Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:26   #31 (permalink)

Thanked 4,441 Times in 1,462 Posts
kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute kale has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wheat Belly

The gluten free bread is very pleasant, ok toasted ,today found gluten free pasta in Asda , first I,m just going to change what I buy to gluten free, then will sort myself out with the fasting days , googled some. Gluten free meals and they looked good. So will use those on fasting 2days. See how I go

Thanks for this thread. Kale yvonne x
kale is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kale For This Useful Post:
nanamo (23rd August 2012)
Old 25th August 2012, 09:48   #32 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Thanked 2,086 Times in 660 Posts
Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update. I went shopping on an empty stomach yesterday - very unwise
I ended up buying some Polish pancake rolls with breadcrumb coating. And chocolate

So I enjoyed my naughty meal but felt very uncomfortable after. Lethargic and eye-lid droopingly tired. This morning I woke with a hang-over like headache which has gone after I drank some water. So today I'm sticking to my non-wheat regime and I am determined to stay off chocolate till I get back from Turkey which means no choccy for a month. Yikes!!!

Not going to weigh myself again till Thursday (day before we fly). I'll probably have 2 strict days in the week as well though not counting cals. My mum has lost 4lb since she joined me giving up wheat. My older brother has given up about 4 days ago and reports he has more energy. So seems to be going well for all involved
Miss Money Penny (25th August 2012)
Old 25th August 2012, 10:20   #33 (permalink)

Thanked 1,160 Times in 808 Posts
Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of Miss Money Penny has much to be proud of

If you don't have chocolate for a month you probably won't crave it any more, good luck!
I also try to keep off bread as it makes me bloated,
Old 26th August 2012, 13:52   #34 (permalink)
Els

Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all Els is a name known to all

Just read this article by a friend of mine who is a personal trainer. It makes interesting reading and so far I feel much better (and lighter!) for a wheat free, 5 days feed/2 days fasting regime.

"When it comes to dieting, you might think you just have to eat smaller portions and your waist will shrink. It is possible to lose weight on a diet of Weightwatchers cakes and cookies, but you won’t be healthy as you are not feeding your body the nutrients it needs. And as a result, you also won’t look healthy so you won’t achieve the body you want. So unless you want to be ‘skinny fat’, quality does matter.

An added bonus of eating higher quality foods is that you can eat a lot more of them and still lose weight. I don’t believe in starving yourself to be thinner. It’s not sustainable and you’ll end up putting all the weight back on as soon as you start eating ‘normally’ again. So make a lifestyle change that you can keep up for the rest of your life. Here are my top 10 tips to get you started:

1) Base your diet on whole foods. These are one ingredient foods that have been around since your great grandmother’s time. Think fruits, vegetables, lean meat, chicken, eggs, nuts and legumes. You can combine these ingredients to create hundreds of tasty meals. Flavour them up with herbs and spices which are virtually calorie free and have a lot of benefits, such as balancing your blood sugar levels. If you cook the majority of your meals from scratch you will find you feel a lot healthier and your weight will regulate itself as well.

2) Cut out as many processed foods as you can. If it comes in a box or a packet, it’s probably not going to do you much good. A lot of these foods are filled with chemicals which our bodies don’t recognise, making them hard to break down.

3) Remove wheat from your diet as much as possible. I know many of you have been led to believe that cereals like Special K and Shredded Wheat are really good for you, but they are the main reason why a lot of us are walking around feeling bloated most of the time. Our bodies struggle to digest wheat, particularly in its modern form, leading to stomach complaints and weight gain. I know bread products are tasty, but they are not doing your weight loss efforts any good.

4) Also, look to limit dairy in your diet. Many people are intolerant to dairy, without even knowing it, but once you cut it out you might find you feel a lot better. Replace it with almond milk, which is a tasty alternative. Steer clear of soy for reasons too numerous to go into here.

5) Cut out added sugar. You’ll find that the less sugar you eat, the sweeter real food tastes. Get your sweet fix from fruit instead of cakes and biscuits. If you do need a bit of extra sweetness, try a plant based sweetener like Truvia (available in most supermarkets). Also beware of hidden sugars. Check labels of any foods you are consuming (although if you aren’t eating processed foods this shouldn’t be a problem).

6) Cut down on caffeine. The odd cup of coffee or tea can be very beneficial, but if you are so reliant on it that you can’t function without a brew, it’s time to cut back. Try replacing your cuppa with green tea or herbal tea. There are some great flavoured ones out there so experiment and find one you like.

Cut down on caffiene

7) Drink more water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, yet the majority of us are walking around dehydrated. Making sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day. Two to three litres, particularly if you’re active, will help flush out all the toxins and make sure your body is equipped to function properly. Just upping your water intake will help you to lose weight more quickly. It’s such a simple thing to do, so make sure you keep drinking.

8) But when I say keep drinking, I don’t mean alcohol. We all know alcohol isn’t particularly good for you, but did you know it can completely halt your weight loss efforts? When you drink alcohol, your body sees it as a poison, so it stops all of its regular activity in order to process this toxic substance through your liver. This means your body stops digesting food, burning fat etc, while the alcohol is in your system. And considering most of us tend to eat more of the ‘bad’ foods after we’ve had a few drinks, this is a double whammy. So try to cut it out as much as possible while you’re trying to lose weight. Then when you’re looking hot, you can go to the pub or club and enjoy a few drinks (in moderation of course!) or enjoy that glass of wine with dinner, knowing that you’re in good shape to deal with it.

9) Don’t drink your calories. Stay away from soda drinks and fruit juices that are just sources of empty calories. They cause your blood sugar to rise sky high followed by the inevitable crash, causing you to reach for more food. And diet sodas are no better. They trick your body into thinking you’ve consumed calories and it will try to make up for them later. Not to mention the dodgy sweeteners full of chemicals which can do untold damage to your body. I don’t mind you having the odd diet soda if it helps you get through a craving but try not to make it a habit.

10) Follow the 80/20 rule. If you are being good 80 per cent of the time, then those odd times when you indulge in something ‘naughty’ won’t hurt. Just get back on track at the next meal and don’t use it as an excuse to go off the rails completely. One bad meal won’t undo your hard work, it might even do you some good, but taking a whole weekend off will ruin days of being virtuous.

Ok, so those are my quick tips on what to eat. If you need more in depth advice, please get in touch at [email protected]."

This blog post first appeared on the Herts & Essex Observer’s website on 15 August
Els is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Els For This Useful Post:
arrian (26th August 2012), lesley northall (1st September 2012), mafalda (26th August 2012), Peaceplant (26th August 2012), Sunny Seasider (26th August 2012)
Old 26th August 2012, 15:13   #35 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute Peaceplant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with every single point she makes and already follow every one of them so that's great.

If I was to add one or two more things (as well as the 5/2 fast I am trying to incorporate) I believe in trying natural healing foods such as coconut oil, eating foods that have a alkaline effect on the body which is pretty much eating healthy anyway plus bearing in mind the principles of the 4 day rotation diet which basically is easing the strain on your digestion by eating various food groups only every 4 days. So you might have a poultry day Mon then not have poultry again till Friday etc. Sounds complicated but the principle is simple enough.

As for the wheat-free diet I went to Asda for some black jeggings today and I'm a size 24 normally so I though 22 should be ok now. Tried them on and ended up with a size 18!!! Maybe George is generous but it made my day nevertheless
Sunny Seasider (26th August 2012)
Old 26th August 2012, 15:26   #36 (permalink)
Life is so precious

Thanked 22,150 Times in 10,008 Posts
Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute Sunny Seasider has a reputation beyond repute

I too follow quite a few of those points thanks Els for sharing. As posted before we harldy ever have processed foods, I always prefer to cook from scratch, and make my own sauces. Yes a treat now and then is M&S Cauliflower Cheese, but I made my own on Thursday and have to agree it was better, lol. Very fattening but as said a treat. I am quite lucky with my weight control, but I would love some pointers to get rid of bloated feeling, Kim, I'd like a typicel days menu you have under this regime, would really appreciate that.
And well done on your loss, I would say George are not generous in their sizes, so it really is working for you.

As for the chocolate, I give up Chocolate for lent and have always adored the stuff and craved for it, but just lately I don't have the same cravings and again, this is a real treat now, whereas before I could get the choc munchies and just go through a whole bar easy.

You can afford to have many treats whilst in Turkey, you deserve them.
Peaceplant (26th August 2012)
Old 26th August 2012, 17:41   #37 (permalink)
Cat mad and unashamed

The interesting thing about giving up wheat is that apparently you will naturally start to consume approx 400 cals less per day as wheat stimulates appetite. And honestly my appetite has been better though I have learned not to test myself going too many hours without something cos that's when it's easy to eat something unsuitable. Today I got up late and rushed out on an errand so skipped breakfast so all I have had is some roast chicken (admittedly with some mayo and barbeque sauce but I never said I was perfect ) and I had a little melon and 3 brazil nuts and half a dozen strawberries. I am not hungry at all so I doubt I'll be making the chicken stir-fry I had planned - if I get peckish I will nibble a couple of oatcakes or have a banana.

As for a typical day - yikes that's hard as I eat such a varied menu really. But here goes;

Breakfast: I take a psyllium husk capsule, drink plenty of filtered water and have a cuppa and allow 30 mins before eating. Then I have either porridge with semi-skimmed organic milk, sometimes Oatabix though it's not a patch on Weetabix sadly or I might just have a banana.

Lunch: I may have a slice of toasted gluten-free bread (I haven't had chance to experiment with making my own wheat-free bread yet) with coconut oil spread on with a poached egg or fried egg in coconut oil plus baked beans sometimes or tinned tomatoes. Another favourite might be an onion, potato and pea omelette.

Dinner: It could be wheat-free pasta with bolognese sauce or veggie pasta bake. My favourite would be jacket potatoes done in the oven (don't possess a microwave) with cottage cheese, tuna and salad.

Throughout the day I might need a nibble so I go for a babybel cheese or an oatcake, always have nuts in to nibble and fruit. If I am desperate for something sweet I love dried figs.

Drinks wise I have 2 or 3 cuppas a day (decaff) and tend to drink water. My naughty thing is Asda 50% fruit cordial which is quite sugary but a bottle lasts me weeks and I never have sweeteners. I still have one sugar in my tea which is very hard for me to give up though I prefer coffee sugarless.

I never buy processed stuff except odd things like Babybels and never eat or drink low-fat/diet/sugar-free/light foods as invariably they are full of horrible other stuff. If I want cake I prefer to bake my own but I won't be doing any of that till I get back from Turkey as it is going to be exciting finding recipes without wheat and I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I am feeling so full of optimism after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and feeling as though I would never be healthy. I'm 50 soon and I want to be fit and not fat
Sunny Seasider (26th August 2012)
Old 26th August 2012, 17:50   #38 (permalink)

heldo is on a distinguished road

my mother... after a life time of dieting (78 YEARS OLD) found out 2 years ago she has celiac.. (gluten intolarance). since then she has dropped 3 stone in weight without trying, and feels great for the first time in her life and she still eats loads of food!!

So there is defo something in it. im starting tomorrow....
heldo is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heldo For This Useful Post:
Peaceplant (29th August 2012), Sunny Seasider (26th August 2012)

Tags
belly , wheat