mister t

Mobile phone
Hi,homeowner in Tuzla,spend 3/4 weeks twice a year there.Question,what's best method for phoning home and to avoid excessive charges from my mobile phone company?Its to UK.
Also,anyone know how to get cheap internet connection apart from obvious cafes,bars etc?Only need for FaceTime,browsing etc. Thanks

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Mobile phone
The phone cards are only 5 TL and they last for about a half hour call to a UK land line - lots of phone boxes around. I have lived in Turkey for 11 years and still find this the cheapest way to call UK.

esb1841

Mobile phone
Hi,homeowner in Tuzla,spend 3/4 weeks twice a year there.Question,what's best method for phoning home and to avoid excessive charges from my mobile phone company?Its to UK.
Also,anyone know how to get cheap internet connection apart from obvious cafes,bars etc?Only need for FaceTime,browsing etc. Thanks

I hate to suggest this but get yourself a virgin payg sim and asked people in the UK to phone you as incoming calls to most European countries including Turkey are free its not a good option for making calls

Article Details

Omentide

Mobile phone
I pay for my incoming Virgin PAYG calls. So check it out carefully. Though, to be fair, I have a very, very old contract.

Skype is cheaper. Free if both ends of the call have Skype and I pay just over £40 per year for infinite calls to UK landlines.

dazkad

Mobile phone
Just got this text from O2 today for pay monthly customers. Not sure if this helps

We're extending our O2 Travel service. From 14 July 2016, you can now get all the minutes, texts and data you need in 30 countries outside Europe for £4.99 a day (£3.99 a day in Turkey). And we only charge you for the days you use it.

Find out more: O2 | Help | O2 Travel Update

Usage terms apply.

juco

Mobile phone
ı cant be doıng wıth those bloody mobıle phones hardly ever use mıne

Topped up mine about 2 years ago with £15, dont think I have used any of it so far.

I know we are all different but I can never understand why people encourage being interrupted with phone calls at any time of the day (or night) on a mobile.

Each to our own I suppose.

kibris

Mobile phone

for ınternet ı thınk your best bet would be a turkcell VINN dongle--89lıra now for 15gıg whıch ıs supposed to last 3 months--mıne never does!

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Mobile phone
The WhatsApp now lets you phone for free to anyone else who has the phone app.
Been using it this last week and its better quality than Skype.

Could not agree more, if you and your friends or family have a "smart" phone, WhatsApp is a great way to talk to others.

There is also WhatsApp Web for messaging. It synchs all your chats with others on both the web site and your phone. For those of us with big fingers and small screens this is a great way to stay in instant touch.

WA also works on Turkcell data plans although a voice call can eat up your minutes pretty quick.

I have spent more than an hour on WhatsApp with my daughter in Belgium and a friend in Holland. The reception using our "iffy" ADSL village connection was crystal clear and never dropped once.

WhatsApp also allows you to send those annoying kat and kid pix to all your friends and relatives as well as videos.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Mobile phone
Topped up mine about 2 years ago with £15, dont think I have used any of it so far.

I know we are all different but I can never understand why people encourage being interrupted with phone calls at any time of the day (or night) on a mobile.

Each to our own I suppose.
I think a friend of mine would sooner struggle through a heart attack than turn his phone off, even when going to bed.

Juco, to be able to use any of your credit you need to turn the phone on first. Maybe that's the reason I always get the message 'The phone is not connected, please try later'

Some time ago I used to have a app on my PC that allowed me to send text's from my PC, but for whatever reason I no longer have it, but it was good for contacting people who were not on-line.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom