Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 7th September 2008, 08:27   #1 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute
Turkish Coffee

Here's a recent article I found on how to prepare Turkish coffee and how to read the coffee grounds ;

How to prepare Turkish coffee

You will need a special pot (that is called "cevze" in Turkish) to prepare Turkish coffee, a very fine grinded coffee (ask at the shop to grind the coffee as fine as possible !) some coffee cups and sugar.

Let's prepare 4 coffee cups of Turkish coffee. Add in the Turkish pot (“cevze”) two small coffee spoons for each cup of coffee, so for our 4 cups of coffee you will need to add 8 spoons of coffee. Fill one coffee cup with cold water and add it to the pot (for our 4 cups you will need to add 4 cups of cold water). So generally for each coffee cup you will need a cup of water.

original brass pot
to prepare Turkish coffee original

Original metal pot
to prepare Turkish coffee

If you ask for Turkish coffee in Turkey, the waiter will ask you if you want your coffee "sade" (without sugar) "az sekerli" (with a little bit of sugar) or "sekerli" (with more sugar). So according to your taste you will add sugar to the coffee as you prepare it. The normal amount would be 2 small coffee spoons of sugar for each cup of coffee.

So you added : water, coffee and sugar to your Turkish pot “cevze”. Cook the coffee until it boils.

Porcelain cup
for Turkish Coffee

Remove the pot from the fire, mix it and return it again so it boils a second time. Watch out because the coffee can pour over your stove ! The good Turkish coffee is the one that gives foam !

Add the coffee into the coffee cups and serve. As the Turkish coffee contains grounds of coffee, you should drink it very slowly, appreciating the flavor as the coffee ground settle down at the bottom of the cup.

A frequent question is: “When should I stop drinking the coffee ?” You should drink the coffee until you fell the coffee ground on your mouth. As the coffee ground is heavier then the liquid it will settle down at the bottom of the cup.

As soon as you finish drinking the coffee you can begin the “ceremony” of reading the Coffee grounds !

How to read the coffee grounds !

I will explain in a few lines how to read the coffee grounds. There are "experts" in reading coffee grounds and there are also books about it ! My explanation is a very basic one for beginners ! The Chinese were the first to read the future on the tea grounds, after it the Arabs started reading the future it a the coffee grounds. Today it is very common to read the coffee grounds in the Middle East.

The person that drank (Figure 1) the coffee should make the following procedureNote that this procedure can not be done by another person!) she should remove the saucer and put it up side down over the coffee cup as it is shown on the animation (figure 2). Then she should make some (2 or 3) small circular movements with the coffee cup and the saucer over it (Figure 3). After doing it, she should turn the saucer and cup all together up side down ( Figure 4). Some people believe that adding a coin on the top of the coffee cup would bring money to the person, so add one ! The coin will absorb the heat of the coffee cup.

Now you should wait until that the cup of coffee cool down. If you look at the coffee cup before it cools down, the coffee grounds will slip away and you will not be able to read the coffee grounds properly. So be patient and wait !

The person who read the coffee ground should "open" the coffee cup (Figure 5). Turks says “open” as they take the coffee cup and start reading the coffee grounds. If the coffee cup stays a little bit tight together with the saucer that means good luck and fortune! Nice start ! The bottom of the coffee cup means your heart or your house. So if the coffee grounds stays at the bottom of the coffee cup, that means you have problems at home or your heart is broken... If the bottom is clean that means the opposite !Everything is white and clean !

You will see around the coffee cup a lot of different images were formed. Here you will need a bit of imagination to see those images ! There are also some persons who has the power of clairvoyance and can see more than others...

Each image has a meaning, if you see: fish (big luck - happiness or money), dog (fidelity), snake (betrayal), cat (selfishness) and so on! The most usual figure is the fish that is represented by the coffee grounds in a similar form of a fish ( round image as an oval form). So several symbols can be interpreted as: rings (marriage), children (births), bird (good news), etc... Notice that the drawing does not need to be very defined! It would look like a modern art work !

You will also notice that you might find long lines, each one of these lines symbolizes a person. If you have 4 lines, it means that 4 people are getting together. You will have to look and imagine... so you will read the coffee grounds.

After you read the coffee cup, you should get the saucer and pour the coffee grounds over the coffee cup (Figure 6). In the saucer you will also see some images that can be read.

Turkish coffee is very common in Turkey, and it is also very common to see people reading each others friends' cup of coffee, this is a part of the Turkish culture! I hope you have enjoyed this article!

C

ps The little illustrations in the article haven't copied into the post - they were there when I did the preview post - don't know what happened. If you follow the link it will take you to the original article where you can see it all.

Last edited by ceemac; 7th September 2008 at 08:31.. Reason: To add a postscript
ceemac is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 7th September 2008, 09:02   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,029 Posts
Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Coffee

Or maybe the clean bottom means you've drunk too deeply!

It's interesting to know what they look for. One of our neighbours invited me around for coffee. Three or four other women were there and it became apparent that some sort of ritual was about to get underway. She sat there like a queen bee peering into each cup in turn and her "findings" or should that be "grindings" were met with giggles and oohs and aahs. She also read mine but told everyone else what it meant, not me! So I don't know if I'm going to have six husbands, ten children, win the lottery and drive a BMW! Oh well.

I know they took it all very seriously!

Last edited by Carolyn; 7th September 2008 at 09:15.. Reason: Sp.
Carolyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 09:03   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

interesting post..and while i'm not a believer in fortune telling i have to tell you this little true story.
one night (when we still had the restaurant) two Swedish women wanted some Turkish coffee and afterwards asked me if i knew fortune telling from the grounds..i didnt but Salman one of the workers who was from Gaziantep and could speak English said he could do it.
He did the usual stuff and patter with the first woman..and then became very serious with the second one..he told her that she had the start of a very serious health problem and he urged her to see her doctor when she went home..she laughed and said she was very healthy.She was in her late 40's
About 15 moths later..it was the very end of the season, this woman appeared one evening and asked if i remembered her..i did ..i never forget a face...and she asked if the fortune teller was around. (He wasn't,he had found an older woman and gone to live in Preston ..but that's another story)

She then told me how his words had affected her and she did go to the doctor for a checkup and a very small lump was found in her breast..she had a mastectomy and other treatment and was so far clear...so she had come back to Turkey simply to thank him as she believed he had saved her life.
Was this just a co-incidence or what?
Old 7th September 2008, 09:13   #4 (permalink)
Non Active Member

Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of Susan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn
Or maybe the cleam bottom means you've drunk too deeply!

It's interesting to know what they look for. One of our neighbours invited me around for coffee. Three or four other women were there and it became apparent that some sort of ritual was about to get underway. She sat there like a queen bee peering into each cup in turn and her "findings" or should that be "grindings" were met with giggles and oohs and aahs. She also read mine but told everyone else what it meant, not me! So I don't know if I'm going to have six husbands, ten children, win the lottery and drive a BMW! Oh well.

I know they took it all very seriously!
N o she maybe read your hubby would run off with a younger model, your children were going to spend all your money, and you were going to be riding round the village, wearing baggy trousers and riding a push bike.

Susan
Susan is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 09:17   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,029 Posts
Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute Carolyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
N o she maybe read your hubby would run off with a younger model, your children were going to spend all your money, and you were going to be riding round the village, wearing baggy trousers and riding a push bike.

Susan
Well I hope she also said where he will find the money to get his bad back, shoulder and knee fixed because he sure as hell is going to need it! Oh he'd better have a new set of batteries fitted whilst he's at it!

Carolyn is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee , turkish