Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 9th October 2008, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 21,098 Times in 7,183 Posts
shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute
internet bans

looks like we are headed for even more internet bans..the list is almost up to a 1000 already... there are some bad sites out there...but they are also banning scientific sites and some blogging sites ..and of course youtube is still off limits..i cant get it with a proxy service for some reason...and a lot of alternative servers are full of pop ups.
Anybody got any tips?
the following piece was in todays Turkish Daily News.

Internet bans necessary
Thursday, October 9, 2008

ISTANBUL - Turkish Daily News

Web sites will continue to be banned as long as they post content inappropriate for Turkish families, according to one top minister.

�Practices are needed to protect young people and the public at large from harmful material online,� said Transportation Minister Binali Yıldırım, speaking at the international CeBit Informations Technology Summit in Istanbul on Wednesday.

�Law 5651 sees as appropriate the establishment of precautions against material that might hurt children, youth and families. If these precautions are not enough, then the law sees a Web site ban as necessary,� he said.

The purpose of the law was not to actually shut down Web sites but was to �encourage the appropriate use of the Internet for the betterment of society,� he said. �The spirit and purpose of the law is to make civil society and public administration work together and thus keep the bans to as low a number as possible, bringing precautions to the forefront.�

Yıldırım said it was necessary for the Internet Security Directorate and the Internet Board to work together very closely in establishing content harmonious with the public good.

He said the use of the Internet was rapidly increasing, as the 4 million users in 2002 had grown to 33 percent of Turks using the Internet today.

�In six months, every household in Turkey will have access to the Internet; it is up to us to provide them with the education and equipment needed,� he said.
Old 9th October 2008, 13:39   #2 (permalink)
No Clique just Creak

flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold flowerpotman is a splendid one to behold
Re: internet bans

they have also changed text books for 8 year students . Leaving out significant parts of history
flowerpotman is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 13:40   #3 (permalink)
Non Active Member

ONLYME2 has a spectacular aura about ONLYME2 has a spectacular aura about ONLYME2 has a spectacular aura about

You should be able to get you tube usng www.hidemyass.com
ONLYME2 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 14:17   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute shirleyanntr has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks..just had a look at that one.
.ive tried anonymous and vtunnel and another one..none of them worked.
.but that one does..
great
Old 9th October 2008, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Shake It Baby...

Thanked 2,243 Times in 863 Posts
ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute ceemac has a reputation beyond repute

"they have also changed text books for 8 year students . Leaving out significant parts of history"

Can you elaborate flowerpotman?

As far as the internet ban goes, I do think it laudable that the government feels it has a moral responsibility towards the citizens - some sites are evil and vile - but I think it will be increasingly difficult to capture them all.

I try to make sure my teenage kids are clear on their surfing responsibilities and what information they 'give out' on the net, but it's impossible to monitor - so it's a good idea for a government to protect the vulnerable from certain websites, however I wouldn't put you tube in that bracket as they police themselves quite well.

C
Old 9th October 2008, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

i agree Craig some sites are dreadful i cant believe that people use them.
However i have mixed feelings about the amount of power in censorship that is now being wielded.
Books are being banned if they support creationism, healthy debate is being stifled,
Richard Dawkins site is banned,a lot of blog sites are banned,

this is from the Guardian

A Turkish court has banned internet users from viewing the official Richard Dawkins website after a Muslim creationist claimed its contents were defamatory and blasphemous.

Adnan Oktar, who writes under the pen name of Harun Yahya, complained that Dawkins, a fierce critic of creationism and intelligent design, had insulted him in comments made on forums and blogs.

According to Oktar's office, Istanbul's second criminal court of peace banned the site earlier this month on the grounds that it "violated" Oktar's personality.

His press assistant, Seda Aral, said: "We are not against freedom of speech or expression but you cannot insult people.

"We found the comments hurtful. It was not a scientific discussion. There was a line and the limit has been passed.

"We have used all the legal means to stop this site. We asked them to remove the comments but they did not."

Oktar, a household name in Turkey, has used hundreds of books, pamphlets and DVDS to contest Darwin's theory of evolution.

In 2006 his publishers sent out 10,000 copies of the Atlas of Creation, a lavish 800-page rejection of evolution.

Dawkins, one of the recipients, described the book as "preposterous". On his website the British biologist and popular science writer said he was at "a loss to reconcile the expensive and glossy production values of this book with the 'breathtaking inanity' of the content."

It is the third time Oktar and his associates have succeeded in blocking sites in Turkey.

In August 2007 Oktar persuaded a court to block access to WordPress.com. His lawyers argued that blogs on WordPress.com contained libelous material that the company was unwilling to remove.

Last April, he made a libel complaint about Google Groups, which was subsequently blocked.

He failed to ban Dawkins' book the God Delusion in Turkey after a court rejected his claims that it insulted religion.
Old 9th October 2008, 19:13   #7 (permalink)

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,785 Posts
alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute alison09400 has a reputation beyond repute

For about the past 10 days I've been able to access youtube through it's own website www.youtube.com ; and I know that other people in Kusadasi can do too. However there are some who are still seeing the banned page
alison09400 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 20:36   #8 (permalink)

abla is a jewel in the rough abla is a jewel in the rough abla is a jewel in the rough

Hi shirl
I can still get in via vtunnel..........but that is not the point!
Are the govenment so stupid to think that everyone in turkey will have the net!!!
Bloody hell how will they pay for a puter let alone ADSL(which by the way I am still paying double for)
abla is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 21:00   #9 (permalink)

abla is a jewel in the rough abla is a jewel in the rough abla is a jewel in the rough

bump
abla is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 21:20   #10 (permalink)

gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all gren is a name known to all

Try http://youtubeproxy.org/

Or read this you poor people..
gren is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
bans , internet