi akshamlar and asked Turkcell kontur carte var mi?
It was like I was the only customer he had that day. He ushered me into the shop. Got out the turkcell cards and asked me what value. Money changed hands, he offered me a ciggie. I replied I didn't smoke and was then offered gum. All done with a smile and exchange of pleasantries.
This one guy restored my faith in Turkish people and reminded me of the early days when I first came to Turkey.
A very pleasant end to my holiday!

Last edited by tjd; 6th October 2011 at 17:40..
tjd is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjd For This Useful Post:
DRACEY (7th October 2011), Liverpoolone (8th October 2011), willip (24th October 2011)
Old 6th October 2011, 17:41   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Thanked 2,933 Times in 979 Posts
Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nice end to a holiday

Good to hear this TJD
Mary is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 17:56   #3 (permalink)

coupe will become famous soon enough coupe will become famous soon enough

We go to sunset a lot when in Turkey and the staff are always pleasant, then on the way back we call in for a loaf of bread for the morning and as tjd says met by noln cooperative man at the till. I now wait till the morning and walk else where to buy the odments for the day.
coupe is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 07:43   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,153 Times in 626 Posts
the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of the bueman has much to be proud of

Hi Coupe/TJD

Take a stroll further up the road opposite FCC to Ocean View Cafe and Shop, the staff up there are very pleasant, cannot do enough to help you, if you need something they arrange for it to be brought to you, no need to go into Bodrum-Gumbet.

I wanted Silicon to seal a window, tried all the shops around Artev etc, the solutions offered, Dolmus into Bodrum.

Real solution, please sit down and have a beer or coffee, I will phone my friend. Come back later, My friend will deliver here 5pm. Back at 5pm and my Silicon is waiting for me.

Now have a fantastic relationship with Tekin and the boys in Ocean View, they even deliver my water, bread & Beer to my Apartment if to heavy to carry.

Like you say, Sunset Shop are in a world of their own, when it comes to paying for anything they think of a number and double it.
the bueman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 10:00   #5 (permalink)

spot is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
we too found ocean view to be a great place to visit, Tekin and Mehmet are really helpful with anything you need. we also had friends staying in our apartment on royal heights, they were picked up by the ocean view staff if they required a lift and also sorted out some day trips for them.
great service
spot is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:49   #6 (permalink)
tjd

tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future

Good point about Tekin over at Ocean View folks.

We stop there on our walk over to Bogazici for a coffee, he serves the best Nescafe coffee in the area by far and in a mug too, and reasonably priced.

He was telling us they're going to start snack food next year, can't wait for that to happen.

For DIY stuff, you could also phone Umit Kus who owns the little shop at the bottom of the hill on the way to the main road, he's pretty good, but if Tekins willing to do it for you then enjoy the beer and the view instead.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:56   #7 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute Mary has a reputation beyond repute

We also have a great relationship with Tekin and Mehmet their prices are cheaper for a drink as well. I honestly think that Suleman at Sunset Cafe has taken a lot on, bar at Gultan his Sunset beach and he also has further plans for next year. Then we heard that My Beach owners have bought the land beside Turquoise and are building a Carrfour Supermarket (Heard this from Owner himself) We can only wait and see. Umit at the shop is very good as well no problems there very friendly and helpful.

Last edited by Mary; 7th October 2011 at 11:57.. Reason: Add on
Old 7th October 2011, 12:02   #8 (permalink)
tjd

Mary - I hate to be negative but if it's anything to do with MyBeach it'll be the most expensive shop in Mugla District.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:06   #9 (permalink)
Non Active Member

I agree TJD My Beach is so very expensive the food is terrible and they have started to charge 100 tl for the pleasure of using their beach huts. We refuse to go but had a meeting there the last time we were there and he was outlining his plans. I told him about his charges and he just shrugged his shoulders as if he didnt care.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:21   #10 (permalink)
tjd

Yep - that's correct Mary - he doesn't care. We were talking to a couple 2 weeks ago who went down there spend just over 50lira on lunch and then asked to use a Cabana. He refused and told then they must spend more than 100 lira, so they left about 1/2 an hour later. He potentially lost out on them buying drinks all afternoon.
There was only 1 other family on the beach at the time.

What a strange mind set to have.

Tags
end , holiday , nice