yeniyildiz

yeniyildiz
Understanding the recipe - help!
I'm a decidedly late learner in the kitchen area, so need some advice.

I've just bought a book (a US publication not a Turkish one) which contains all raw food recipes.

Alot of them call for 'raw sunflower seeds' sometimes soaked and sometimes unsoaked - to make pates, granola, museli etc

I've only ever seen sunflower seeds with hulls here - the thought of dehulling them one by one is daunting.(Ive never mastered the art of doing this with my teeth!) Do you think, if the seeds are going to be ground up in a food processor that the hulls could stay on? (The recipes don't actually specify that the seeds should be hulled - but maybe they are always sold like that in western countries?)

If it is definitely necessary, does anyone know of a place, online or otherwise, where I could buy sunflower seeds dehulled here? (I live in Fethiye)

VeeBee

In the UK they are on sale in all the supermarkets, but they are on the home baking section, rather than the ones that are elsewhere in the shop with fruit etc that still have the full shell or just the soft inner husk. Perhaps Kipa may have them over there. otherwise, try soaking the ordinary ones in water for a couple of hours to see if the hull will soften, and then put in an old tea towel and rub, and they may clean up.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You can buy dehulled sunflower seeds in the supermarkets in Fethiye.

brohandy

Are there any recipes for something like a good chocolate cake, but vegetarian, so it wouldn't use eggs, right?

VeeBee

Are there any recipes for something like a good chocolate cake, but vegetarian, so it wouldn't use eggs, right?
Try the BBC web site - they have some really good recipes
Eggless Chocolate Cake recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

85g Butter, plus extra for greasing
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
300g Self Raising Flour
100g Caster Sugar
25g Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
100g Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tbsp Golden Syrup

Heat oven to 160C/ fan 140C/ gas 3 and grease a 20cm round cake tin
Tip the butter, syrup and vanilla into a heatproof jug, add 300 ml boiling water and briefly whisk with a fork to combine
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl, then in tip in the butter mixture. Stir until you have a smooth batter, then scrape into prepared tin. bake for 50 - 55 mins until the cake is well risen and springy to touch. Cool in tin for around 15 mins before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
To make glaze, put chocolate and syrup into a small glass bowl with 3 tbsp of water, and microwave for 30secs on high until melted and smooth. leave to cool, then pour over the cake before serving

Enjoy for me too please - I am on a diet.:nono:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom