Property Buying Guide
  Didim Google Map
  Weather Station
  FUN
  Arcade Games
  Daily Crossword
  Jen's Chat Room
  Lira Exchange Rates

Go Back   Turkish Living Forums > All About Turkey > Bodrum Forum > Yalikavak Forum

Post New Thread  Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2008, 21:49   #1 (permalink)

joshnada is on a distinguished road
Question Buying in the Bodrum Peninsular

I am visiting the Bodrum area in April with a view to purchasing a sea view property any suggestions on good emlaks & is it better value to buy resale than new? What is the rental potential & what are the best areas? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? thanks.jb
joshnada is offline send PM Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 11th March 2008, 00:58   #2 (permalink)

paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of paddington bear has much to be proud of
Re: Buying in the Bodrum Peninsular

Sea view properties are in short supply if you want them near to a town and on the flat. You can get new build sea views and resales, but as the Peninsular is so hilly they are up the sides of hills and often with no dolmush service, especially in the case of new builds which can also be a long way from the shops. In fact some of the ones we looked at were so high in the hills I felt sick looking out from them. (I don't like heights).

As to the rental potential, you could look on a site such as holiday lettings.co.uk which will give you some idea of the rents charged and the times that the properties are rented out. I believe, however, that supply exceeds demand due to the fact that flights can be expensive and you can get a package for a very reasonable cost.

Also be aware that many properties may be in an area restricted to foreign buyers, so unless you want to go the the vast expense of setting up a foreign company, you cannot buy these properties. We spent two years looking for a property on the Peninsular and bought in Side last year.

Chris and Sue

Last edited by paddington bear; 11th March 2008 at 01:02..
paddington bear is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 08:53   #3 (permalink)

Relocation man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnada
I am visiting the Bodrum area in April with a view to purchasing a sea view property any suggestions on good emlaks & is it better value to buy resale than new? What is the rental potential & what are the best areas? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? thanks.jb

I take from you post here in the Yalikavak Forum that your prefered to buy in the Yalikavak area. There are many properties available here with a sea view some that you have to lean over the balcony to see but there is quite a few options here the area is well spread out and you can get a great range of properties here. Rental market is ok as mentioned buy Paddington bear there is a lot of buy to let properties on the bodrum peninsula.

Depending on how what you are looking for you can find properties fron £50,000 upwards. to excess of £1m.

The main restricted areas are from Tugutreis mosque (ish) area through to Bitez. (In sight of Kos).

As for agent well. I work with a few and it is hard to find good honest agents but they do exist.

As for what sort of property should you consider well you should look at both New builds and resales as you will get a good cross section and New are good but you may fall in love with a lovely traditional villa that are full of character and an established garden.
Old 11th March 2008, 09:57   #4 (permalink)

greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold

JOSHNADA - please refer to your private message inbox
greensman01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
tjd

Thanked 1,443 Times in 820 Posts
tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future tjd has a brilliant future

And one from me too.
tjd is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 21:14   #6 (permalink)

Gill is just really nice Gill is just really nice Gill is just really nice Gill is just really nice Gill is just really nice

Joshnada

Do plenty of Internet research regarding the different towns etc on Bodrum Peninsular, or are you set on Yalikavak as you have posted this here? You can also get a feel for prices and types of property.

As regards resale compared to off plan /new build – you do see what you are getting with resale and hopefully the snags will have been ironed out. Off plan particularly is just a computer image of what might be I always think.
If you are thinking of being here all year round think about the heating and insulation as it can be chilly in Dec and Jan.

Sea views generally are up very steep hills with no shop nearby (at least out of season) and out of season transport options maybe limited. There are certainly some places I wouldn’t want to drive to and from on a daily basis – whatever the view!!

Sitesi living has it problems –paying the monthly fee and not being satisfied with the service – and maybe there are communal rules you don’t agree with. On the other hand having your own grounds means there is only you to pay for swimming pool and garden mainteneance. Swings and roundabouts!!

There is certainly lots of property available so you can afford to be choosy and to take your time, I don’t think properties are selling quickly at all at the moment. Maybe there is haggle room??

Get an independent solicitor for the sales process to protect yourself with a good contract, whatever the emlak says. Be prepared for a lot of bureaucracy.

Rental market –I have no personal experience but my feeling is it is a bit hit and miss as flights are still quite expensive and families can get all-inclusive for not that much more than flights.

There is a lot of advice on the forum (some may be from vested interests but this info should be in their signature)

Good Luck

Gill (retired and spending as much time as possible in Yalikavak)
Gill is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 21:58   #7 (permalink)

greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold greensman01 is a splendid one to behold

Sound advice Gill
greensman01 is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 08:21   #8 (permalink)

cweir is on a distinguished road

I have an apartment for sale with a stunning sea view. Please pm and I will give you some details.
Thanks
Colette
cweir is offline send PM Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 15:56   #9 (permalink)

lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light lynne is a glorious beacon of light

As its already been said........swings and roundabouts re new and resales.
We have some great resales but generally its Turkish that buy them rather than Brits. New with sea views are getting further up the mountains or expensive when near to the sea.
When thinking of rentals........consider the Turkish market not just European.
We get loads of enquiries from Turkish wanting to rent here in Gundogan for a solid 3 months, June July and August.
And they have started enquiring for the last couple of weeks to get a good head start. On the minus side.......Turkish do not pay as much as Europeans for rentals.
Lynne
Old 16th March 2008, 19:27   #10 (permalink)

Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough Sweetnighter is a jewel in the rough

If still interested pm me and will discuss
Sweetnighter is offline send PM Reply With Quote

Tags
bodrum , buying , peninsular