Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 27th February 2008, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
eating on the floor

İn many of my Turkish friends houses we sit on the floor to eat ,we share soup and stews and other things from the same dish, sometimes even drink water from the same glass.
İn some houses a very low round wooden table is put in the centre of the spread table cloth,but i prefer just the cloth.
Although many Turks who live in towns use a table for guests more often than not when its just the family they will use the floor for themselves and the kids…. .and if its a large family gathering and there isn't enough room around the table..the floor is more practical.
Recently i had a meal in a very modern home with a large family get together..we were about 16 and children on top..so furniture was cleared in the salon and a place was made on the floor and down we sat.
İt has its pros and cons…if you are fat it isnt comfortable..(but i manage)…and if there are a lot of busy kids…nothing is dropped and broken.
Some Turks are becoming a little self conscious about this practice if they have foreign guests..which is a shame.
And have you noticed when Turkish coffee is handed round..there is normally just the one glass of water on the tray……and in the heat of summer your hosts will come around the room with a glass and a jug of cold water and offer it. You drink and then the glass goes on to the next person.
And in spite of the ughs and ahhs and oofs some of you may express for me this is the essence of hospitable behaviour handed down through the generations from the time when the Turks were nomadic and lived in tents. i for one would be sad to see the old ways disappear into the general lack of civility shown in the West.

Last edited by shirleyanntr; 27th February 2008 at 20:52..
shirleyanntr is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 27th February 2008, 20:45   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation
Re: eating on the floor

I have often heard someone's house being described as "so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor". That description could be used for any Turkish home I have been in. The Turks are so hospitable it's a shame to think they would feel self-conscious about their customs.
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 20:48   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,029 Posts
Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirley. Mike and I have been priviledged to share many meals with our Turkish friends in this way. I know many will turn up their noses at the idea of all eating from the same dishes and, shock horror no plates, but we loved the intimacy of these meals and felt proud to have been accepted and welcomed into their homes as part of the community rather than yabancis whose different ways had to be bowed down to and treated differently. And doesn't that glass of water somehow taste so delicious! Always served beautifully chilled, more often out of an empty cola bottle and straight from the fridge where it has been stored.

Carolyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 20:53   #4 (permalink)
Nadine in disguise

sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold sparrow is a splendid one to behold

I once had lunch with a Turkish family and we were sitting on the floor, I did like it a lot, there were fresh vegetables and everybody just picked what they wanted, or took a piece of the bread, I liked it very much, it all tasted so good
Seems you must be aware that the soles of your feet are not pointing in the wrong direction......
t I'm not the keen of drinking out of the same glass, and we all did get a glass

Afterwards we got a nice piece of cake with chocolate, my friend told me this family (the family was meant to become her inlaws, but that didn't turn out right) always ended a meal with a piece of cake
sparrow is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 20:59   #5 (permalink)
LOVING MY LIFE

Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,506 Posts
luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute luckycat68 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: eating on the floor

Yes its the same for me whenever i visit my hubbys Mum - Aunts - sisters etc
They always put a small wooden table on the floor and we share everything
I think it is great that they are still keeping up the tradition even though sometimes his Mum trys to give me a seperate plate and a Mug !! I tell her that i am quite happy doing what they do and NO special things for me,
I most admit with my bad back i find it very difficult to sit on the floor for long periods but i do my best !
Also when i visit his Mum in Afyon i normally have the pleasure of choosing the live chicken - to kill for our meal - that does put me off alittle - being an animal lover but i realise this is the " norm " so i go along with it
Wouldnt change it for the world !!
Old 27th February 2008, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
red

red has disabled reputation

shirley

we've bought cushions for our balcony area (rather than tables and chairs)and I have an idea in my head as to how the low table will look (haven't found THE right table) so we can eat in the traditional manner. It always looks so - comfy

My kids pick things up from my floor - erm(cemmac it is clean - if food is good don't waste it
red is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 21:14   #7 (permalink)

sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of sharon and eric has much to be proud of

I would be alright with my hips, they would need to get a hoist to lift me up. This is another great reason to lose weight, my goodness i would die of shame if i were invited to eat on the floor., and were unable to get again.

I love my computer, my friends live in it.
sharon and eric is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 21:19   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 2,228 Times in 936 Posts
Guz1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon and eric
I would be alright with my hips, they would need to get a hoist to lift me up. This is another great reason to lose weight, my goodness i would die of shame if i were invited to eat on the floor., and were unable to get again.
That occurred to me too. Have visions of my back locking and not being able to straighten up.
Guz1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 21:29   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

well if i can get up..just about....albeit undignified....anybody can.hah
Old 27th February 2008, 21:33   #10 (permalink)

sapper will become famous soon enough

I was in Kyrgyzstan last month and everywhere I went they eat on the floor - they even don't have a low table - just carpets with cloths over them. Bloody uncomfortable at first but as no other option just had to accept. Main meat is horse meat but you just eat it or STARVE
sapper is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
eating , floor