Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > Turkish Moves > Ask A Turkey Related Question > TV/DVD/Sat

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2005, 16:18   #1 (permalink)
Non Active Member

merlin will become famous soon enough
Arrow Watch Sky TV Movies & Sports LIVE in Turkey using Broadband?

Its available at no extra charge to existing Sky customers....

Seems a great way for anyone living in Turkey to get Sky movies and Sports if they have a family member or friend in the UK with an existing account that they are willing to share with you....

Sky digital customers who subscribe to Sky Sports 1 & 2 can get Sky Sports from Sky by broadband, while Sky Movies 1 & 2 subscribers can get Sky Movies from Sky by broadband. Sky customers who subscribe to our premium Sky World package can get both Sky Sports and Sky Movies from Sky by broadband - all at no extra cost.

How does it work?
Sky by broadband uses secure peer-to-peer (P2P) technology, powered by Kontiki, to distribute Sky Movies and Sky Sports videos via the Internet. Once a movie or sports video has been downloaded, Microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) software will prevent unauthorised viewing and will automatically delete the movie or sports video from your PC once your license to view it expires.

What are the system requirements?

Before installing Sky by broadband, please check that you meet the following requirements or recommendations. Your PC must have:

- Windows XP (Home or Professional)
- Administrator privileges (to enable you to download the application)
- A broadband internet connection of at least 512KB (1MB is recommended)
- At least 250MB free disk space for the installation
- At least 3GB free disk space for the media file storage (recommended 10GB)
- Recommended screen resolution of at least 1024x768, and 16 bit colour display
- Recommended 512MB of memory (RAM), but at least 256MB
- Windows Media Player 10 or higher (if you don't already have it, the installation process will help you get it)

The following applications will be installed along with Sky by broadband

- Microsoft.net Framework 1.1
- Flash Player 7
- Kontiki v51102.0 (KService/KHost)

What information will I need to register?

All you need is your name, address and your Sky digital viewing card number. If you don't know your viewing card number, simply follow these instructions:

- With your TV and Sky box switched on, press the services button on your Sky remote control
- Select option 4, System Set Up
- Select option 5, System Details
- The viewing card number will appear on your TV screen
- Press the Sky button to return to Sky viewing once you have noted the viewing card number

More info here....

http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/home
merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 15th December 2005, 16:22   #2 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Re: Watch Sky TV Movies & Sports LIVE in Turkey using Broadband

Seems feasible to me.... any comments welcome
merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 16:53   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

lorraine will become famous soon enough lorraine will become famous soon enough
Re: Watch Sky TV Movies & Sports LIVE in Turkey using Broadband?

ummmm... no... beyond the realms of reality for me.
lorraine is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 12:58   #4 (permalink)
In my dreams I'm dancing

Lynda has a spectacular aura about Lynda has a spectacular aura about

Was getting all excited until I read the requirements... can not get broadband above 256mb at the moment in Alanya. Have put in order for 512mb but that was months ago........... damn it. Will definitly keep this info on file..Thanks for the info
Old 16th December 2005, 16:22   #5 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Requires 1 mbit minimum according to their site

Merv!
merlin is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 18:11   #6 (permalink)
Amber

denise bannell is just really nice denise bannell is just really nice denise bannell is just really nice denise bannell is just really nice denise bannell is just really nice

I have sky now in England . So what do I do when I move to Turkey in Jan.
I don't quite understand.
Old 20th December 2005, 09:26   #7 (permalink)

Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice Marc is just really nice

Hi Guys,

As i found out about this from this forum i thought i'd give a little back having followed it through

I would do a walk through but as i'm trying to pack up my house and move to Turkey i dont have time sorry, but hopefully this will encourage someone else to do it.

So 1st it does work, and I think, really well it is definitly someone with ADSL in Turkey could viably use no matter what broadband connection they have (I'll come to that later)

2nd You need to register for an online account on sky.com, to do this you need the Sky Viewing card number, the Name of the Main Account holder and his/her postcode. you will need to provide other details but you could make these up as they are not verified by sky i.e. the account holders D.O.B. this process takes no more than 2 minutes

so you have your sky online account with a Username and password as created above.

3rd You then download the Sky Broadband program (it will point you to this after the creation of an account) about 45Mb. Install it.

4th Run it enter in the username and password and hey presto. (It is useful to have the latest mediaplayer and DRM (Digital Rights Management) software but if you dont, dont worry as Sky will point this out to you and provide you with a link to get both, how very helpful!

So, what does it provide best thing for here is for you to look at the demo on the link merlin provided above but in essense it is NOT live sky it is selected pre recorded programmes so if Man U are playing Chelsea dont expect to be able to watch using broadband, however they do have full matches that you can watch after they have been recorded.

This leads me on to the technology (if anyone is still there ) As it is NOT live feeds, the size of your broadband does not matter to the quality of the programme you receive it will just take longer. Sky say that a 1mb line will take the same time as the length of the programme to download so if you have 512 then obviously it will take twice as long and 2mb half etc..

Once downloaded you can watch and re-watch the programmes as many times as you like up until Sky's Licence to play that runs out, this i found to be anything from a few weeks to a year.

So will I be using it when i move over, Absolutly, the film library is imense and the sports library comprehensive at worst.

Take care and I hope this has encouraged some of you to try out this service as it is the way of things to come..

Marc
Old 20th December 2005, 22:20   #8 (permalink)
Non Active Member

lorraine will become famous soon enough lorraine will become famous soon enough

Thanks Marc, I am sure someone out there will give this a go, maybe my brother could give me his skycard number, nah...he is far too careful for that.. never mind good luck to all others can can access this.
lorraine is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 09:52   #9 (permalink)
In my dreams I'm dancing

Lynda has a spectacular aura about Lynda has a spectacular aura about

wow thanks for that. Talked to my sister and they are letting me have their Sky info so will let you know how it works out.
Old 30th December 2005, 16:20   #10 (permalink)

Tony Harris(ARKY) is on a distinguished road

Sounds good,but what are the set up costs and monthly subscriptions for obtaining broadband in Altinkum?
Tony Harris(ARKY) is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband , live , movies , sky , sports , turkey , watch