Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 6th January 2010, 19:59   #1 (permalink)

Broom is on a distinguished road
Markets near Dalaman

Hi All, Happy new year.
We are hoping to come out end of March beginning of April to furnish our villa at Lakestone, so any advice or info on buying furniture etc etc to kit out our villa will be much appreciated. Am particulaly wanting to know if there are any good markets near by that sell copper style lanterns for candles also glass mosaic light shades.
I did notice a furniture shop on the Ortaca road and another shop that looks to sell outdoor furniture - are there any others?
How about bedding, sheets and waffle blankets?
Was told by Dalaman Deli when we met up with her that it is best to bring small electrical items from England - kettle, toaster, iron. Is it best and cheaper to get dvd player as could get here in sales.
Obviously we would be most grateful for any other advice on furnishing a villa any of you have.
Thanks
Sally & Alastair
Broom is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 6th January 2010, 20:00   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 21,420 Times in 10,933 Posts
saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute saoirse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets near Dalaman

I reckon a trip to Fethiye would give you a lot more choice

Henrik er min hjelte.
saoirse is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:18   #3 (permalink)

Thanked 1,021 Times in 310 Posts
rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of

Hi,

It's probably better to bring bedding with you-you have a much better choice (and so much cheaper) at Tesco, Asda etc.

There is some nice furniture in Dalaman at Orhanlar etc. Ruth is right-it's much cheaper to bring small appliances with you.

Every time we go we still take stuff with us-never have anything nice to wear.

Ann

Last edited by KKOB; 7th January 2010 at 04:04..
rosehillgirl1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
CJD

CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of CJD has much to be proud of

Might be worth a trip to Marmaris, small electrical goods are
very cheap in Kipa, I wouldnt waste weight carrying them
out there. If you are buying white goods from a local shop
they will probably throw in kettel, toaster, iron. mine did
but they are not local to you.
I find bedding difficult to find, duvet covers especially so
I usually take those out
Old 7th January 2010, 08:59   #5 (permalink)

pembelu has a spectacular aura about pembelu has a spectacular aura about

i agree about bedding, its not cheap here unless u find deals in the supermarkets..things like matress protectors ( still cant find one to fit out bed as its about a queensize we are told)..fitted sheets (ones with elastic on corners) and real cotton sheets- i have bought sheets here before that say cotton but dont feel or wash like it. I have also found some of he pillow cover sizes to vary. Sevicoglo supermarket..not sure on spelling is in Ortaca..upstairs they sell random things-Also Mugla has some deals & big supermarkets as its a student zone
I found hairdryers overpriced so i brought mine out. furniture shops wise- go to the one above sutlu supermarket in ortaca by ugur dershane i think it is...we got our bedroom set from their and they threw in a super matress for free -in total it was 1500 tl cheaper than other places for even the same/similar items and they deliver outside of ortaca and assemble themselves.....i dont recal name but they are really nice too (NOT mutlu giyim they were horrid). if i remember name i will post it up.i think someone also mentioned in another post the nice furniture place in dalaman on the main shopping street- think a lady owns it? has many floors...i havent been for 2 yrs but they had discounted items and classy ones too.anyone recal the name?
the other idea is Ikea -we recently went to izmir and bought a great bed cover/ sheets set etc- wasnt cheap but washes great and its really modern unlike the flowery ones i was shown here for same/similar price in shops.
there is a good rug shop in ortaca too. near the sutlu supermarket i mentioned just round the corner to the left (opposite a little cafe that sells beer i noticed!). they cut them all to shape and have the nicest quality/ modern patterns and cheapest ones i have seen locally.

Last edited by pembelu; 7th January 2010 at 09:06..
pembelu is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 10:31   #6 (permalink)

Thanked 1,021 Times in 310 Posts
rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of rosehillgirl1 has much to be proud of

Hi,

The furniture shop on the main street in Dalaman is Orhanlar-it has a big Arcelik sign outside-lots of nice furniture and always very reliable. It's spread over three floors.

There is also a Sevikoglu supermarket in Dalaman like the one in Ortaca-very good for kitchen and household goods-but not bedding, towels etc.

Orhanlar also have a good selection of rugs-although there are other rug shops further down the street from there. I don't know how the prices compare.

We tried to buy what we could within Dalaman where possible-it's not a huge place and we felt that it was only fair to spend money in the town if we could find what we needed locally.

Ann
rosehillgirl1 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 12:22   #7 (permalink)
GnD

GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold

Hello Broom,

If you know certain things you are after it really does help to take photo/pictures either from internet or eg from Argos magazine.

Ann ‘s advice is good and saves petrol buying mostly in Dalaman. Orhanlar is one of the most reasonably priced and has less vivid coloured furniture. The lady speaks rather good English too.

Kelebek (the red butterfly symbol on main airport road) is great but pricey.

idaş on left side of main road into Ortaca approx three roundabouts in before main traffic lights into Şevikoğlu, is very good and they were so nice and helpful.

Beko shop on right side of Dalaman road driving away from airport 250 metres back from roundabout to Ortaca or Fethiye. Fatma and the owner (who went to Uni in UK) have good English and have been good for all our beds (superb singles)and white goods. Even ordering in special items if they did not have what we wanted. Delivery is next day too.

Just up from Beko cannot remember the name –nearer the roundabout- is a lovely man that sells hardware (tools, tap, connections, sprinklers, paint etc) at very good prices, far better than most others I have found and they don’t change extra for yabancɪ!. The owner was so patient helping us find the right paint. Unfortunately, turned out to be a different brand so required the shop below.

Fila Boya in Dalaman (there are two now we use the one at the top airport end) are helpful and so charming! I always leave this shop with a big smile! They gave me the 5 screws I wanted last time (no puns please) for free! And led me all over the High Street for the bulb type, battery type and flask I was after. All this and Çay! They are so kind which meant we were so pleased to give them our trade for paint at a later visit.

Mavi store is good for little bits.

Not found any bedding with consistent sizing or a nice “feel” (wasted money on some from Dalyan market stall that were such odd sizing and just could not make myself understood, and he sent his brother to deliver and got so cross with us as, yet we didn’t get what we paid for! His tea towels were great though) agree hairdryers are very expensive so take these items over.

Hope this helps and enjoy the log fires in the restaurants in the evenings in March we will be.

Debbie
Smiler (7th January 2010)
Old 7th January 2010, 16:09   #8 (permalink)

Broom is on a distinguished road

Wow-
Thankyou all for all that information. I will make a note of all your suggestions.
Does anyone know if there is a market near Dalaman that is open in March/April?
Also where is the best place to get light shades? When we were on holiday in Kalkan last Aug there were loads of markets and shops that sold these beautiful mosaiac glass light shades and candle holders - where can I get these from in Dalaman?
Dont know what to do about bedding as the bed sizes will be european i suspect, so english double and king bedding wont fit will it? Wasnt planning on buying quilts as it will be too hot during the spring/summer, was just going to get those cotton waffle style blanket/cover - what do you think?
Thanks so much,
Sally
Broom is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 16:18   #9 (permalink)

Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of Smiler has much to be proud of

The market is open on Thursday's all year round although it is predominately orientated toward everyday items such as fruit & Veg and clothes.

The best places to buy the glass lamp shades is either Dalyan or Gocek but as these items are more orientated towards tourists, there may not be that many shops open selling these items until April.

Having said that there a number of electrical shops selling various light fittings and shades.

In my opinion , you won't need quilts if you're staying during the summer months, mid/late April - Mid Oct, sheets/throw-overs being sufficient, (summer months we generally sleep on top of these). I'm out in March/April and will definately be using my quilt then.

We purchsed quilts from the market, (Gocek and Dalaman) but bought over our own fitted sheets and quilt covers, (Turkish tastes can be "colourful").
Old 7th January 2010, 16:32   #10 (permalink)
GnD

GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold GnD is a splendid one to behold

Agree with Smiler, the colours alone are a deterrant, also the feel is not as smooth. We struggled to find any Kingsize let alone Super which we have. Ikea in Izmir is your best bet if you do not want to take it over. But Matalan always have Egytian cotton ones at reasonable prices at this time of year and got these for the single beds.

The mosaic lights are extremely pricey in Gocek and are found in most towns- as is everything. In Fethiye you will get a a larger choice and reasonable pricing. As with everything try to check a display price first if not haggle. And be prepared to walk away without it. It's not the British mentality but is expected.

As for more conventional lights there are two light shops in Ortaca high street (two streets closer to Dalaman and parallel to the roundabout in road. One is Erel Elektrik and the other I cannot remember. One of these we purchased from but cannot remember which to recommend. But the service was great when you buy it includes fitting!!

Dalaman market is great for value fruit and vege although it is increasing. Bim is also but check sell by date - the staff are lovely.

Best markets for items are Fethiye market (Haggle here) and Ortaca you can haggle but not so expected or effective here. There is a rather good stall here doing M&S and New Look clothing?? Not sure how but we buy from here every trip.

Just enjoy yourself and don't rush it as you will feel tempted to decide quickly.

Debbie
PS Last March G & I were absolutely frozen and so wish we'd had a duvet. Needless to say we are taking one this time - and cover :P

Last edited by GnD; 7th January 2010 at 16:34..
GnD is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
dalaman , markets