Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates
Old 1st September 2013, 04:38   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P

Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,471 Posts
arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute
Hedgehogs??????

I've lived in my house since it was built 16 years ago, and every once in a while have seen the odd dropping in my back garden and thought it was a rat passing through. 2 or 3 days ago though, there was quite a few droppings and so I was naturally concerned.
this morning I've woken up with a headache, so came down for a coffee and pain killer, and looked out of the patio doors to see if there were any more droppings, and was amazed to see a hedgehog running around the patio. and I do mean running!
I've been watching now for about half an hour and it's using the patio like a race track, just running round and round in circles!
now, I don't know whether to encourage it by feeding it or not, as I've had a look on the web where it says to feed cat food, but also tells you that once you start to feed them, don't stop. but i'm going on holiday soon, so what will happen then?
has anyone got any advice for me, please? many thanks.
Old 1st September 2013, 07:32   #2 (permalink)

Thanked 7,848 Times in 2,764 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hedgehogs??????

Yes, ask a neighbour of feed them whilst you are away. Cat or dog food is the correct food - no milk though. You will enjoy watching them, I'm sure.
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilsjw For This Useful Post:
arrian (1st September 2013), Susiepink (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 07:46   #3 (permalink)
Kalkanite

Thanked 2,893 Times in 601 Posts
Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute Kalkanite has a reputation beyond repute

We had a hedgehog fall into our empty pool in February. After falling in again, we moved it, slightly dazed, onto the hillside. It then reappeared at the gate, but didn't return to the garden.
Kalkanite is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalkanite For This Useful Post:
arrian (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P

arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute arrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilsjw View Post
Yes, ask a neighbour of feed them whilst you are away. Cat or dog food is the correct food - no milk though. You will enjoy watching them, I'm sure.
i did think of this, but nobody would be able to get into the garden while i'm away, and also my next door neighbour has a cat, and as she goes away for several days at a time, I don't think the cat gets fed properly, so would probably eat the cat food I put out. I am thinking of some kind of nest box box, but i'm not sure of the size or type, any suggestions? thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to arrian For This Useful Post:
Mavisteve (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 08:17   #5 (permalink)

Thanked 7,848 Times in 2,764 Posts
Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute Hilsjw has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need to worry about a nest box. If you have plenty of dried leaves in your garden in Autum they will use this to help them hibernate and make their own nest. Maybe they will produce some babies - that will be nice to watch them growing. Your neighbours cat will soon discover the food left out, especially if it's hungary. Are you coming out to Turkey, if so, where abouts ? We are flying out tomorrow.
Hilsjw is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 08:43   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P

not Turkey this time, going to Marbella at the end of September, which is why I didn't think it wise to start feeding the hedgehog for some weeks and then not having any food available while i'm away. maybe I can get some food under the shed for now, I don't think the cat will be able to get under the gap, it's too narrow, but the hog might manage it. and then fingers crossed for while i'm away that it's still coming back later. thanks for your help, and have a great holiday!
The Following User Says Thank You to arrian For This Useful Post:
Hilsjw (2nd September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 09:22   #7 (permalink)

Susiepink will become famous soon enough

Ah, I love hedgehogs, I would feel very blessed if one decided to take up residence in my garden
:-)
Susiepink is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susiepink For This Useful Post:
arrian (1st September 2013), lucie (1st September 2013), Mavisteve (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 09:46   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 7,546 Times in 3,123 Posts
juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute juco has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back in our old house we used to put dinner scraps out each evening, at that point I didnt know what I was feeding but the food was always gone next day, then we spotted a hedgehog so started putting the scraps out at a certain time each evening when it was dark. Almost to the minute the hedgehog arrived and through time also came with her young family. In addition we then got a fox, and that started arriving with her cubs.
This feeding took place about 6 feet from our french doors, I loved the nightly entertainment.

Don't believe those who by wealth are sheltered from reality.
juco is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juco For This Useful Post:
arrian (1st September 2013), Susiepink (1st September 2013)
Old 1st September 2013, 10:08   #9 (permalink)

Susiepink will become famous soon enough

Years ago I used to visit an hotel in Torquay, and very night at dusk when the staff put out the scraps of food on to the middle of the lawn there used to a load of badgers. It was an amazing site, but sometimes they used to fight and they are vicious !
Susiepink is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 10:34   #10 (permalink)

coupe will become famous soon enough coupe will become famous soon enough

Weve had hedghogs for years and this july one of the hoglets was sitting in the sun during the day it was the size of a goose egg.
i was concerned because i had not seen this before.
i contacted a local lady who takes in and cares for hedghogs
she took this one in as it was under weight and to young to look after its self
JO will feed her up until she reaches 450 grams and then she will be released back into our garden.
There is an online petition for hedgehog friendly gardens.
epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53153

Last edited by coupe; 1st September 2013 at 21:45.. Reason: CAPITOLS
coupe is offline send PM Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
Mavisteve (1st September 2013)

Tags
hedgehogs